Three games in...

gobirds85

And this conference is a crap shoot. Anyone, except bu, has a shot. Bu went 1 for 19 to end the first half tonight. Hehehe

Loyola showed today that they aren’t much. I thought Indy St was stout. Meh.

If the Birds can get their act together...

Birdman07

They can but will they win on the road at UNI? They should but will they? A 1 point win at home....

Baltimore Bird

Anyone can beat anyone on a given night. That has now been proven with the exception of PU, but they beat Penn State, so I am giving them credit for that game. We just need to get into the Top 6 and not have the extra game and we can win in STL. Many other teams can say the same thing.

Metamoron

Theee games in and

We are a two minute meltdown and a half court prayer away from being undefeated.

On the other hand
We have a 3 mInute lapse again and are almost a half court shot away from being 1-2

We are playing much better defense but our late second half aggressiveness or lack thereof continue to put in situations where our boneheadedness put us in peril.

Ujusneverno.

redbirdron1

I thought UNI drove the ball at will for 2/3 of the game - big disappointment.

We have no clue on how to close a game. Key's foul was right out of the Mikyle McIntosh tutorial.

I am pleased with Chas and maybe if Jefferson can fight through his funk we can be competitive.

Phantom

redbirdron1 said:
Key's foul was right out of the Mikyle McIntosh tutorial.

And in about the same exact spot on the floor :oops:

It's only three games but this has been one of the most random starts to an MVC season in recent memory. In fact, it's been like that for everyone's non-con too. Not trying to soften up our 7-6 start, as I was extremely critical and disappointed, but across the board the whole damn league has been just as inconsistent and ugly as us.

redbirdron1

Everyone knows the woes of Key and JJ's shooting - BRUNINGA could really help if he's able to slide his feet on D. Watched TB closely in warmups and his shot is so fluent and soft - hope he gets a shot at some minutes to see if he's healthy/ready.

bb fan

The difference was Key was trying to foul.

MM just had his arms up and the UCF guy jumped into him.

Adunk33

Staff member
redbirdron1 said:
BRUNINGA could really help if he's able to slide his feet on D. Watched TB closely in warmups and his shot is so fluent and soft.

Tinsley shoots really well in warm ups too.

I think Muller is trying to see how far he can go without TB to potentially save a RS. No need to burn a year if he won't get significant minutes. Also, Taylor missed what? 10 weeks? That's 10 weeks of no conditioning, or anything. His foot speed has probably regressed some. I'm not sure if he is back to full participation in practice. He started practicing on Dec 27 (less than 2 weeks ago) and was limited to 30-60 min. Another thought is that after having the recurring "stress" injury that David N'Diaye had, maybe Muller doesn't want to risk further injury by rushing Taylor back.

CaliRdBrd

Three games in and I've seen three nail-biters against teams with an rpi of 172, 157, 210. Color me unimpressed

ISU FAN 1

CaliRdBrd said:
Three games in and I've seen three nail-biters against teams with an rpi of 172, 157, 210. Color me unimpressed

Relatively happy to be 2-1, but question if the irrational exuberance over our defense is more a function of finally getting to play against shitbag Valley teams. Although, replacing Tinsley’s matador defense with Chastain’s hustling and charge drawing variety does change the complexion of the overall defense significantly.

Redbirds0215

I think it’s all about how we do on Saturday, if we win or lose close we’re back. If we get blown out, back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricohill

Redbirds0215 said:
I think it’s all about how we do on Saturday, if we win or lose close we’re back. If we get blown out, back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are around 260th in 3pt FG percentage. They shoot a ton and miss a ton, but they don't really have much of an option with no decent post players.

Redbirdwarrior

Well, team, we are in the midst of a one-bid year here. The conference is better at the bottom than it has been, but nowhere near as good at top. Literally any team in the conference can win this one, so the only key for ISU at this point is to stay healthy and stay out of Thursday. It looks like there will be virtually zero difference between the 1 and 6 MVC teams this year.

Would it be nice to win em all from here on out? Sure. Would it be a decent consolation prize to get the one seed and auto qualifier to the NIT? Okay, fine.

But I think what we need to look for now is gradual improvement with the hope that we play our absolute best ball at the end of the season.

SO, lets look at what ISN'T working and see where our areas of opportunity are.

-Keyshawn Evans. What the hell happened to Key? If he can get back to 70% of what he was last season, we will be in MUCH better shape.

-Turnover Margin. This is the first year we don't have a stop your ass and steal the ball defender. Tony Wills, Paris Lee, Madison Williams are gone. We need someone to create turnovers and, more importantly, need EVERYONE to be smarter with the ball. Stop throwing it out of bounds or to the opposing team. Just knock it off... Milik.

-Get to the line more. We are currently at about 70% from FT, which is the best we have shot as a team from the line in more than 5 years. Copeland is shooting almost 84%. GET HIM TO DRAW CONTACT. Get him a little space and tell him to get to the rim. The more he gets to the line, the better chance we have to win.

-The 3 ball. We are shooting 34% from deep. Can't win in college ball if you can't hit the triple with consistency. Gotta get Jefferson back on the ball and, for the love of all that is holy, get Keyshawn shooting in practice. A lot. Like a lot a lot. He is shooting 27% from deep. Last year, he shot 42%. THERE is your difference, kids.

So, think of the next 6 weeks as practice. Get these issues worked out, get TB in the rotation and be ready to win 3 games in STL.

BirdsEyeView

Redbirdwarrior said:
Well, team, we are in the midst of a one-bid year here. The conference is better at the bottom than it has been, but nowhere near as good at top. Literally any team in the conference can win this one, so the only key for ISU at this point is to stay healthy and stay out of Thursday. It looks like there will be virtually zero difference between the 1 and 6 MVC teams this year.

Would it be nice to win em all from here on out? Sure. Would it be a decent consolation prize to get the one seed and auto qualifier to the NIT? Okay, fine.

But I think what we need to look for now is gradual improvement with the hope that we play our absolute best ball at the end of the season.

SO, lets look at what ISN'T working and see where our areas of opportunity are.

-Keyshawn Evans. What the hell happened to Key? If he can get back to 70% of what he was last season, we will be in MUCH better shape.

-Turnover Margin. This is the first year we don't have a stop your ass and steal the ball defender. Tony Wills, Paris Lee, Madison Williams are gone. We need someone to create turnovers and, more importantly, need EVERYONE to be smarter with the ball. Stop throwing it out of bounds or to the opposing team. Just knock it off... Milik.

-Get to the line more. We are currently at about 70% from FT, which is the best we have shot as a team from the line in more than 5 years. Copeland is shooting almost 84%. GET HIM TO DRAW CONTACT. Get him a little space and tell him to get to the rim. The more he gets to the line, the better chance we have to win.

-The 3 ball. We are shooting 34% from deep. Can't win in college ball if you can't hit the triple with consistency. Gotta get Jefferson back on the ball and, for the love of all that is holy, get Keyshawn shooting in practice. A lot. Like a lot a lot. He is shooting 27% from deep. Last year, he shot 42%. THERE is your difference, kids.

So, think of the next 6 weeks as practice. Get these issues worked out, get TB in the rotation and be ready to win 3 games in STL.

:text-+1:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Redbirdwarrior said:

What? you mean 4.43 TO's a game isn't good?

Redbirdwarrior

isuquinndog said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

EVERY NBA SCOUT AT THE END OF LAST SEASON:

"Milik, if you play more controlled and cut those turnovers in half, you could be on our radar."

MY:

"Say no more!" *throws ball into 5th row*

EVERY NBA SCOUT

KobeFacepalmPinchNose_o4603j.gif

Buffett

Redbirdwarrior said:
isuquinndog said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

"Milik, if you play more controlled and cut those turnovers in half, you could be on our radar."

MY:

"Say no more!" *throws ball into 5th row*

EVERY NBA SCOUT

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_in_content_image/KobeFacepalmPinchNose_o4603j.gif[/img
Not crazy about MY much of the time , but last night shot 10 for 13 23 points 8 reb, 1 block 3 assists (and 5 TO, if you can give Hein a break at 0 for 3 shooting, 1 reb, 2 assists , 2 steals and 1 point, the Hustle factor must mean he 's got the golden parachute

Bird Friend

Redbirdwarrior said:
isuquinndog said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

MY:

"I'll hold your beer" . . . <drops beer, looks offended, shrugs shoulders> . . . "What?"

FTFY

Top Bottom