Transfer - LB Paul Engram

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Paul Engram, a junior college linebacker who started at Western Michigan, has committed to sign with Illinois State football.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/955547061113511936

DannyCooksey

does this mean he began his career at Western Michigan or does it mean he was a STARTING player at Western Michigan?

not trying to be a smart-a$$. either way. good sounding player.

Total Red

Staff member
DannyCooksey said:
does this mean he began his career at Western Michigan or does it mean he was a STARTING player at Western Michigan?

Fair question. I'm not finding any stats for him at WMU so I believe he began his career at WMU but he was not a starter and he has played very little. But remember, BJ Bello hadn't played much either.

TIMMY

Started his career at WMU. Did not play.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/3051626/Paul-Engram
Should have 2 years left.
Played at COD last year.
http://www.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2017-18/players/paulengramug19

ChiRedbirdfan

DannyCooksey said:

Laughing as I had the same exact thought!

MadBird

Here's a little more, from his WMU signing. Not sure that this is a game changer, so to speak, but the more we have on board the better, I guess:

https://www.hustlebelt.com/wmu-bron...football-recruiting-lb-paul-engram-commits-to
The Loyola, Michigan native also holds an offer from Eastern Illinois. He's considered a Top-50 prospect in the state of Michigan.

Despite his smaller frame for a middle linebacker, Engram packs a mighty punch when he hits. He has good instincts, and wraps up while driving through the ball carrier well, but the smaller frame combine with less than ideal agility and athleticism are likely why he's not ranked higher and seeing more offers

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
Here's a little more, from his WMU signing. Not sure that this is a game changer, so to speak, but the more we have on board the better, I guess:

https://www.hustlebelt.com/wmu-bron...football-recruiting-lb-paul-engram-commits-to
The Loyola, Michigan native also holds an offer from Eastern Illinois. He's considered a Top-50 prospect in the state of Michigan.

Despite his smaller frame for a middle linebacker, Engram packs a mighty punch when he hits. He has good instincts, and wraps up while driving through the ball carrier well, but the smaller frame combine with less than ideal agility and athleticism are likely why he's not ranked higher and seeing more offers

so his HS scouting report (i.e. "smaller frame" comment) was based on him weighing 200 lbs in HS. He apparently took the comment to heart and is now up to 235 lbs ... more than big enough for D-I now. We'll see what hi agility looks like .. but we've had MLBs who were not very fast and did quite well.

I think we have ourselves a serious hitter .. if he knows the position, his lack of athleticism will be less of an issue.

Welcome to Redbird Nation Paul Engram .. we love defense here .. be ready to work !!

fourthandshort

just watched his video closer ... I like this guy. Not real agile, but very tough, seems to have good footwork and willingness to read plays ... and he is a serious hitter.

JHBird

Watching his HS highlights he looked bigger than 205 lbs. Kinda reminded me a bit of Tyree Horton. If he can play anything like Tyree then he's a big plus. Both are big hitters.

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
just watched his video closer ... I like this guy. Not real agile, but very tough, seems to have good footwork and willingness to read plays ... and he is a serious hitter.

that's my personal #1 criteria for a LB. gotta be a hitter.

TIMMY

I'm looking forward to watching Paul for the next 2 years. JC football is about dead in Illinois. COD has done an incredible job keeping their program alive. When you look at their schedule, well, it's pretty weak. It includes a couple D3 JV teams. We'll see how Paul transitions. Water seeks it's own level. He's a tough kid and should do well.

fourthandshort

Agree with Horton comparison, though Horton was clearly more accomplished. This guy looks like a diamond in the rough. And he's was good enough at 205 lbs in HS to get a schollie from a top flight MAC school .. his story reads like he fell thru the cracks .. size, speed .. or maybe grades were also an issue. Fleck had lot of Chicago area connections .. maybe that is how a Detroit kid who went to WMU, wound up at COD.

Either way, this guy can hit .. like most transfers, he'll need to acclimate to system, so he needs to deal with that initially. I really hope they squeezed him in time for spring term .. i.e.e spring ball .. hugely important for transfers to be here for spring ball. Plus need to get him used to our academic expectations & support.

Anyone know if he is here for spring ??

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
DannyCooksey said:
fourthandshort said:

that's my personal #1 criteria for a LB. gotta be a hitter.
Hitting and intelligence. In my opinion, the smartest guys on the defense have to be the LB'ers. If they don't do the right thing, you are in trouble.

ISUBU

fourthandshort said:
Anyone know if he is here for spring ??

Doesn't appear to be, but technically a student could still add classes with departmental permission. Sometimes international students are delayed, and arrive this late. We're one week into the semester.

I remember a player years ago transferring into the program in the fall after classes had begun...and actually after the season had begun. More rules make that more difficult these days. Anyway, the player who joined the team in the second week of September, ended up starting most of the games and dominating.