South Dakota State vs North Dakota State

Redbirds100

College Game day is coming to Brookings

https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay

Looking forward to this matchup

Adunk33

Staff member
Very cool. The FCS did a campaign a few weeks back on Twitter to have FCS featured on Gameday. I'm glad they went with an MVFC school. I'd have anxiety about Gameday coming here. Would our fans come out in droves like you see other schools do every Saturday? If they did it for a 2 p.m. game, would fans want to stand behind the camera and be loud or more focused in getting in the tailgate lots? A lot of things could go wrong hosting Gameday, but that exposure would be well worth it. Hopefully the Bunnies take this one and show that NDSU is beatable.

ChiRedbirdfan

Adunk33 said:
Very cool. The FCS did a campaign a few weeks back on Twitter to have FCS featured on Gameday. I'm glad they went with an MVFC school. I'd have anxiety about Gameday coming here. Would our fans come out in droves like you see other schools do every Saturday? If they did it for a 2 p.m. game, would fans want to stand behind the camera and be loud or more focused in getting in the tailgate lots? A lot of things could go wrong hosting Gameday, but that exposure would be well worth it. Hopefully the Bunnies take this one and show that NDSU is beatable.

I would take gameday at ISU in a heartbeat. The fans would definitely come out and would be a boost to the program. You would have all kinds of college football fans, ISU or not, showing up for college game day.

Big deal for .SDSU esp being in such a small town.

JHBird

Adunk33 said:

It's never been a problem with fans showing up before the game, it's actually getting them into the game that's the issue.

ChiRedbirdfan

Chi-bird said:
Absolutely awesome for the MVFC!

I do not see how this game on game day helps the MVFC overall. I'd say:
1. Huge exposure for SDSU football program and the university.
2. Huge exposure for NDSU football
3. Good for FCS football as only a very small percentage of college football fans (2%?) know what FCS football represents...nearly everyone says it is division 2 or 3 as the only thing they do know is that FCS is not the same as (or is something less than) Div 1 FBS. I actually wish FCS was called Division 2 and the current D2 and D3 get bumped to D3 and D4 respectively. It would be less confusing for college football fans.

Beyond that I do not believe there will be any meaningful exposure or benefits for the other MVFC members.

fourthandshort

I'm with chi bird.. this is good for MVFC, similar to how the 2014 Natty was good for MVFC. It brings positive attention to our league and not just NDSU.

StLRedbird

In 2013, ESPN Gameday was broadcast from Fargo. The Bizen beat Delaware St that day 51-0. Maybe one takeaway here is that hosting Gameday appears to be within our reach. A top 5 FCS match up paired with a lack of marquee FBS games might be enough to do it.

MadBird

StLRedbird said:
In 2013, ESPN Gameday was broadcast from Fargo. The Bizen beat Delaware St that day 51-0. Maybe one takeaway here is that hosting Gameday appears to be within our reach. A top 5 FCS match up paired with a lack of marquee FBS games might be enough to do it.

Anything's possible - granted it's a "legendary" rivalry, but Gameday, or maybe Sportscenter, went DIII a couple years ago. Set up in Collegeville MN for the St John's - St. Thomas game. Quite a show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsXLuRcT6HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3oIAXt9pns

ChiRedbirdfan

StLRedbird said:
:text-+1: Definitely within reach just need to get the football program back to a top tier competitor. We had a taste and know what it looks like but unfortunately fell right back into the middle of the pack. I feel the ISU campus and stadium would set up real nice and look GREAT on college game day!

No surprise that NDSU has been a part of college game day 2x in 6 years. SDSU also being rewarded as a consistent top tier performer. It also helps the vibe/decision for college game day that this is a meaningful rival game (Dakota marker). ISU has zero meaningful or exciting football rivals .... I vote to kill that meaningless, worthless and embarrassing ”EIU rival” game and spend some energy thinking about who should be our rival and how to create. It usually takes a long time (not always) to create a rival so start the process sooner than later

btw I know others like playing EIU but I truly feel that promoting that annual game diminishes the image of ISU and ISU athletics to the level of EIU and EIU athletics.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
StLRedbird said:
:text-+1: Definitely within reach just need to get the football program back to a top tier competitor. We had a taste and know what it looks like but unfortunately fell right back into the middle of the pack. I feel the ISU campus and stadium would set up real nice and look GREAT on college game day!

No surprise that NDSU has been a part of college game day 2x in 6 years. SDSU also being rewarded as a consistent top tier performer. It also helps the vibe/decision for college game day that this is a meaningful rival game (Dakota marker). ISU has zero meaningful or exciting football rivals .... I vote to kill that meaningless, worthless and embarrassing ”EIU rival” game and spend some energy thinking about who should be our rival and how to create. It usually takes a long time (not always) to create a rival so start the process sooner than later

btw I know others like playing EIU but I truly feel that promoting that annual game diminishes the image of ISU and ISU athletics to the level of EIU and EIU athletics.
I'm with you on this one ... the rivalry has lost its luster. Thing is, it makes OOC scheduling for our AD a whole lot easier. He does nice job booking FBS games for most part. I like the idea of 1 OOC patsy, and those are pretty easy to schedule ... except for St Xavier .. cough cough ... ahem ... Anyway, then locking in h&h with EIU ... easy peasy.

But agree, we need to start mixing up more .. maybe do EIU h&h every other year. Find some more Big Sky teams to do h&h in non-EIU years. Plus 1 more OOC in years like 2019 when there is extra week in season.

But AD Lyons just might have to work a little harder at schedule !!!!

"Scheduling is hard work", AD Lyons famous quote .. circa August 2018 explaining why we got stuck playing an NAIA team, knowing that win would not count towards our playoff consideration.

"Whew !!!", AD Lyons less famous quote ... circa November 2018 after we lost to ISUb, our 5th losses virtually guaranteeing no playoff bid.

Hamdonger

ChiRedbirdfan said:
.... I vote to kill that meaningless, worthless and embarrassing ”EIU rival” game and spend some energy thinking about who should be our rival and how to create.

Clearly in my mind and if I were an administrator or coach the bleeping Bison would be the circle game every single year. Isn't that a no-brainer?? If we play them competitively and win a few it wouldn't take long. Recruiting-wise every single solitary player ought to know that the reason you're coming to ISU is to get a piece of that Bisonbutt.

It's not just macho testosterone talk. If that's not the standard, why do we play?

Chi-bird

Rivalries need to be created naturally, and not forced. I kind of feel like the EIU thing was a little forced, but it has worked a little bit. Lately it's been uninspiring, but if EIU consistently won its conference, it could pick up steam. Either way, I don't love the rivalry with them, but we don't have to end it in order for other rivalries to emerge.

fourthandshort

Chi-bird said:
Rivalries need to be created naturally, and not forced. I kind of feel like the EIU thing was a little forced, but it has worked a little bit. Lately it's been uninspiring, but if EIU consistently won its conference, it could pick up steam. Either way, I don't love the rivalry with them, but we don't have to end it in order for other rivalries to emerge.

I don't see how we cultivate anything else if we're still playing EIU, when most seasons we play just 11 games and 3 OOC ... FBS, FCS patsy, EIU. Unless we went to every other year with EIU h&h.

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:
Chi-bird said:

I don't see how we cultivate anything else if we're still playing EIU, when most seasons we play just 11 games and 3 OOC ... FBS, FCS patsy, EIU. Unless we went to every other year with EIU h&h.
:text-+1: agree it is hard to cultivate a rivalry while still playing one. Also agree the best rivalries are typically natural although the Big Ten has made an effort to try and create rivalries for the rivalry week of football...ie Michigan St vs Maryland, Penn State vs Rutgers, Iowa vs Nebraska (btw Barry Alvarez lobbied hard to try and get Wisconsin vs Nebraska for rivalry week but was forced to stick with Wisconsin vs Minnesota which is still a good rival). Maybe once the MVFC goes to an even number of teams the MVFC too (like all of the major conferences) can have an annual rivalry week and maybe ISU vs Uni could be the rivalry match up? Other MVFC rivals.. UND vs NDSU, SDSU vs SD, Western vs Southern, Youngstown vs InSU. Manufacturing a rivalry vs UNI would be more fun and make more financial sense than playing EIU every year.

In the best of worlds the new ISU rival would definitely be in conference vs out of conference team so that ISU can keep out of conference scheduling freedom. I feel as though ISU should go on the road and play, if possible, two P5s every year and an FCS patsy (pioneer league team). Use the two big pay days every year to fund the IPF. Not the best route but ISU needs to suck it up and catch up one way or another. They could still make the playoffs via the one patsy win and playing solid ball in the MVFC. Losing 2x to FBS teams should not hurt the team too much either as ISU would be expected to lose. Additionally i like the publicity ISU would get (along with the money) playing FBS teams . I would think that would help recruiting too? btw the more I think of the economics of playing EIU the more I dislike that game. What a gift for EIU to have a home and home with ISU. What is in it for us? If we hit the road in non-conference games ISU might as well be getting paid big for it (hence go and play a p5).

fourthandshort

I assumed the rivalry topic was related to OOC games. In conference, is much easier, but it kind of has to develop naturally. UNI would be most logical since the IL directionals have all been struggling of late. Though SIU is showing a pulse this year, hard to believe that will be sustainable. WIU looks to have very difficult short term future, if not long term. Same for OOC EIU. So I'm thinking UNI .. problem there is I think they seem more inclined to view NDSU and SDSU as better rivalry games ... even though they have more history with us.

Redbird28

With Indiana and Illinois having always been natural rivals it would make way more sense if ISUb was our true rival just based on proximity alone. We are 6-3 against them since 2010, but 2-2 in our last 4. The back and forth W/L needs to stop from my greedy alum standpoint, but it's what really turns the game in to a true rivalry game. It's too bad there's not some kind of crazy history that could generate a trophy. Then all the sudden that game means a whole lot more.

Top Bottom