Teams stats

TBS_20

Offense
68.8 ppg (339th overall), 36.7 rpg (206), 11.6 apg (381), 12.4 TO (222), 3% (327), FT% (243), FG% (300), Fouls (217)

Defense
69.2 ppg given up (133), 34.2 rpg given up (149), 12.4 apg given up (161)

Defense is slightly above average. The offense is terrible.

SlackBooDom

11th in the MVC in scoring offense. 10th in FT%. 11th in FG%. 12th in 3P%. 12th in assists. 12th in A:TO margin. 11th in 3P made.

Against D1 competition we're 332nd in the country in 3P% and we're taking 39.5% of our shots from three. The only things we do above average nationaly are draw fouls and offensive rebound.

CaliRdBrd

Offense
68.8 ppg (339th overall), 36.7 rpg (206), 11.6 apg (381), 12.4 TO (222), 3% (327), FT% (243), FG% (300), Fouls (217)

Defense

Yikes

redbirds2000

Offense

Defense

11th in the MVC in scoring offense. 10th in FT%. 11th in FG%. 12th in 3P%. 12th in assists. 12th in A:TO margin. 11th in 3P made.

Against D1 competition we're 332nd in the country in 3P% and we're taking 39.5% of our shots from three. The only things we do above average nationaly are draw fouls and offensive rebound.
Just a slump!

redbirdron1

This is all fact and data which u can’t argue.
I’m on the Pedon wagon and believe in what he’s TRYING To Do. He comes off as very genuine and knowledgeable about building a program.
At this juncture I have a couple of perceptions. When he first arrived, he consciously decided to keep the existing Bigs and enable all the Perimeter guys to go. I know factually Howie Fleming wanted to stay but it was not to be - so be it but Ryan wanted a fresh start with guards and wings.

Last season we had minimal in the paint. In hindsight, we missed on Joe and the returnees were end of bench guys.

Ryan and staff underestimated what kind of PG was needed in the MVC. Currently, we don’t have a pure shooter on the roster; maybe Johnny is r closest to being reliable. Banks is an upgrade for the most part and of course Burford’s athleticism is fun to watch but will never b a lights out perimeter guy.

All of r current guys are hustlers and pretty savvy ball players. We do not have a roster of dumb ball players who dont value possessions - r staff has clearly addressed that issue from the past.

Pedon/staff hit on Knight or at least got thru to him to get him over the hump and productive. IMO he did a great job in improving Seneca as a player. Also, Pedon figured out midway thru last year how to utilize Burford’s skill set. My point - he can coach guys up which hasn’t been the case in past seasons.

Now, if I could have a New Years wish it would b to score Big and fill holes from the Portal cause we need better talent to improve these factual Stats and edge toward the Top of MVC. Many of u say Why Choose ISU ……….. Playin Time Baby! We just gotta b patient and keep the faith.

Birdfriend72

This is all fact and data which u can’t argue.
I’m on the Pedon wagon and believe in what he’s TRYING To Do. He comes off as very genuine and knowledgeable about building a program.
At this juncture I have a couple of perceptions. When he first arrived, he consciously decided to keep the existing Bigs and enable all the Perimeter guys to go. I know factually Howie Fleming wanted to stay but it was not to be - so be it but Ryan wanted a fresh start with guards and wings.

Last season we had minimal in the paint. In hindsight, we missed on Joe and the returnees were end of bench guys.

Ryan and staff underestimated what kind of PG was needed in the MVC. Currently, we don’t have a pure shooter on the roster; maybe Johnny is r closest to being reliable. Banks is an upgrade for the most part and of course Burford’s athleticism is fun to watch but will never b a lights out perimeter guy.

All of r current guys are hustlers and pretty savvy ball players. We do not have a roster of dumb ball players who dont value possessions - r staff has clearly addressed that issue from the past.

Pedon/staff hit on Knight or at least got thru to him to get him over the hump and productive. IMO he did a great job in improving Seneca as a player. Also, Pedon figured out midway thru last year how to utilize Burford’s skill set. My point - he can coach guys up which hasn’t been the case in past seasons.

Now, if I could have a New Years wish it would b to score Big and fill holes from the Portal cause we need better talent to improve these factual Stats and edge toward the Top of MVC. Many of u say Why Choose ISU ……….. Playin Time Baby! We just gotta b patient and keep the faith.
Either we have guys that just do their own thing, or we lack an offensive strategy. While I like some of Burford's game- he seems to play downhill and lacks a team game mentality. It's not just him- it seems to be several guys. Maybe that is the offense the coach wants to run. It doesn't seem to be working.

DWRedbird

Either we have guys that just do their own thing, or we lack an offensive strategy. While I like some of Burford's game- he seems to play downhill and lacks a team game mentality. It's not just him- it seems to be several guys. Maybe that is the offense the coach wants to run. It doesn't seem to be working.

Because it has been the same for the last year and a half, I suspect this is a feature, not a bug.

gobirds85

The optimist in me says, "we can only get better." The pessimist says, "here we go again." I believe we have a shot at being between 7th-9th in conference. Baby steps, really small baby steps.

Baltimore Bird

I knew things were bad. This is way, way worse than I thought.
We are close to half way thru the season. It is hard to imagine this is not who we are.
It is going to be a challenge to win many games in the MVC with anything close to those stats.
With that said, I will be watching and hoping we turn it around.
GO BIRDS!

ChiRedbirdfan

The optimist in me says, "we can only get better." The pessimist says, "here we go again." I believe we have a shot at being between 7th-9th in conference. Baby steps, really small baby steps.
Agree 85! Our high level of optimism, driven by…
1. a burning hunger for success,
2. early favorable record vs a very weak schedule
3. a favorable image of pedon and this team

…has blinded many of us about the reality of the talent on this team. I am as guilty as anyone of thinking this team can compete for the top half of the MVC. I am now thinking that a 7 or 8 spot MVC finish would be a good outcome given the talent and overall team play. Falling further in the final mvc standings would be real painful but it could happen. Would love this team to prove me wrong and somehow be competing for a 5th place finish.

SIU better than I thought early in the season when I watched indy state dismantle them. Fearful now that SIU will be in total control today at Redbird arena. This game will be a good indication of where we may be heading.

P

Popsto4

I still believe we can finisher higher than expected. Look at it this way. There is no way as a team the poor outside shooting will continue to be as bad or get worse. Buckets can cure or at least hide some problems. Really good shooting percentage and less turnover should add up to more wins

Buffett1

I still believe we can finisher higher than expected. Look at it this way. There is no way as a team the poor outside shooting will continue to be as bad or get worse. Buckets can cure or at least hide some problems. Really good shooting percentage and less turnover should add up to more wins
So far we are good shooters,….but not good makers.

The Beak

I don't know Pops. I think this is who we are this year. We may have sporadic games when we shoot lights out, but that is likely going to be the exception. The question becomes, how do we adjust? Here's hoping Mal finds his groove, we're sure cheering for him.

P

Popsto4

It would surely help I think if Luke could find himself some more minutes

SlackBooDom

What makes you think the poor shooting can’t continue? Shot selection? Health? Curious as to why after half the season it would just do a complete 180, but you likely have more perspective.

Metamoron

I think it is half poor shooting and half poor shot selection based on bad offensive structure.

redbirds2000

Redbird basketball says, hold my beer! Watch us have our absolute worse shooting half of the year from 3 against SIU!

P

Popsto4

What makes you think the poor shooting can’t continue? Shot selection? Health? Curious as to why after half the season it would just do a complete 180, but you likely have more perspective.
Top Reason is because the shooting can’t get any worse from the 3. The other is if the shooters long ball isn’t falling other actions can be ran to get them looks within the arc. I have to believe will make adjustments because of bad shooting

Top Bottom