Spring practice right around the corner....who is pumped?!!

Adunk33

Staff member
I was thinking about this the other day. I hope the new turf is something cool now lame like it is now. Maybe Red end zones at least!

MadBird

First question is which guys are here already? Hopefully at least all of the transfers. Nice if some of the freshman were able to come early too (altho I'm totally opposed to that whole "HS guys graduate early" phenomenon). Especially nice if the juco WR and Megginson got some good reps in this spring.

fourthandshort

I have just one personnel question for spring ball .. is Greyshirt Kobe Buffalomeat being pulled from Spack's slow cooker ?

JHBird

Adunk33 said:
I was thinking about this the other day. I hope the new turf is something cool now lame like it is now. Maybe Red end zones at least!

I didn't know they redid the turf! I'm going to have to jog by the stadium tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping Buffalomeat is up to 300 lbs by now.

Adunk33

Staff member
JHBird said:
Adunk33 said:

I didn't know they redid the turf! I'm going to have to jog by the stadium tomorrow morning.

I don't think it's done yet, I just know they were planning on doing it sometime this spring.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
First question is which guys are here already? Hopefully at least all of the transfers. Nice if some of the freshman were able to come early too (altho I'm totally opposed to that whole "HS guys graduate early" phenomenon). Especially nice if the juco WR and Megginson got some good reps in this spring.

Madbird ... are you opposed to early HS grads enrolling early because it takes away from their HS experience ? Or something else ? I think making spring ball is huge advantage for whoever (transfers or early HS grads) for players and team.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
fourthandshort said:
I have just one personnel question for spring ball .. is Greyshirt Kobe Buffalomeat being pulled from Spack's slow cooker ?

I don't remember who but someone tweeted this basketball season a picture of him at a basketball game. So he's at least around campus. Probably a good sign.

MadBird

fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:

Madbird ... are you opposed to early HS grads enrolling early because it takes away from their HS experience ? Or something else ? I think making spring ball is huge advantage for whoever (transfers or early HS grads) for players and team.

Yeah, old school thinking I guess, but just finish up HS with all the rest of the kids. Go to prom, skip day, etc. :D

Things will get tough enough soon enough.

But like I said, if "everyone" is doing it, would be nice to have as many as we can on board.

Maybe if our friend Reinhardt is reading, we could get a report on early enrollees?? ;)

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
MadBird said:
fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:

Yeah, old school thinking I guess, but just finish up HS with all the rest of the kids. Go to prom, skip day, etc. :D

Things will get tough enough soon enough.

But like I said, if "everyone" is doing it, would be nice to have as many as we can on board.

Maybe if our friend Reinhardt is reading, we could get a report on early enrollees?? ;)
[img=https://media.giphy.com/media/nGfq3wFe2CSA/giphy.gif][/img]

cpacmel

Adunk33 said:
JHBird said:
Adunk33 said:

I don't think it's done yet, I just know they were planning on doing it sometime this spring.

I think the plan is to start after the spring game.

Anyone know when the spring game is?

JHBird

cpacmel said:
Adunk33 said:
JHBird said:

I'm hoping they do more than just 'flip the bird' on the turf...be nice if it's something really noticeable.

JHBird said:
cpacmel said:
Adunk33 said:

I'm hoping they do more than just 'flip the bird' on the turf...be nice if it's something really noticeable.

From what I remember, someone on the board said they're installing it after spring practice when this topic came up at the end of last season.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
JHBird said:
cpacmel said:
Adunk33 said:

I don't see them ever doing this unless the west side stands are replaced. They do it for TV because they want the east side stands in the background of the TV shot and so for Reggie to be right side up on TV, it has to look upside down to the east stands.

MadBird

Recarpeting project, "flip the Bird", MadBird's suggestion from an old thread:

35 yard lines on each side, have a MVFC logo on one 35 and the Redbird logo on the other, facing stands on either side.

50 yard line, have a large block I, red and white, like the I on the front of the retro hoops jersey, so it is "right side up" to either side of the field.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
Recarpeting project, "flip the Bird", MadBird's suggestion from an old thread:

35 yard lines on each side, have a MVFC logo on one 35 and the Redbird logo on the other, facing stands on either side.

50 yard line, have a large block I, red and white, like the I on the front of the retro hoops jersey, so it is "right side up" to either side of the field.

so I guess we've ruled out my idea to put the logo on a swivel and rotate it each quarter. Would have been great to have the PA guy announce to crowd ... on now behalf of Redbird Football, we would like to recognize all of our fans on west side of Hancock by "flipping them the bird" .. then have crowd join in with the instruction to .... FLIP ... THE ... BIRD !!!

Imagine the enthusiasm and participation from the student section alone. :eusa-naughty:

But if you guys want to settle for lame, then go ahead !

JHBird

isuquinndog said:
JHBird said:
cpacmel said:

I don't see them ever doing this unless the west side stands are replaced. They do it for TV because they want the east side stands in the background of the TV shot and so for Reggie to be right side up on TV, it has to look upside down to the east stands.

That does sound like a good reason not to flip it. I like sitting in the GA west side just so I can look at the newer east side.

StLRedbird

Open letter to ISU: Please, please do something noticeable to the paint on the new turf. I don't give much of a rip which way Reggie is facing, but I really, really don't want to see "Illinois State" and "Redbirds" endzones in red paint on plain green turf next fall. Please. I'm begging you.