Ticket Policy

schoolsportsfan

If there is anyone who can explain the ISU ticket office policy of not allowing there to be a single seat left in a row, I would like to hear the explanation. Saying that this is standard industry practice or the computer system does not allow for this to occur is not a viable answer. Here is the scenario:

I needed two tickets for the UIC. There were three seats available in the upper bowl row 7, section 223. Again, I only needed two tickets. I selected two of the three seats only to find out that I could not purchase the tickets because it will leave one seat open in the row. Why? This forces me to move up to find a row that has 2, 4, or more seats open in order to purchase just two tickets. Someone who needs three tickets then gets to sit closer because they would be purchasing all three while the person who needs just two has to sit higher or in a different section because the purchase of two tickets leaves one seat. How does this make any sense for a program that is dying for people to come to games? Because of the policy, I have chosen to not attend at all. Call me a fair weather fan if you want but the only way I can express displeasure and total disagreement with the policy is to not spend money on tickets. I didn't realize ISU was such a powerhouse that they would be willing to save one seat in the upper bowl rather than sell two tickets. Wake up ISU---you are not a premier basketball program. You should sell any amount of tickets that a customer wants even if it is at the expense of leaving one single seat open in a given row. I really do not think the UIC game on December 18 will be a sell-out. The Bradley game is not even a sell-out anymore. But the almighty ISU athletic administration has a ticket policy that makes zero sense for a program that is lucky to get 5000 people to attend a non-conference game (announced crowd of 3700 last Friday) and maybe 6500 for a good MVC matchup. When you start regularly selling out, go with the current policy. Until then, you should sell every ticket you get a chance to sell.

Flagship08

It is indeed a widely used tactic. One I tend to agree with. Otherwise there would be single seats everywhere and would encourage a practice of picking seats so there is a “buffer” between you and the people next to you since single seats are rarely sold.

Sellout or not, at the very least it packs more people closer to the court which is ideal IMO. Perhaps on game day they can lighten the restriction but in general I agree with the practice.

Redbird222

Flagship08 said:
It is indeed a widely used tactic. One I tend to agree with. Otherwise there would be single seats everywhere and would encourage a practice of picking seats so there is a “buffer” between you and the people next to you since single seats are rarely sold.

Sellout or not, at the very least it packs more people closer to the court which is ideal IMO. Perhaps on game day they can lighten the restriction but in general I agree with the practice.
Exactly ... what if there were 4 seats and I picked the two middle seats creating 1 empty seat on each side. I agree with the policy and it is widely practiced. I would be concerned if they didn't have this policy because it would mean they were operating on software that is antiquated.

jamminjamarsmiley

With an arena that holds 10K, and an anticipated crowd of 4K, I am not sure why this sort of restriction is in place. It is used across the country, I have encountered it when trying to buy tickets to various events including concerts etc..

It might make sense if ISU drew crowds of 9K each night... Don't know when that will happen... Not anytime soon.

I know this doesn't really help for ordering online but I have also run into this exact issue. But.... I have called the ticket office and explained what seats I want and they have just sold them to me. No questions asked. (I am not a large donor or somebody with pull... Just a low peasant)

ChiRedbirdfan

Flagship08 said:

:text-+1: the policy makes sense. Can not be leaving singles all over the place. Odd number groups (3,5) will show up and fill out the lower rows.

SgtHulka

I doubt ISU operates the ticketing system. The restriction likely comes from the ticketing agent.

I've run afoul of this as well trying to get extra tickets

redbirds2000

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Flagship08 said:

:text-+1: the policy makes sense. Can not be leaving singles all over the place. Odd number groups (3,5) will show up and fill out the lower rows.
Half of the place is empty. There are empty seats scattered throughout the lower bowl all the time. If I was ISU, I would sell every empty seat I could and be VERY thankful someone cares enough to buy any amount of tickets!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seven

It is common across the industry. I’ve run into this often purchasing tickets online at college football stadiums.

However, RA doesn’t sell out so it’s moot to apply it here... at least in the upper deck. I’d apply it to lower bowl but not upper bowl. Not sure if software allows it. But it makes sense to not leave open seats in the lower bowl.

SgtHulka

Seven said:
It is common across the industry. I’ve run into this often purchasing tickets online at college football stadiums.

However, RA doesn’t sell out so it’s moot to apply it here... at least in the upper deck. I’d apply it to lower bowl but not upper bowl. Not sure if software allows it. But it makes sense to not leave open seats in the lower bowl.

C'mon. It's more fun to blame it on ISU. And yes, it's most likely the seat selection service providers config. I'm sure ISU doesn't have the power to tell them to override the programming in place so you can get 2 seats in the 6th row of the upper bowl instead of the 9th.

Call the office and they will

MarchArchPod

schoolsportsfan said:
If there is anyone who can explain the ISU ticket office policy of not allowing there to be a single seat left in a row, I would like to hear the explanation. Saying that this is standard industry practice or the computer system does not allow for this to occur is not a viable answer. Here is the scenario:

I needed two tickets for the UIC. There were three seats available in the upper bowl row 7, section 223. Again, I only needed two tickets. I selected two of the three seats only to find out that I could not purchase the tickets because it will leave one seat open in the row. Why? This forces me to move up to find a row that has 2, 4, or more seats open in order to purchase just two tickets. Someone who needs three tickets then gets to sit closer because they would be purchasing all three while the person who needs just two has to sit higher or in a different section because the purchase of two tickets leaves one seat. How does this make any sense for a program that is dying for people to come to games? Because of the policy, I have chosen to not attend at all. Call me a fair weather fan if you want but the only way I can express displeasure and total disagreement with the policy is to not spend money on tickets. I didn't realize ISU was such a powerhouse that they would be willing to save one seat in the upper bowl rather than sell two tickets. Wake up ISU---you are not a premier basketball program. You should sell any amount of tickets that a customer wants even if it is at the expense of leaving one single seat open in a given row. I really do not think the UIC game on December 18 will be a sell-out. The Bradley game is not even a sell-out anymore. But the almighty ISU athletic administration has a ticket policy that makes zero sense for a program that is lucky to get 5000 people to attend a non-conference game (announced crowd of 3700 last Friday) and maybe 6500 for a good MVC matchup. When you start regularly selling out, go with the current policy. Until then, you should sell every ticket you get a chance to sell.

Love the passion, but it's a normal policy.

My suggestion, get two tickets literally anywhere in the building. The game is UIC on a Wednesday Night, not exactly looking at a "Full" building. I am sure you will be able sit in a great seat no problem!

Go Birds!

ISU FAN 1

Flagship08 said:

IMO, nothing wrong with wanting a buffer. ISU should bend over backwards to sell any seat they can. Any practice that discourages fans is idiocy on their part.

ricohill

ISU FAN 1 said:
Flagship08 said:

IMO, nothing wrong with wanting a buffer. ISU should bend over backwards to sell any seat they can. Any practice that discourages fans is idiocy on their part.

https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/12/4/illinois-state-athletics-to-host-football-watch-party-prior-to-mens-basketball-game-vs-morehead-state.aspx

About as dumb as forcing people to buy a basketball ticket to go to the football watch party?? How about being fan friendly and just let everyone in free for both? I know some season ticket holder that sits on his hands for 2 hours during basketball games would throw a fit that someone else got in free, but seems like a no brainer to make this free to everyone.

Metamoron

Wow. I have heard a lot of reasons for not going to games but this is the first time I have heard this.

TheTruth

ricohill said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
Flagship08 said:

https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/12/4/illinois-state-athletics-to-host-football-watch-party-prior-to-mens-basketball-game-vs-morehead-state.aspx

About as dumb as forcing people to buy a basketball ticket to go to the football watch party?? How about being fan friendly and just let everyone in free for both? I know some season ticket holder that sits on his hands for 2 hours during basketball games would throw a fit that someone else got in free, but seems like a no brainer to make this free to everyone.

Giving away tickets does not make it fan friendly. If someone’s not willing to pay $10 to sit in the upper bowl, they’re not a fan anyway. I could understand if the fball game was after the b-ball and you’d let folks in for free but there’s no problem requiring folks to have a ticket for this event.

SgtHulka

ricohill said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
Flagship08 said:

I thought you weren’t buying tickets as part of your blackout policy. What’s it matter?

HT59

schoolsportsfan said:

This entire community has a long history of feeling the world revolves around them. ISU is no different.

HT59

schoolsportsfan said:

This entire community has a long history of feeling the world revolves around them. ISU is no different.

Top Bottom