STATS FCS Football Article - Biggest FCS Games for 2019

Virginia Redbird

I enjoy watching FCS Football in general although I only follow the Redbirds closely. I thought this was an interesting article from the STATS FCS Football website. ISU v Northern Iowa on November 2nd made their list of biggest MVC games for 2019. I cant argue with any of the MVC games picked as big games. All of them should be great games to watch and would be expected to have some impact on the title race, at least sitting here in the off season.
The Dakota's are definitely dominating this particular list for the MVC, and probably justifiably so.
CAA Football is big in my area of the country. I sort of laughed with the intro to the CAA, "Which conference game isn't big in the CAA?" No doubt the CAA is a solid conference and ultra competitive but so is the MVC. I would guess the difference to most people is the MVC has been so dominated by NDSU and even though James Madison has been the big dog the last few years the CAA has been more competitive in that regard.
In any event, if you are an FCS Football fan here are some games around the country you may want to try to tune in to. They should all be good games to watch.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190613122153752484004

chuckie1980

Tnx for sharing the article!

Big10 just makes me vomit anymore. I listen and read about the Illini and Smith...and what a freaking waste of everything. The only redeemable thing about the last few years....the Illini has been dirt.

I am ready for the Dakotas to start taking a backseat in the MoValley….do you think something like that would ever happen?

TIMMY

chuckie1980 said:

Big10 just makes me vomit anymore. I listen and read about the Illini and Smith...and what a freaking waste of everything. The only redeemable thing about the last few years....the Illini has been dirt.

I am ready for the Dakotas to start taking a backseat in the MoValley….do you think something like that would ever happen?
I don't. They're far ahead and have a great recruiting base. Watch for the rise of North Dakota as well. I coached one of their position coaches back in the day and he thinks they're on the rise big time. I think they're also redoing their dome.

ISUBU

TIMMY said:
chuckie1980 said:

I don't. They're far ahead and have a great recruiting base. Watch for the rise of North Dakota as well. I coached one of their position coaches back in the day and he thinks they're on the rise big time. I think they're also redoing their dome.
Is their recruiting base really that different from ours? I recall them pulling important players out of Illinois and Wisconsin, with some from the Kansas City area too. And they go toe to toe with UNI for kids from Iowa. Now they do have the Twin Cities, but otherwise...is their recruiting base really different than the places we go?

Of course I do see a stronger fan base, especially for NDSU.

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
TIMMY said:
chuckie1980 said:

Is their recruiting base really that different from ours? I recall them pulling important players out of Illinois and Wisconsin, with some from the Kansas City area too. And they go toe to toe with UNI for kids from Iowa. Now they do have the Twin Cities, but otherwise...is their recruiting base really different than the places we go?

Of course I do see a stronger fan base, especially for NDSU.

Our recruiting base is much different than NDSU for sure ... just checked their roster ... 28 from MN, 15 from ND, 11 from WI.

Redbirds have 6 from WI, and none from ND or MN. The bulk of our roster is from IL (35), IN, MO, then WI and TX, then a wide smattering across the country.

Not sure about SDSU or USD .. guessing similar though probably bit more overlap with us than NDSU based on simple logistics.

ISUBU

The whole population of North Dakota is about the same as i-74 from Galesburg to Champaign. It is less than one of the collar counties. They pull 15 from their state and we probably have a similar number on our roster from the I-74 corridor.

All four Dakota schools are going to do well in Minnesota...it is the recruitment market for their students in general. That is different from us.

But even though different, is it better? The original comment suggested that they have a better recruiting base to sustain their success. I'm not sure they do. I do think they have stronger fan commitment.

NDSU always seems to have some Illinois kids. 5% of their roster, maybe?

Total Red

Staff member
TIMMY said:
If they beat us it's better.

The final result has been better but it isn't a fertile recruiting base that makes NDSU so good. I agree with ISUBU. It's the rabid fanbase they have that makes recruiting easier.

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
TIMMY said:

The final result has been better but it isn't a fertile recruiting base that makes NDSU so good. I agree with ISUBU. It's the rabid fanbase they have that makes recruiting easier.
demographics and tradition favors them getting the best players in their region. ISU has to compete with so many other schools. Sure, there are way more kids in Chicago metro than Fargo metro, but there are also a lot more schools, and NDSU owns their marketplace ... self-fulfilling situation .. imagine their recruiting pitch with all those banners and fans, plus an indoor facility ... it's a pretty easy sales pitch, unless your a WR .... a species nearing extinction in Fargo. But all other positions, very easy pitch.

Which brings us back to the Indooor Practice Facility topic .... it is a difference maker given we play and compete for recruits in upper midwest.

ISUBU

fourthandshort said:
Which brings us back to the Indooor Practice Facility topic .... it is a difference maker given we play and compete for recruits in upper midwest.
NDSU in fundraising campaign for an indoor practice facility.

TIMMY

ISUBU said:
fourthandshort said:
NDSU in fundraising campaign for an indoor practice facility.

In addition to the dome. Must be nice.

TIMMY

fourthandshort said:
Total Red said:
TIMMY said:

demographics and tradition favors them getting the best players in their region. ISU has to compete with so many other schools. Sure, there are way more kids in Chicago metro than Fargo metro, but there are also a lot more schools, and NDSU owns their marketplace ... self-fulfilling situation .. imagine their recruiting pitch with all those banners and fans, plus an indoor facility ... it's a pretty easy sales pitch, unless your a WR .... a species nearing extinction in Fargo. But all other positions, very easy pitch.

And they're not going to stop running that diamond stuff until someone shows they can stop it.

Redbirdwarrior

Gotta think about the cultural difference between a HS player in either Dakota, northern Wisconsin or Eastern Montana. NDSU is their goal. They grow up with Bizon stuff on the walls like many of us had Illini, Wisconsin or Notre Dame stuff on ours. Then you tack in a culture of absolute domination coupled with a INDOOR facility to play games in where your family can come visit. You have locked your local area (and the entire surrounding 700 miles) down. SDSU has been able to SLIGHTLY dent this, as has Wisconsin, but they have zero competition, most times, for recruits.

Add in players from big programs looking to immediately play for a sure fire national title contender and you have yourself an absolute dynasty that will sooner join the Big 12 than ever miss the FCS playoffs again.

I can see them going Big 12 in a few years, especially if the Power 5 decide they are going to branch off from the already overpacked FBS. NDSU wont want to be on the 3rd level of college football.

Total Red

Staff member
Ok enough Bison man crush. Let's talk about what they DON'T have and what we DO have. First I DON'T see them going Big 12 ever. Where's the TV market? They can pack in 18,000 for every game but they are limited in big time attendance or TV viewership. There isn't a big city in the state. The closest metro market - Minny/St. Paul is 235 miles away in another state. We have Chicago, St. Louis and Indy all at least 70 miles closer. Parents like to come watch their kids so that's a big plus for us. And let's be blunt. Fargo is not racially or culturally diverse. Most people wouldn't describe Normal as diverse but many of our students come from the Chicago area so compared to Fargo Normal is diverse.

Throw in the downright pissy cold winters. If you're from Texas you won't like Illinois winters but Fargo is definitely worse. The town has also been known to flood so they're probably nervous during this rainy season.

And finally we're going to beat them this year. If I had a son I'd make him a Redbird.

ISUBU

Total Red said:
Let's talk about what they DON'T have and what we DO have.

Changing this to another team. I was reading a news item describing the long term decline of the Youngstown area. In short, over the past couple of decades especially, income levels and population are down. The region has lost 10% of its population over the past 25 years, and income levels have dropped for those who still live there. Coaching may not be the only factor keeping YSU from getting back to its previous glories.

Virginia Redbird

[/quote]
And they're not going to stop running that diamond stuff until someone shows they can stop it.
[/quote]

Nope...they are not going to stop until someone stops them!

Still, nothing goes on forever. Most everyone expects NDSU to be very good again this year and I would expect that as well. They had quite a bit of stability with two very good QBs over the past several years. Wentz we know has transitioned very well to the NFL, he just cant stay healthy, and Stick was also drafted by the Chargers. That is some pretty heavy talent at the critical QB position. They have some talent of course coming up but Wentz and Stick left the bar way high. New coach and some new players may lead to a drop off. We will not know until they start playing on the field.

You cant argue though that they invest heavily in their program. Contrast with the Redbirds and really there is no comparison. I would say that ISU is more complacent. Happy to be where they are while NDSU wants only another National Championship. I am not talking about the Redbird coaching staff of course but the overall Athletic Program. IMHO only of course.

TIMMY

Nothing like power football and pulling guards to get me excited about football in June.
https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6204/check-out-how-north-dakota-state-s-diamond-power-read-has-contributed-to-the-bison-s-success
https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6888/how-ndsu-built-their-system-around-the-a-gap-power

Total Red

Staff member
I don't have plans to travel far to see a quality power rushing attack. James Robinson is a preseason 1st team All-American at RB. He's has the personnel around him for a big season. Himmelman, Megginson, Hirsch, Rients and Solomon up front with McCoyn leading through holes. That's some Bump, Thump and GO.

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
I don't have plans to travel far to see a quality power rushing attack. James Robinson is a preseason 1st team All-American at RB. He's has the personnel around him for a big season. Himmelman, Megginson, Hirsch, Rients and Solomon up front with McCoyn leading through holes. That's some Bump, Thump and GO.

agree, but you need to add back up RB Jeff Proctor to your equation .... he is going to be a serious factor (change of pace) that opposition will have to game plan for. I could be overly optimistic, but I think he will be vying for all conference honors in 2020. In 2019, I can see him averaging 60 yards per game, 6 yards per carry.

Top Bottom