Tailgating - Redbird Nation

Birdfan 4Life

I was pleasantly surprised with how tailgating continues to grow at ISU!
I know it was the opening game, a night game, and absolutely perfect weather...but the environment and people going all out for tailgating continues to grow and look fun. Lots more people flying flags, tents, grills, and tailgate parties of 20-30 people...that tells me people are investing in Game Day.

Weavers Rent All's building is supposed to be coming down sooner than later and if ISU (at least in the temporary) combines the Student Health Services Lot (F64) and the Gravel Lot (G64) directly across from the stadium, I predict it is about to blow up. That would become the largest donor lot with the best backdrop of Hancock Stadium. http://goredbirds.com/documents/2016/10/19/Football_Map_2016.pdf

Currently, Public Parking Passes are completely Sold Out for Family Weekend. If the Parking Services Lot (S103) in North Normal is actually sold out that is very impressive! In the future my only suggestion would be that they need to get ALL tailgaters closer to campus/Hancock Stadium to add to the atmosphere.

Homecoming is also getting close to Sold Out, with the 3 most popular public lots sold out in G81 (Soccer), G82 (Track), G53 (South of Hancock).

Keep it up everybody! :clap: :dance: :clap:

MPE773

Tailgating has become so great at ISU. Very impressive. Way to go BloNo!

Hamdonger

Birdfan 4Life said:
I know it was the opening game, a night game, and absolutely perfect weather...but the environment and people going all out for tailgating continues to grow and look fun. Lots more people flying flags, tents, grills, and tailgate parties of 20-30 people...that tells me people are investing in Game Day.

Weavers Rent All's building is supposed to be coming down sooner than later and if ISU (at least in the temporary) combines the Student Health Services Lot (F64) and the Gravel Lot (G64) directly across from the stadium, I predict it is about to blow up. That would become the largest donor lot with the best backdrop of Hancock Stadium. http://goredbirds.com/documents/2016/10/19/Football_Map_2016.pdf

Currently, Public Parking Passes are completely Sold Out for Family Weekend. If the Parking Services Lot (S103) in North Normal is actually sold out that is very impressive! In the future my only suggestion would be that they need to get ALL tailgaters closer to campus/Hancock Stadium to add to the atmosphere.

Homecoming is also getting close to Sold Out, with the 3 most popular public lots sold out in G81 (Soccer), G82 (Track), G53 (South of Hancock).

I was wondering. Thanks for catching us up!

fourthandshort

good info and perspective .. nice indication of program direction. Hancock is he place to be on Saturdays in the fall.

dpdoughbird06

fourthandshort said:
good info and perspective .. nice indication of program direction. Hancock is he place to be on Saturdays in the fall.

Now if we could just get more than five home games every year! Northwestern has that many just in their B1G slate this season.

I'd really love to see them find a way to get a 12th game permitted every year - not just when there's an extra weekend between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Three non-con games per year will always leave someone's schedule imbalanced.

Source

dpdoughbird06 said:
fourthandshort said:

Now if we could just get more than five home games every year! Northwestern has that many just in their B1G slate this season.

I'd really love to see them find a way to get a 12th game permitted every year - not just when there's an extra weekend between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Three non-con games per year will always leave someone's schedule imbalanced.

Coach Spack's ideal schedule is 3 non-con games, bye week, conference season. We got spoiled last year with 6 home games and perfect weather for all of them.

JHBird

Birdfan 4Life said:

I was out running last year, in the morning, seemed like about 8AM. I was by the parking lot near the track and these guys were standing there checking cars as they came in. I knew there was a game that afternoon but figured it was way too early for football tailgating... I was wrong! They really get there early! I was pretty shocked ..but yeah, it seems to be growing. The stadium renovation to me was a game changer. I got my season tickets on the crappy side just so I can look at the beautiful side. Makes our program seem first class now. I asked Brock one time if it's helped a lot in recruiting .. he looked at me like I was an idiot :lol:

He also said how we have to compete with NDSU, and how many more luxury boxes they have versus us, etc. So we have a ways to go I guess...

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
JHBird said:
Birdfan 4Life said:

I was out running last year, in the morning, seemed like about 8AM. I was by the parking lot near the track and these guys were standing there checking cars as they came in. I knew there was a game that afternoon but figured it was way too early for football tailgating... I was wrong! They really get there early! I was pretty shocked ..but yeah, it seems to be growing. The stadium renovation to me was a game changer. I got my season tickets on the crappy side just so I can look at the beautiful side. Makes our program seem first class now. I asked Brock one time if it's helped a lot in recruiting .. he looked at me like I was an idiot :lol:

He also said how we have to compete with NDSU, and how many more luxury boxes they have versus us, etc. So we have a ways to go I guess...
That was just Cindy. :clap:

fourthandshort

JHBird said:
Birdfan 4Life said:

to ensure our progression continues, our next investment should be in multi-purposes indoor field. That will not only help with offseason and inclement weather preparations (and not just for football), but it will further help with recruiting warm weather recruits. Given them a decent indoor facility to do OTAs in winter, and we will land mroe 2-3 star recruits from the warm weather states like TX, FL, CA, GA, etc. This is next step to ensuring we keep winning, which will help us build the fan and donor base .. that is only way we can make Hancock 3.0 happen ... filling in south end zone, maybe do something with north end zone, and if structurally possible, add some suites. But only after indoor field and then Hancock 3.0 happen, can we start talking more seriously about FBS.

Playoff run this season is another step forward to shoring p fan and donor base.

TIMMY

fourthandshort said:
JHBird said:
Birdfan 4Life said:

to ensure our progression continues, our next investment should be in multi-purposes indoor field. That will not only help with offseason and inclement weather preparations (and not just for football), but it will further help with recruiting warm weather recruits. Given them a decent indoor facility to do OTAs in winter, and we will land mroe 2-3 star recruits from the warm weather states like TX, FL, CA, GA, etc. This is next step to ensuring we keep winning, which will help us build the fan and donor base .. that is only way we can make Hancock 3.0 happen ... filling in south end zone, maybe do something with north end zone, and if structurally possible, add some suites. But only after indoor field and then Hancock 3.0 happen, can we start talking more seriously about FBS.

Playoff run this season is another step forward to shoring p fan and donor base.
Couldn't agree more.

fourthandshort

isuquinndog said:
JHBird said:
Birdfan 4Life said:

That was just Cindy. :clap:

Good point .. CindyGate legend is in another stratosphere ... so not a realistic barometer for tailgating trends. Maybe someone who's been here longer than me can confirm this ... but I heard she is actually homeless and her tailgate runs year round just so she can eat (and drink). Instead of putting a collection can out for money .. she puts a grill and cooler out, and people just keep filling it .... anyone else hear this ???

MadBird

First, a shout out to Total Red and company for stopping by the water tower to greet us.

We did a first, we dispensed with the cooking and brought a couple Portillo's beef sandwiches for the tailgate and it was pretty decent. I love to cook for the tailgate, but we thought this would be a good chance to get a Portillo's fix and have the tailgate too. Worked out pretty good.

I mentioned in another post our "food daily double" with Portillo's and Lucca Grill pizza after the game, and we completed that, with the usual decent thin crust pie at Lucca, in a pretty sparse house for whatever reason. No problem, the hospitality was great as usual.

Then, in an unplanned trifecta, we hit the Fort Jesse Café this morning for breakfast before leaving for the run back to Madison, and it was very good. Our first trip.

Now, on a "get off my lawn" rant, I just don't get people who bring their sound system to the tailgate thinking we all want to hear their crappy "music" they want to play for the whole parking lot. I'm a musician, have played in bands since I was 12 years old, I love music, and I always bring tunes to a tailgate. Tunes for me, for us, for our "set up". I don't try, or want to try, to make anyone else listen to what I want to listen to. We had some bozo's, and they weren't "kids", they looked old enough to be parents or even grandparents of students/players, who set up a sound system and played some awful crap for all to hear. Stop it, please.

Overall, we've had more people under the water tower, but it was a pretty good turnout. Looking forward to homecoming! Will bring bigger speakers!!! :cool:

Birdswin

I thought the tailgating was very good. We had our biggest crowd of the year and homecoming will be bigger. We are in the lot behind the scoreboard (G-83 or Ropp Lot) - I agree with Madbird about several blasting terrible music.

Seeing Red

Tailgating was terrific and getting better each game. Lots of fun and food in G82, however next to us they blocked off an area for students that was supposed to be for them and their tailgating needs, which was a great idea. I believe it was Dad's day for.some of the sororities, so it was set up accordingly. Again, great idea the more the merrier. However, it seems as if the police department used this as an opportunity in writing tickets for you know what. As a result, the spaces near the end of G82 in one particular section were empty, when they had an opportunity for a full and festive lot. Nice job.

dpdoughbird06

Seeing Red said:
Tailgating was terrific and getting better each game. Lots of fun and food in G82, however next to us they blocked off an area for students that was supposed to be for them and their tailgating needs, which was a great idea. I believe it was Dad's day for.some of the sororities, so it was set up accordingly. Again, great idea the more the merrier. However, it seems as if the police department used this as an opportunity in writing tickets for you know what. As a result, the spaces near the end of G82 in one particular section were empty, when they had an opportunity for a full and festive lot. Nice job.

It's no secret that the consumption by a minor ticket is a major revenue source for ISU/Normal PD. A bunch of us CindyGaters did a walking tailgate early in the day and the ISU PD were out on their carts chatting up the regulars. I don't imagine they snuck up on anyone.

I guess my question is why would anyone underage risk an expensive ticket by drinking at a tailgate? Other than posting signs and plastering warnings on every email and application for a spot in this "Students/Dads" area, what is ISU PD supposed to do?

I get that it sucks to be 20 and have to watch so many people legally drink all around you, but it's nothing new. I'll still take a bit of probably overzealous policing of the underage crowd over the crazy consumption and dangerous overcrowding we saw right outside the stadium before Hancock 2.0 dispersed most of that East lot.

But I'll admit that a dedicated fish-in-a-barrel lot for students is likely doomed to fail as long as ISU PD enforces underage drinking at tailgates.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I have never seen ISU or NPD be anything but wonderful at ISU tailgate. If you are breaking the law, don't get pissed at them for enforcing it. Take some responsibility.