Uniforms

lenobird90

Any talk of new uni’s or something different one game for uniforms for the upcoming season?

fourthandshort

no idea .. but I hope the next uniform investment is some really sharp looking helmets. Petty or not .. it would help with recruitment and look really sharp on TV.

TIMMY

A word on helmets. I love sharp helmets. I just bought 10 speedflex for my old high school. With a discount from my Riddell guy that I've know for 20 years it was $380 each. to outfit a college team with a second helmet you're looking at $40,000. Chump change for Oregon. A bite in the budget for us.

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
A word on helmets. I love sharp helmets. I just bought 10 speedflex for my old high school. With a discount from my Riddell guy that I've know for 20 years it was $380 each. to outfit a college team with a second helmet you're looking at $40,000. Chump change for Oregon. A bite in the budget for us.

anyone got Cam Meredith's phone number ??

StLRedbird

More and more these days, I feel like a relic of another time. But hasn't gofundme been used for many efforts of this financial scope?

Virginia Redbird

This is more a college thing for recruiting I guess. Outside of the Throwback uniforms you see the NFL players wear now and then I don't recall the pros changing helmets even though I think just about all of them have alternate jerseys (like the Bears Orange this season). I don't see the Birds having alternate helmets and personally I like the current helmets. An alternate color jersey would be nice though and while still expensive it would be a great deal cheaper than a second helmet. Nothing has changed much in the last several years on the uniform front though and I don't expect much will change.
On a different note it is too bad that there is nowhere to order a Redbird jersey that is not cheap looking or that you can pick a number. The jersey on the official Redbird web page is really cheesy looking and is not a Nike jersey. The one at the Alamo on-line store is at least a Nike brand like the team but it comes with number 16 only. Nothing against Kolbe but I am not a QB guy. I would rather be able to pick a different number. I know it is most likely nothing more than the economics of it. Probably not a whole lot of these jerseys being sold and if you look at other college web stores the "team" jersey with option to select numbers is somewhere around $200-$250. Probably more than the typical ISU fan will pay. I would buy a jersey but I will not spend money on either of the two that I have found available. The one on the official ISU store looks like a jersey you would by an 8 year old at Walmart. My 2 cents anyway...

Adunk33

Staff member
A lot of the purchasing jerseys concerns goes back to the university making money off a players likeness. "Oh, I'm going to get No. 25, for Robinson." Though I love jerseys and would happily buy a legit replica, I understand that ISU doesn't want that likeness issue to be so overt. Other universities that make millions of dollars a year through athletics will do it, because what do they care? It's kind of nice of ISU to try to not take advantage of their athletes (in this way, anyway.)

Virginia Redbird

Adunk33 said:
A lot of the purchasing jerseys concerns goes back to the university making money off a players likeness. "Oh, I'm going to get No. 25, for Robinson." Though I love jerseys and would happily buy a legit replica, I understand that ISU doesn't want that likeness issue to be so overt. Other universities that make millions of dollars a year through athletics will do it, because what do they care? It's kind of nice of ISU to try to not take advantage of their athletes (in this way, anyway.)

So I guess the university has no issue making money off of just Kolbe then? I could see this rationale if there was a name on the jersey but numbers? Numbers come and go...does the name Coprich rings a bell? i would think that selling a generic jersey with just a number is quite a bit different that selling one with a name and number or putting the players photo on the latest video game cover. ISU does not put names on the jerseys anyway so it really seems like a non issue to me. Besides the cheapo looking jersey at the official store you can put any number and/or name on it that you like so if you want 25...you can get it but just on a cheap and cheesy non-Nike jersey.
So this still does not explain why the Goredbirds website does not have a Nike jersey for sale. Does the university have a deal with Nike of some type? My guess it is still simply cost. The Nike version would be much more expensive and maybe not a big seller. The personalized version on-line is less than $65 and you know a Nike jersey would be at minimum over double that price.

RedbirdSF67

https://www.fanatics.com/college/illinois-state-redbirds/jerseys/o-50+t-23392083+d-31550123+z-8-3640048842

SgtHulka

I hear they are flipping the Bird on the player's chest upside down so it looks more natural to them. Added benefit is it also confuses the opponent who will go from staring a a right side up Bird from the sidelines to an upside down Bird on the field

bb fan

Speaking of Walmart, I do have to give them kudos. I was in the Walmart just off Veterans for the first time in years. Many big, bold ISU flags hanging overhead down the main aisles. Very nicely done.

Virginia Redbird

bb fan said:
Speaking of Walmart, I do have to give them kudos. I was in the Walmart just off Veterans for the first time in years. Many big, bold ISU flags hanging overhead down the main aisles. Very nicely done.

Nice they are displaying the ISU colors but I still despise Walmart. 175 checkout stations and no more than two people manning them...ever! :x

Reggie Redbird

Virginia Redbird said:
Adunk33 said:

So I guess the university has no issue making money off of just Kolbe then? I could see this rationale if there was a name on the jersey but numbers? Numbers come and go...does the name Coprich rings a bell? i would think that selling a generic jersey with just a number is quite a bit different that selling one with a name and number or putting the players photo on the latest video game cover. ISU does not put names on the jerseys anyway so it really seems like a non issue to me. Besides the cheapo looking jersey at the official store you can put any number and/or name on it that you like so if you want 25...you can get it but just on a cheap and cheesy non-Nike jersey.
So this still does not explain why the Goredbirds website does not have a Nike jersey for sale. Does the university have a deal with Nike of some type? My guess it is still simply cost. The Nike version would be much more expensive and maybe not a big seller. The personalized version on-line is less than $65 and you know a Nike jersey would be at minimum over double that price.

I don’t know if it is Kolbe or the fact they were produced in 2016. Some schools are switching to doing #1 and the current year for their #’s on mass jersey sales. It could be they produced a certain number for ISU already and are still selling them.

If Kolbe were to switch numbers, I don’t see those jersey numbers changing with it.

TIMMY

SgtHulka said:
I hear they are flipping the Bird on the player's chest upside down so it looks more natural to them. Added benefit is it also confuses the opponent who will go from staring a a right side up Bird from the sidelines to an upside down Bird on the field
:lol: