Summer Update- Vidette

Adunk33

Staff member
S/O to the Vidette for covering something other than local golf tournaments.

https://issuu.com/videtteonline/docs/7.25.18/8?ff=true

Key takeaway from this report Muller names Josh Jefferson, Zach Copeland, Matt Chastain and, Rey Idowu as key "eligible depth additions" to the roster. No mention of Abdou Ndaiye.

ILSTUGRAD11

Adunk33 said:
S/O to the Vidette for covering something other than local golf tournaments.

https://issuu.com/videtteonline/docs/7.25.18/8?ff=true

Key takeaway from this report Muller names Josh Jefferson, Zach Copeland, Matt Chastain and, Rey Idowu as key "eligible depth additions" to the roster. No mention of Abdou Ndaiye.

SOUND THE ALARMS

Jsnhbe1Birds

I wouldn't worry too much. We all were wanting Ndaiye to be eligible to help out in the middle. If what Muller says is true about Idowu being impressive thus far then he will be the one helping, especially since he has the college ready body. It's not the end of the world he just won't be able to spread the floor like Ndaiye can but Ndaiye can't help inside as well as Idowu can and I think getting Fayne some relief is more important considering Copeland, Jefferson, and Chastain are eligible this season.

JHBird

Is the coach just being conservative by not mentioning Ndaiye? Is there still a chance for him playing this year?

Jsnhbe1Birds

JHBird said:
Is the coach just being conservative by not mentioning Ndaiye? Is there still a chance for him playing this year?

I don't believe a decision has been made as of yet.

B

BirdGrad2011

Didn’t he just get to campus. Even if eligible has Muller seen enough to warrant depth comments?

Team should be stacked with or without Ndiaye this year. Hoping he’s eligible, but if not hopefully he can practice and be a key contributor next year.

Redbirdwarrior

I really expect this team to run a 4 guard lineup most of the time (assuming Milik plays more like a guard than a true forward.) If that is the case, you have depth out the ass.

Look at the scenarios then:

Evans, Clarence, Copeland, Jefferson, Hein, Gassman, Chastain (maybe?) to cover 3 rotating guard spots on the floor.

Milik, Tinsley, Bruninga, Chastain (maybe?) to cover the "4", which may act more like a traditional 3 in most offenses.

Fayne and Rey to cover what is effectively a 5.

Based off what I'm seeing with this roster, I think a HEAVY percentage of our points will come from deep. They are going to spread 4 shooters who NEED to be covered around the arc and leave Phil one on one down low. There isn't a player in the league who can consistently cover Fayne 1 on 1.

I expect to see Milik driving to the hole a bunch and pulling a defender or two with him, kicking out to a WIDE OPEN Copeland or Evans to be the go-to play for ISU this year.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Redbirdwarrior said:
I really expect this team to run a 4 guard lineup most of the time (assuming Milik plays more like a guard than a true forward.) If that is the case, you have depth out the ass.

Evans, Clarence, Copeland, Jefferson, Hein, Gassman, Chastain (maybe?) to cover 3 rotating guard spots on the floor.

Milik, Tinsley, Bruninga, Chastain (maybe?) to cover the "4", which may act more like a traditional 3 in most offenses.

Based off what I'm seeing with this roster, I think a HEAVY percentage of our points will come from deep. They are going to spread 4 shooters who NEED to be covered around the arc and leave Phil one on one down low. There isn't a player in the league who can consistently cover Fayne 1 on 1.

I expect to see Milik driving to the hole a bunch and pulling a defender or two with him, kicking out to a WIDE OPEN Copeland or Evans to be the go-to play for ISU this year.

I fully expect ISU to be minimum 15-3 in the Valley this season and that will be a disappointing result. I'm looking at 16-2. 25-5. At least 27-6 come selection time.

Great article. Thanks Vidette for the update. It was nice to finally hear something from the team.
The Vidette needs to do a special paper, handout or something on game days (or the day before) to spread across campus. We need to get those student seats filled. (or the athletic department should try something) Bribery works too!

Retire 12

This team will see A TON of zone... we had better be able to hit the jumper.

If our FG% is high, we dance.

Redbirdwarrior

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

I fully expect ISU to be minimum 15-3 in the Valley this season and that will be a disappointing result. I'm looking at 16-2. 25-5. At least 27-6 come selection time.

I am more or less on board here. I can't see ISU going worse than 13-5 in the Valley and coming into St. Louis with at least 23 wins under their belt, including wins against a few T100 teams.

Redbird Alum 2004

This is the most optimistic I have been about an upcoming season in sometime. I look at this roster and I see talent all over the place. Redbird is gonna be rocking by seasons end. This will be a good year to get the incoming freshman students into the attends so they can get a taste of Redbird basketball.

ISU FAN 1

Buffett said:
Ndaiye will red shirt

I hope not. If he’s the stud he’s hyped as, we have one chance to put him with Milik, Phil, Key, and Boogie. Need all pieces falling into place for a chance to duplicate Wichita/Loyola NCAA runs.

BTbird

Seems like either a redshirt year for Ndaiye or DM has not seen him play enough yet to form an opinion.

Adunk33

Staff member
BTbird said:
Seems like either a redshirt year for Ndaiye or DM has not seen him play enough yet to form an opinion.

Hawkins/McIntosh 2.0. I remember Muller not saying much about either during their first summer on-campus. He was also not asked about AN. Surely, that is part of the reason he didn't share any information. Maybe when the golf tournaments are done, other local media will call Muller up and ask. Classes start in less than a month, Muller should know where his eligibility stands. I do think a RS year will be good for him. All of the video I saw was showed that he was raw. We have never had a guy with a skill set like his. Comparatively, I would say a more aggressive, taller, better ball handling version of John Wilkins. Nothing we can do about the grad-transfer situation coming in to play at the end of his 4th year here.

Buffett

Couple notes from the late evening practices about Ndaiye, he can really shoot from outside and he constantly gets the defender to buy his shot fake, and fly by, and then usually hits it. Does get muscled around though inside.

B

BirdGrad2011

Buffett said:
Couple notes from the late evening practices about Ndaiye, he can really shoot from outside and he constantly gets the defender to buy his shot fake, and fly by, and then usually hits it. Does get muscled around though inside.

Not surprised by the muscles around piece. Few freshman can handle that. Hopefully he can build on his frame better than the previous Ndiaye.

JHBird

BirdGrad2011 said:
Buffett said:

Not surprised by the muscles around piece. Few freshman can handle that. Hopefully he can build on his frame better than the previous Ndiaye.

I have a feeling it's Rey who's muscling him around....