The Next Step

Birdfan 4Life

Always well done, the airing times have been released for Comcast Sportsnet Chicago via three, 30 minute episodes.

Aug 17 - 5:30PM
Aug 24 - 5:00PM
Aug 31 - 5:30PM

http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/8/4/redbird-football-the-next-step-return-to-csn-chicago-this-fall.aspx?path=football

fourthandshort

can't wait to see this .. add 4th segment for Sep 2nd right before opener.

http://www.goredbirds.com/news/2017/8/4/redbird-football-the-next-step-return-to-csn-chicago-this-fall.aspx?path=football.

Big props to Country Financial for again stepping up to be lead sponsor .. taking care of their local state university !!!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Cubs play at 1:20 on Comcast on 17th. Probably won't but could affect the airing of that episode. I'm sure it will be repeated.

Other weeks look safe, Sox play at 12:10 on the 31st but that would be a looooong game to affect the time..

fourthandshort

Just watched tape from saturday rerun. Random observations ..

1. Jason Harris put on some real weight .. filled out very nicely and very well spoken level headed kid. And he is only a sophomore. Going to be fun seeing him emerge his season.
2. OL SO Jared Rients .. thats a big boy at 6'5" 315 lbs and carries it well .. seems like a well spoken good kid .. a good ole local farm boy.
3. Liked the focus on 1st year experience.. the grind, the expectations, on the field and in classroom .. well done bit
4. Kolbe again looks like he is ready for step forward.
5. I think WR Gibbs takes another step forward this year with Warrum gone. Dude has hands like Tyrone Walker did .. and slightly better athlete .. though no one had Tyrone's natural ability.

Nicely done .. don't forget Country Financial's sponsorship and ongoing support.

fourthandshort

ISU_DirtyBird said:
Have they made this available on-demand for viewers out of state who don't get CSN Chicago?

I know it will end up on goredbirds site .. usually within the week after the next episode airs .. don't want to compete with their pwn air time of course.

Source

http://www.goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=3275&type=Archive

For those without Comcast or cable.

ISU_DirtyBird

fourthandshort said:
ISU_DirtyBird said:
Have they made this available on-demand for viewers out of state who don't get CSN Chicago?

I know it will end up on goredbirds site .. usually within the week after the next episode airs .. don't want to compete with their pwn air time of course.
Source said:
http://www.goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=3275&type=Archive

For those without Comcast or cable.
Thanks guys!

fourthandshort

Its on at 5pm today ... set your DVR !!

p.s. CSN Chicago .. usually channel 37 on Comcast

fourthandshort

just watched 2nd episode .. liked this one better. little more intensity and action. Covered OL and Coach Clark a lot - work in progress, but they like the progress. Covered TE Petkovich and Clements a lot .. more on Petkovich .. he looks healthy and really good .. getting lot of targets from Kolbe, so thinking he will have mini breakout year.

Spack is sounding a bit like he did in August 2014 .. and he was right in August 2014.

chuckie1980

Loved it. I wonder if I am now a Redbird Football fan....even more intensely than basketball.

So I watched these REDBIRDS on CSN last night at 5 and at 5:30...stumbled on WCIA and their high school prediction type show. IHSA stated that in 2008 football participation was at a all time high of 51000+ Illinois HS players. This year...down to 42000.

All I can state is that I am glad I do not have a young man/boy to raise and wonder what sport is good or not for my child.

Several coaches complained that the low numbers probably reflects on the poor quality of football from the Bears and the Illini. And I have stated here before...I wonder what the Cubs WS impact will be like when kids start to mature through baseball.

Highland Park official canned their football program since parents were not allowing their children to play.

Throw all of these points into a blender....and it still amazes me that I wrote the first statement.

fourthandshort

I think the decline nationally is maybe 0.4% annually the last 10 years. Some of that is safety concerns but some could simply be more sports options and basic economics... economy fell off cliff in 2008-09 and recovery has been steady but modest. I belive soccer and baseball are also down ... but lacrosse, rugby and ultimate frisbee are up.

Chi-bird

chuckie1980 said:
Loved it. I wonder if I am now a Redbird Football fan....even more intensely than basketball.

So I watched these REDBIRDS on CSN last night at 5 and at 5:30...stumbled on WCIA and their high school prediction type show. IHSA stated that in 2008 football participation was at a all time high of 51000+ Illinois HS players. This year...down to 42000.

All I can state is that I am glad I do not have a young man/boy to raise and wonder what sport is good or not for my child.

Several coaches complained that the low numbers probably reflects on the poor quality of football from the Bears and the Illini. And I have stated here before...I wonder what the Cubs WS impact will be like when kids start to mature through baseball.

Highland Park official canned their football program since parents were not allowing their children to play.

Throw all of these points into a blender....and it still amazes me that I wrote the first statement.

I am still an avid men's basketball fan, but I must admit that over the past few years, my support and interest in the football program has surpassed the men's hoops team. Much of that has to do with the university's commitment to the program and the fact that we have Coach Spack at the helm. I love Spack and appreciate what he's doing here. I also love Muller, but am admitedly perturbed with the AAU culture of college basketball at this time. The transferring, moving "up", skipping their senior, etc. has become so commonplace, that you can't help but look at it a little differently.

In FCS, the players may have the dream of playing pro, but it is balanced with a commitment to be part of something special in the here and now. Sure, you'll see occasional Vernon Adams in FCS, but that's an anomaly.

in addition, I think Spack has created a culture of toughness, and excellence - both on the field and in the classroom. Of course there will be players getting in trouble here and there, but the team's collective off-the-field character has also improved dramatically. How can you not love that?

fourthandshort

Chi-bird said:
chuckie1980 said:

I am still an avid men's basketball fan, but I must admit that over the past few years, my support and interest in the football program has surpassed the men's hoops team. Much of that has to do with the university's commitment to the program and the fact that we have Coach Spack at the helm. I love Spack and appreciate what he's doing here. I also love Muller, but am admitedly perturbed with the AAU culture of college basketball at this time. The transferring, moving "up", skipping their senior, etc. has become so commonplace, that you can't help but look at it a little differently.

In FCS, the players may have the dream of playing pro, but it is balanced with a commitment to be part of something special in the here and now. Sure, you'll see occasional Vernon Adams in FCS, but that's an anomaly.

in addition, I think Spack has created a culture of toughness, and excellence - both on the field and in the classroom. Of course there will be players getting in trouble here and there, but the team's collective off-the-field character has also improved dramatically. How can you not love that?

:text-+1:

Spack is not perfect, but he is perfect for THIS job .. ISU is his baby. Need to keep this train moving on current track .. good things will continue to happen. Pres Dietz and AD Lyons need to do their part. Fans and donors need to get on board .. we are on the right track.

Top priorities .. win in 2017 ... multipurpose indoor facility. And as the great philosopher Lynryd Skynryd once said .. "Train, roll on."

Birdswin

As far as High School participation being down - there are fewer schools with football. Look at all the co-ops now from schools who used to field their own teams. Then you have the bigger schools getting bigger. For example, take 5 high schools with an enrollment of 300-400 - that is 5 teams - as compared to one school with an enrollment of 1,800-2,000 - only one team. Thus, participation is down.

Both of my sons played football - it was a great experience - 2004 at NCHS and 2013 at Normal West. My youngest son started tackle football in second grade - would not hesitate for one minute to have him play again.

Finally got to watch the first episode. Really enjoyed it, and looking forward to future episodes. Team definitely looks long and athletic as Spack alludes to near the end of the episode.

Maybe this is the millennial in me, but one of the biggest things that I noticed was that they FINALLY got some new practice jerseys. They'd had the old ones since AT LEAST 2008, but even then they looked pretty worn. May seem insignificant, but if you want to be a big time program, little things like that can make a difference IMO. Also helps to have really good football players... Now just need to replace the turf!

Birdswin

First episode was good - I like the individual spotlight on several players, going back to their high school and/or homes to get a better perspective. Spack talking to the Freshman and their parents was really good. He just exudes football and toughness. Gets one's juices flowing!!!!

I also agree with replacing the turf - turn Reggie around and make him a little bigger. Then we need Red end zones - while keeping the rest of the field green with white lines and numbers.