UNI goes down

Cindy00

Knew it would be a tough game. UNI is always a well coached team and plays hard. We were sloppy at times and missing layups but we still pulled out the victory. Freshman Abbie Aalsma had some huge three pointers for us. I hope someone else can take out UNI in Moline but if this ends up being the championship game it will be a good one.

Huge shout out to their team/program for wearing Simone's name on their warm ups. Two coaches and programs that have a lot of respect for each other.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Another big game with Drake on Saturday! Then the final four games are all teams under .500 in Valley record so hopefully a win @ Drake and then hold on to win the regular season title.

I assume the WNIT also automatically invites regular season conference champs?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Answering my own question, it's the best team not to make the NCAA, so essentially yes.

The postseason field consists of 32 automatic berths – one from each conference – and 32 at-large teams. Thirty-two spots in the Postseason WNIT are filled automatically by the best item available in each of the nation's 32 conferences. If a conference's automatic qualifier team declines the WNIT invitation, the conference forfeits that automatic spot, and that selection goes into the pool of at-large schools.

Redbird222

Abbie Aalsma was one of the keys yesterday. I was hoping to see her play more against MSU. UNI was all over Mary and it was obvious they were not going to let her shoot the 3. They allowed Abbie more space and she delivered. Bullman delivered on open 3s as well. It will be interesting if we play them in the MVC Tournament. I think we will need to get Wilson going in that game and cut down on the TOs. I see them taking Mary out of the game again and I am not sure we can count on Bullman and Abbie to go 6 for 8 from 3.

MadBird

Abbie Aalsma was one of the keys yesterday. I was hoping to see her play more against MSU. UNI was all over Mary and it was obvious they were not going to let her shoot the 3. They allowed Abbie more space and she delivered. Bullman delivered on open 3s as well. It will be interesting if we play them in the MVC Tournament. I think we will need to get Wilson going in that game and cut down on the TOs. I see them taking Mary out of the game again and I am not sure we can count on Bullman and Abbie to go 6 for 8 from 3.
First time I saw Ms. Aalsma play was last year about this time in the Wisconsin state tournament. I remember writing on this board that I wasn't sure how much she'd help, because she seemed kinda thin, not physical. But at the time, she was a tremendous all-around player - shoot, pass, defend, rebound, etc. What I've seen this year is that she has held up pretty well physically, and seems to be the kind of all around player that Coach G seems to like. Glad to see her get some PT - she's kind of #1 or 2 off the bench at this point.

Reggie Redbird

First time I saw Ms. Aalsma play was last year about this time in the Wisconsin state tournament. I remember writing on this board that I wasn't sure how much she'd help, because she seemed kinda thin, not physical. But at the time, she was a tremendous all-around player - shoot, pass, defend, rebound, etc. What I've seen this year is that she has held up pretty well physically, and seems to be the kind of all around player that Coach G seems to like. Glad to see her get some PT - she's kind of #1 or 2 off the bench at this point.
Aalsma plays so fundamentally well, especially for a freshman. She will have a big role with the team for everyone we’re losing. Handles the ball nicely, sharp shot, and understands the assignment given. There are games I’m shocked she doesn’t play more, especially if key players are struggling that game or have a bad match-up.

I would much rather play UNI or Drake in the tourney than MSU or SIU. Our loss to UNI at home, Paige was trying to play sick. If she is healthy, I think there is a very good chance we win that game. Although we went 3-1 vs MSU/SIU, we looked like we could have been beaten in any of our wins, especially vs SIU.

Belmont will be interesting. We played them at their place an walloped them most of the game. If we play them up in Moline, we should have more of a home court advantage. Honestly, looking at StL vs Moline, if you want your Birds to compete for championships, Moline is your better option.

cubird

Hopefully, the Lady Birds gets their back up center back by the Valley Tourney.

normalbird

UNI loses again, this time to Belmont 82-77. Illinois State beats UIC 66-55. Illinois State and Belmont now tied for 1st place.

View attachment 975
We should all be Drake fans Saturday. They play Belmont at the same time we will be playing Valpo. If Belmont loses to Drake and we eat Valpo, the ‘Birds would be in sole possession of First Place with two games remaining.

Reggie Redbird

Hopefully, the Lady Birds gets their back up center back by the Valley Tourney.
Post depth is tough right now and Wilson has been in foul trouble most games. Wright-Gaskins has the physical tools to play with anyone in the conference if she can stay out of foul trouble.

Pretty awesome for our program right now. 20 wins and counting. A tourney title this year and a chance to sweep both championships. A great time to be a fan of this program.

Top Bottom