UCF Football Troll Job

RedbirdNation24

ICYMI, UCF has declared themselves the National Champions, and will even be hanging a banner. So...does this mean we can hang an NCAA Tournament banner for 2017? :lol:

https://twitter.com/ucf_football/status/948388332270227456

Metamoron

Actually, I kinda like it. Got sqeezed by a lousy system, beat the team that beat both finalist, undefeated.

Let’s see if Alabama or Georgia will play them in a home and home. Of course with their coach leaving, this may be their one shot at glory.

BTbird

I think this means that we won the National Championship last year!!!!! Who needs the NCAA tournament?

RedbirdNation24

Oh I agree that they got screwed. I like that they're taking a stand like that. Reminds me of what Dan did last year with his tweet asking P5 teams to play us. A good troll job, but a troll job nonetheless.

bombay

I agree that UCF was screwed in the typical fashion for non-p5 schools. Freaking hypocrite jay bilas thinls he's their champion.

bb fan

Kinda of proves Coach Spack it right.

College athletics is rigged by the P5's.

SgtHulka

MadBird said:
Buffett said:
They did beat Auburn who beat both Alabama and Georgia...

Waiting for the annual daisy chain, cpacmel, to designate the Redbirds the REAL champs!!

Total Red your table is ready

Hamdonger

Twitter post. Ok, whatever. There's, no doubt, an argument where one can say 'we got skee-roooo'd."

Hang a banner as "National Champions?" I don't know, man...

SoCalRedbird

UCF didn't get screwed. If UCF and its staff truly felt that way, Scott Frost would not be packing his bags for Lincoln. He left because they will always suffer the same fate. As we all know, it's the burden us non-P5ers face.

Much like ISU getting snubbed last year in basketball, it's truly unfortunate that the NCAA cannot accommodate an equitable championship system. UCF was a FUN team to watch. The Memphis / UCF conference championship game was the most exciting FBS game of the season IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RedbirdNation24

SoCalRedbird said:
UCF didn't get screwed. If UCF and its staff truly felt that way, Scott Frost would not be packing his bags for Lincoln. He left because they will always suffer the same fate. As we all know, it's the burden us non-P5ers face.

Much like ISU getting snubbed last year in basketball, it's truly unfortunate that the NCAA cannot accommodate an equitable championship system. UCF was a FUN team to watch. The Memphis / UCF conference championship game was the most exciting FBS game of the season IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed. And the scheduling problems that high level mid-major basketball programs face are 10x worse for football. P5’s have nothing to gain from playing lower level teams in non-conference because if you lose just one of those, you’re done.

cpacmel

SoCalRedbird said:
UCF didn't get screwed. If UCF and its staff truly felt that way, Scott Frost would not be packing his bags for Lincoln. He left because they will always suffer the same fate.

Frost was born in Lincoln and grew up there. He also played and graduated from Nebraska.

He didn't have to coach UCF thru their bowl game. Most don't. He did. Says a lot about him right there.

Bird Friend

cpacmel said:
SoCalRedbird said:
UCF didn't get screwed. If UCF and its staff truly felt that way, Scott Frost would not be packing his bags for Lincoln. He left because they will always suffer the same fate.

Frost was born in Lincoln and grew up there. He also played and graduated from Nebraska.

He didn't have to coach UCF thru their bowl game. Most don't. He did. Says a lot about him right there.

Never been a Nebraska fan, but it has been sad how much they've struggled. Frost seems like a great fit. I hope he can get them back to national relevance.

Adunk33

Staff member
bombay said:
I agree that UCF was screwed in the typical fashion for non-p5 schools. Freaking hypocrite jay bilas thinls he's their champion.

I've been on him about it on Twitter. I don't understand how he can be so blind to not see he wants 10 teams from the ACC to make it to the NCAA Tournament every year, but complains when UCF doesn't get in the CFP. Non P5 is Non P5. Simple. Either your with the "little guy" or against them.

But by UCF's standards, we should hang a banner recognizing last season's MBB NCAA Tournament appearance!

Reggie Redbird

A couple thoughts:

1.) UCF and the American agreed to play by the FBS system. What they should have fought for was a 6 team playoff where a G5 team ranked in the top XX of the CFP rankings got the 6th spot. They could have also fought for an 8-team playoff where the highest ranked G5 team got an auto-bid.

2.) That being said, they put their money where their mouth is and paid their coaching staff their national championship bonuses. Some schools may not have done that.

There were some undefeated non-BCS teams that could have played for the title if there was a 4-team playoff and potentially even won. Think Urban Meyer's 2004 Utah team (beat several teams that were ranked or finished ranked)the 2010 TCU team that ultimately finished 2nd (same thing). Both 2009 TCU and Boise State that played each other in a great Fiesta Bowl match-up could have made it.

The P5 did get smart and absorbed Utah and TCU into their folds. If Houston kept things going, I figured they would do the same thing and eventually Boise St. if they can throw up some more 11 or 12 win seasons.

crazzymark

Living in Orlando/Kissimmee, there has been a lot of chatter, ESPN has gone out of it's way to say that UCF is nothing more than a 3rd rate child in Florida. I you look at UF schedule, they played 2 lower FCS teams and the lost to the good and beat the teams that the MVC would pummel. So UCF does deserve to be in the top 6 in the final ranking but wont due to the NCAA lack of respect. But as I stated before, ISU and UCF are a lot alike . Now with the coaching additions that are a step up form the staff last season, I see the the Redbirds are going to make big noise this season. As long as Brock selects the QB that doesn't lock into a receiver 8 of 10 pass plays. Everything else is good,.

bombay

I'm pretty sure TCU was P5 when they went 13-0 Andy Dalton's Sr season. They got the shaft, too. No Alabama Invitational berth.

cpacmel

bombay said:
I'm pretty sure TCU was P5 when they went 13-0 Andy Dalton's Sr season. They got the shaft, too. No Alabama Invitational berth.

Mountain West conference back then for TCU

Top Bottom