Spring Practice!!!

Total Red

Staff member
Ok Sportsfans, we've spent the off-season discussing the NBA and everything that Redbird Football is not. The time has come to discuss was Redbird Football IS. What it IS is an exciting group of returnees with some well-chosen transfers. No position illustrates this better than the high profile QB position - Returnee Tommy Rittenhouse vs. K. State transfer Jake Rubley. Rubley is said to have a high-major throwing arm. He'll need it. We know that Rittenhouse can tuck it and sprint down the field. Rubley will need to showcase a superior arm if he wants the job.

Lots of other position battles. Will WIU newcomer Garrett Steffen find a staring spot on the D-Line? That's not a given. I like the next wave of D-Linemen coming up. Who gets the passes that went to Cam Grandy at TE last year? Who gets the open cornerback slot? Do we have a Kicker!?

All these questions and many more coming to a Spring season near you! Practice starts March 5th, just 4 days away!!!

MadBird

Would be fun to know - guess we'll find out soon enough - which new guys are gonna be here this spring. I'll assume the portals will be (or at least almost all), but wonder if any of the HS guys will?

Rittenhouse - 8 games, 3 TD's, no picks.

MadBird

Nice story in Prairie State Pigskin about Mason Blakemore King. Maybe my memory is totally gone, but I don't remember him playing injured basically all year last year. Had a torn labrum surgically repaired in December. Sounds like a good kid, he's amped for the season and looking to do more! Good story about how ISU landed him.

StLRedbird

Nice story in Prairie State Pigskin about Mason Blakemore King. Maybe my memory is totally gone, but I don't remember him playing injured basically all year last year. Had a torn labrum surgically repaired in December. Sounds like a good kid, he's amped for the season and looking to do more! Good story about how ISU landed him.

Good article. Blakemore had a hard luck season last year, just like the team around him. I like our RB group going into next year. Also hope RIttenhouse gets a real chance to win the job. He sees the field.

If our OL comes together quickly, look out. This team would be a coiled spring, in my humble opinion. I've got a circle around the NDSU game. That game comes early on the calendar and will be a huge yardstick.

fourthandshort

Didn't start 4 of 11 games. Just 4 carries in opener, but we didn't run a lot for some odd reason against Dayton ... set tone with hurry up pass game, I guess. Bust out game at WIU. But then maybe injured in his 1st start against EIU, because he didn't play against Lindenwood, and had just 6 carries against SDSU. Had big game (25 carries 133 yds) at MoST, but then didn't start for SR day at home against Murray St ... but had a big day 19 carries for 171 yds. Finished with 22 carries 103 yds at UND. Got 15-17 carries most other games.

So other than Dayton, Lindenwood and SDSU, he got consistent touches. Looks like maybe EIU injury maybe affected Lindenwood and SDSU.

1709763622642.png

Total Red

Staff member
Nice story in Prairie State Pigskin about Mason Blakemore King. Maybe my memory is totally gone, but I don't remember him playing injured basically all year last year.
It was kept hush hush at the time. They didn't want opponents using the injury to their advantage.

StLRedbird

This might be as good a place for this as any, didn't think it deserved a thread. Here's the Spack resume at ISU. Clearly the best performance of anyone to hold the job, but the trend ain't our friend, so to speak.

YearRecordSagarin(FCS)Sagarin(D1)
20236-512123
20226-531158
20214-734158
20201-332158
201910-512122
20186-5695
20176-512106
20166-616110
201510-3276
201413-2241
20135-623124
20129-414105
20117-49108
20106-551158
20096-535149

'24 is a huge year. 15th season at the helm for Spack. His resume puts him head and shoulders over those that came before him, but has not been good enough lately. Two years left on his contract, I think '24 determines whether we buy out his last year or extend him.

Going to attend my first spring game this year and will be focusing on the OL.

Dmills

Good sign that the KState transfer must be okay? And possibly the HS recruit?
I would think yes on both counts. Beckham is now presumably QB3, it must have been evident that Beckham would surpass Kaplan over the course of the season. Spack must be comfortable with the QB depth chart. Would be surprised to see Kaplan get any playing time at LB. I think we should be pretty deep there.

redbirds2000

This might be as good a place for this as any, didn't think it deserved a thread. Here's the Spack resume at ISU. Clearly the best performance of anyone to hold the job, but the trend ain't our friend, so to speak.

20236-512123
20226-531158
20214-734158
20201-332158
201910-512122
20186-5695
20176-512106
20166-616110
201510-3276
201413-2241
20135-623124
20129-414105
20117-49108
20106-551158
20096-535149

'24 is a huge year. 15th season at the helm for Spack. His resume puts him head and shoulders over those that came before him, but has not been good enough lately. Two years left on his contract, I think '24 determines whether we buy out his last year or extend him.

Going to attend my first spring game this year and will be focusing on the OL.
Whoah the 6 win seasons viewed like that hits a little different. So many missed play off opportunities. I'm sure all those seasons came down to a couple of possessions.

fourthandshort

Whoah the 6 win seasons viewed like that hits a little different. So many missed play off opportunities. I'm sure all those seasons came down to a couple of possessions.
no, not all 6-5 records are equally close to being playoff teams. But yet, I get the simple math .. if simple is what youre looking for.

But the 6-5 in 2023 was much much closer to a 2016 6-5 playoff team, than the 6-5 in 2022. One had 4 losses by a combined 8 pts to teams that were ranked somewhere between 15-25 for some, most, or all of the year. The other didn't and typically collapsed in 3rd or 4th qtr as the defense ran out of gas due to inconsistent offense.

But the one that lost 4 games by 8 combined pts has 55 JRs and SRs entering the 2024 fall season. So I would say the 6-5 season in 2023 was way better than than the 6-5 team in 2022, and slightly better than the playoff team in 2016 overall ... and that 2016 team went on road to the #12 ranked 9-2 FCS team and had them beat thru 3 qtrs ON ROAD .. but yes, they lost by 7 after giving away 10 pts in Q4 on fluke special team plays.

So I would submit not all 6-5 records are equal. Scores matter, quality wins/losses matter, and after that, returning players matter. Anyone can look at something as simple as a record and compare records ... while some are willing to dig a little deeper than simply record.

So no, not all 6-5 season came down to a couple of possessions ... and not even close to 2023 for sure. In fact, call it 1 possession on offense OR defense for each of those 4 games in 2023, and 6-5 could have been 8-3 or better .. but yes, it wasn't.

Did I mention that 2023 6-5 team who lost to 4 ranked teams by 8 combined pts, has 55 JRs and SRs returning in 2024 ?????

Yeah, that actually matters.

redbirds2000

no, not all 6-5 records are equally close to being playoff teams. But yet, I get the simple math .. if simple is what youre looking for.

But the 6-5 in 2023 was much much closer to a 2016 6-5 playoff team, than the 6-5 in 2022. One had 4 losses by a combined 8 pts to teams that were ranked somewhere between 15-25 for some, most, or all of the year. The other didn't and typically collapsed in 3rd or 4th qtr as the defense ran out of gas due to inconsistent offense.

But the one that lost 4 games by 8 combined pts has 55 JRs and SRs entering the 2024 fall season. So I would say the 6-5 season in 2023 was way better than than the 6-5 team in 2022, and slightly better than the playoff team in 2016 overall ... and that 2016 team went on road to the #12 ranked 9-2 FCS team and had them beat thru 3 qtrs ON ROAD .. but yes, they lost by 7 after giving away 10 pts in Q4 on fluke special team plays.

So I would submit not all 6-5 records are equal. Scores matter, quality wins/losses matter, and after that, returning players matter. Anyone can look at something as simple as a record and compare records ... while some are willing to dig a little deeper than simply record.

So no, not all 6-5 season came down to a couple of possessions ... and not even close to 2023 for sure. In fact, call it 1 possession on offense OR defense for each of those 4 games in 2023, and 6-5 could have been 8-3 or better .. but yes, it wasn't.

Did I mention that 2023 6-5 team who lost to 4 ranked teams by 8 combined pts, has 55 JRs and SRs returning in 2024 ?????

Yeah, that actually matters.
How about we just make it simple and win 8 games and remove all doubt? 6-5 will get you the same results. No playoffs and recruits viewing you as 6-5. Looks like 10 seasons with 6 or less wins. Doesn't really matter how you got there. You got there! And if 2024 is 6-5 or worse, there needs to be a change. 55 Jrs and Srs returning in 2024? That tells me that they either believe in what has been built or they had nowhere to go. Time will tell. I am glad that you clarified for me that all 6-5 Redbird teams are not created equal. We've found a way to be mediocre multiple ways! I should have typed "some" instead of "all". That was my fault.

StLRedbird

How about we just make it simple and win 8 games and remove all doubt? 6-5 will get you the same results. No playoffs and recruits viewing you as 6-5. Looks like 10 seasons with 6 or less wins. Doesn't really matter how you got there. You got there! And if 2024 is 6-5 or worse, there needs to be a change. 55 Jrs and Srs returning in 2024? That tells me that they either believe in what has been built or they had nowhere to go. Time will tell. I am glad that you clarified for me that all 6-5 Redbird teams are not created equal. We've found a way to be mediocre multiple ways! I should have typed "some" instead of "all". That was my fault.
Some of us talk like going 6-5 in the MVFC is a failure. The goal is playoffs every year, year in and year out. But 6-5 in the Valley is a record the vast majority of FCS football programs envy.

Over the years, fourth has documented how it is equivalent to 7-4, usually 8-3, in lesser conferences (all of them). He's documented how the conference routinely gets screwed by the FCS selection committee.

But it's time for the 'birds to get back to competing for Valley championships, and therefore nat'l championships. '24 can't get here soon enough. BTW, does the spring game feature a tailgate? Getting ahead of myself...

fourthandshort

I'm all for Spack winning more games .. but it doesn't change your original point or my response one bit. Nor does the rest of your response.

For the record, i was making these points before Haley from STATS put ISU in his top 18 teams for 2024, and said ISU is positioned to make the biggest jump in all of FCS next fall.

As a fan, I would think that would have you excited about 2024, even if you want to see Spack fired.

fourthandshort

real surface for winter season for first time ever - check !

protective structure for winter season - check !

budget friendly for stingy ISU admin and donor base - check !

will help us land more HS and portal recruits - check !

edit: interesting quote, "ISU quarterbacks and receivers rented an indoor facility once a week last offseason." And this offseason, they are using IPF 4 times each week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom