Summer 2019 MVC Coaches Teleconference

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/1145706061304860672

Muller went at 10:30ish. It should be archived above when completed, if not- it will likely be somewhere in that twitter feed or MVC-sports.com

Take-a-ways from Muller (most of what has already been discussed here):
  • There are a lot of new guys but six of them were with the team all last year.
  • Taylor is not on the court yet
  • Hillsman is a physical player. For the Birds he is more in that 3-4 spot but if they go small ball he can swing to the 5. At SJSU he played the 1-5, and Muller looks forward to the experience he brings. Hillsman shoots it well and is a good passer.
  • Fisher brings all of the intangibles the team was looking for a season ago. Muller sites his toughness, energy, and leadership as key points off the court. On the court he is athletic, can dribble (which is uncommon for a guy most likely to be in the 5 spot), he's a good finishers, and a good shooter but could improve. He has respect from the team.
  • Overall the team is new, but experienced.
  • Muller says the new guys (that were here last year) got an inside look as to why things went bad last year. They saw first-hand what the culture was-what it needs to be, and are changing it. He is loving what they are bringing
  • A little more insight into the offensive changes...Jones is coming in to run the offense however, it was going to look completely different anyway based off personnel. In the Benson article many of you deducted that "Muller is worried about our post play." However, we just aren't going to be as reliant on it has we've had to be the past two seasons with Phil and Milik. This year's team will have more guys why can penetrate and make plays off the dribble. (Because of ball control) last year's team had to slow down the offense. Muller seems to want to get back to the fast, under control pace of Paris' senior year. This team will have post presence but more play makers. Defenses shouldn't be able to key in on one or two guys.
  • Effort and consistency were two of the biggest controllable issues last season that lead to a lack of success. Everyone was frustrated by last year. Muller seemed to have learned from it and is, "not putting up with those certain things."
  • Muller isn't so worried about the defense with the new 3-point line but the offense. This year's team has a handful of players who are good shooter from the old college 3 pt line and will have to adjust accordingly-or they will have a lot of guys who hit long-range 2's. They are going to try to stretch the defense to take advantage of the line but throughout college basketball, it might take some time before the real effect is shown as far as game planning goes because it will take everyone some time to get used to it. They look forward to get game action in with the FIBA line in Italy.

WoodlandWarrior

I don’t have a problem with long range 2s if they go in the basket. If those shots were good enough for Pete Maravich and Rick Mount they’re good enough for me.

Hamdonger

WoodlandWarrior said:
I don’t have a problem with long range 2s if they go in the basket. If those shots were good enough for Pete Maravich and Rick Mount they’re good enough for me.

YESSSS! (Marv Albert says hello)
I realize metrics has its place, but I'll take a team of bucket-getters over metrics...pretty much any day.

Metamoron

May want to change the thread title. I almost didn’t read because I thought it was BS being rehashed from last year.

Adunk33

Staff member
isuquinndog said:
Changed. I didn't even notice it.

Thanks, Quinn. Didn't realize a typo on a clearly new thread would deter clicks. I apologize if site traffic is down because of this.

Metamoron

Adunk33 said:
isuquinndog said:
Changed. I didn't even notice it.

Thanks, Quinn. Didn't realize a typo on a clearly new thread would deter clicks. I apologize if site traffic is down because of this.

The fact that when I saw it, it was right by the MY driving thread is what got my biggest attention.

Thanks