UNI @ ISU 2/17

Adunk33

Staff member
Birds are 1 point favorites. No Phil or Taylor.

Retro night with Smithson and the guys in attendance.

A win here should make it VERY difficult to end up on Thursday in Saint Louis. We'll need Boogie and Ike to hit some shots. No one on their team should be able to guard Elijah, he just needs to play within himself. Keyshawn says he feels good.

Chicagobirdfan

Adunk33 said:

A win here should make it VERY difficult to end up on Thursday in Saint Louis. We'll need Boogie and Ike to hit some shots. No one on their team should be able to guard Elijah, he just needs to play within himself. Keyshawn says he feels good.
Wouldn’t a win here clinch us not playing on Thursday? Or even a loss here and losses by Evansville and ISU blue?

IHateWSU

Chicagobirdfan said:
Adunk33 said:

Wouldn’t a win here clinch us not playing on Thursday? Or even a loss here and losses by Evansville and ISU blue?

I believe you are almost right. I posted earlier if Indy St and Evansville lost both this week we are in, but we do need one loss by UNI somewhere to clinch in this scenario. If UNI wins out and we lose out we tie and they win the tie break over us. I think either an ISU win or 1 more loss by UNI, Indy St and Evansville keeps us out of Thursday. Of course there are other ways (Missouri State losing 2 of last three, or Bradley losing out) that would also work in our favor.

RBFANTOO

How sad is it that we are playing for a win to avoid playing on Thursday in Saint Louis?
I really wasn't predicting this before the season started. I guess it's wait until next year.
Also, could someone please tell DN that if you are 7 feet tall and hold the ball below your waist a small 4 foot guard can steal it.

Adunk33

Staff member
IHateWSU said:
Chicagobirdfan said:
Adunk33 said:

I believe you are almost right. I posted earlier if Indy St and Evansville lost both this week we are in, but we do need one loss by UNI somewhere to clinch in this scenario. If UNI wins out and we lose out we tie and they win the tie break over us. I think either an ISU win or 1 more loss by UNI, Indy St and Evansville keeps us out of Thursday. Of course there are other ways (Missouri State losing 2 of last three, or Bradley losing out) that would also work in our favor.
:text-+1:

I should have said a win here would "all but clinch us a top 6 seed." If we win tonight, a lot would have to go wrong for us to play Thursday. Coming into the game we have a 3% chance of being the 7 or 8 seed.

ricohill

I think with a win the only team in the bottom that would even still have a chance of passing us would be Indy State.
-Valpo and UNI would be eliminated.
-Evansville would be eliminated because even if they won would be 2 games back with 2 to go and lost to us twice so can't pass us.
-Indy State could still tie us if we lost the last two and they won the last two. However, they are about 80 spots behind us in the RPI which would be the tiebreaker.

Basically, just win the darn game today and everyone gets to relax for two weeks heading into arch madness.

cpacmel

ricohill said:
I think with a win the only team in the bottom that would even still have a chance of passing us would be Indy State.
-Valpo and UNI would be eliminated.
-Evansville would be eliminated because even if they won would be 2 games back with 2 to go and lost to us twice so can't pass us.
-Indy State could still tie us if we lost the last two and they won the last two. However, they are about 80 spots behind us in the RPI which would be the tiebreaker.

Basically, just win the darn game today and everyone gets to relax for two weeks heading into arch madness.

Trees can’t pass us if we win one of our last 3.

Redbirdmike

I agree with Phantom, losing F-Ing sucks! Given the injuries we understand leaking to the finish line like this, but I reallly thing it's important that this team feels like it CAN win again. I'm not even sure that's the case psychologically right now until Phil comes back. At NO time in the second half of the Bradley game did I believe we were going to win that game. Even when we drew to 6 points Substitutions throttled all momentum we had built up. With everyone back I will feel that we have a legit "Punchers Chance" against anyone in St. Lou. The game today vs. Nortjerm Iowa is our best chance (for sure) to pull one out and keep us out of the Play-In game. We need 60 Minutes of Hell from our guys! This is too important to let up off the gas. Even with the 6th Seed no one, but Loyola will be a prohibitive favorite over anyone else in St. Lou. If Phil returns for either Drake or Loyola we have an oppprtunity if we play close to gain that "I Beiwve We Can Beat Anybody' mentality back going into At. Lou. CRITICAL GAME TODAY.

rdt99

Phantom: Where are you living now and what are you doing? You were a great leader of the student section and we need someone like you to bring the students together again.

Trey_Guidry4three

This is a must win game!! We can't embarrass ourselves on national tv at home against an inferior uni team. No excuses tonight!!

Birdswin

A good time to revive MTXE - our current set of players are lacking in mental toughness. MT is what you need to win neutral site and road games - especially if you have to fall behind in the second half - offensive discipline and mental toughness, go hand-in-hand.

SoCalRedbird

ISU 68
UNI 64

Del Yarborough's teammates are on campus. It's Retro Night. We're at Redbird and Milik and the boys are not losing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

V Boy

With Keyshawn back and being at home I think we can win our next two games if the effort is there and the turnovers are 13 or under.

Give extra possessions to UNI and Drake and you will be going down.

RedbirdMan

UNI-70
ISU-56

I don't think there is anyway ISU wins this game with no PF and no TB. I'm thinking UNI probably out rebounds ISU by 100.

IHateWSU

I have some hope Phil is doing better and getting close to playing. Last night on Twitter, there was a video of the current Birds meeting Gene Smithson and others from the teams we are honoring this weekend. At the end, Phil was in a practice jersey talking with one of the old players. My guess is if you are wearing a practice Jersey you are actually practicing.

Birdswin

Interesting item - the UNI Panthers team chartered bus is parked on my street??? in North Normal just off of Raab Road on Cheyenne Lane.

dpdoughbird06

UNI beat Evansville in their last game but looked awful. They didn't score a FG in final six minutes, if I recall. They are not good. If officials had called any fouls on them (UE shot ZERO free throws!) I think they lose that one.

Even without Phil we can play well enough to beat this version of UNI at home. But it will be ugly, because Coach Jake likes it that way.

HT59

Birdswin said:
A good time to revive MTXE - our current set of players are lacking in mental toughness. MT is what you need to win neutral site and road games - especially if you have to fall behind in the second half - offensive discipline and mental toughness, go hand-in-hand.

:text-+1:

Top Bottom