So UNI gets an NIT bid and we don't?

topiarydan

So MVC gets 2 teams into NCAA tourney and yet only 1 to NIT and it goes to UNI (who we beat twice and who we at least split with Missouri State and whom UNI lost 3 times to). Neitherr UNI nor ISU beat Drake. Granted UNI SOS better but I don't think they lit anyone up. Surprised Horizon league got 2 to NIT but MVC did not

Cindy00

UNI did technically finish 3rd in conference and they played better than us during non-conference. They have always had a good team so I'm sure their reputation helped. The fact that we are even talking post-season shows how far we've come. I'm confident we'll be playing somewhere next year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Redbird82

On the women’s side since 64 make it, the highest non NCAA finisher qualifies. UNI was an automatic qualifier. The 2 early losses to Loyola and INSU when not at full strength hurt. Win either and we finish 3rd. I would actually make an exception and play in the WBI this year but don’t believe we will.

chuckie1980

I do believe that the women's NCAA basketball brackets are a bit more civil and respectful than the men's.

I am not surprised by the teams that qualified....but if UNI made it to the NIT....ISU should have had enough late season accomplishments to qualify for the NIT. It definitely is big enough.

I thought the Drake and MoState NCAA picks were a bit man-nish in the fact that there placement and competition were more like the man side brackets.....(note I did not say MAN SIZE).

I hope ROBIN PINGETON's team beats Drake.but the TIgers defeated early in the season against MoState by 4 points.

Redbird82

Again UNI was an automatic qualifier, they didn't get chosen over us. I think we were close to an at large in NIT.

Reggie Redbird

Unfortunately we play in a conference that is about half in on supporting their WBB teams and half not. Drake is hot right now and has a stable of good players. Hopefully they can keep Baranczyk at the head of their program, although she may end up going the way of Robin Pingeton if she gets an offer at 2-3x her annual pay (or more). Missouri State supports its team and it shows as well. UNI gets a lot of success from the resources it gives Tanya Warren. We have invested a lot in our program and are getting back into having success. However, teams like Valpo, Loyola, UE, and up until recently Bradley, do not help the conference. Indiana State had a good stretch, but they're weak again now.

I mention this that we missed out but teams like Seton Hall and Georgetown make it as Big East teams around .500. The NET ratings only seem to hurt mid-major conference teams versus keeping out worse bigger-conference schools.

redbirdfan99

chuckie1980 said:
I do believe that the women's NCAA basketball brackets are a bit more civil and respectful than the men's.

I am not surprised by the teams that qualified....but if UNI made it to the NIT....ISU should have had enough late season accomplishments to qualify for the NIT. It definitely is big enough.

I thought the Drake and MoState NCAA picks were a bit man-nish in the fact that there placement and competition were more like the man side brackets.....(note I did not say MAN SIZE).

I hope ROBIN PINGETON's team beats Drake.but the TIgers defeated early in the season against MoState by 4 points.

Congrats to Coach Gillespie for continued progress with a young team and the much needed cultural change -- the confidence to compete and a winning culture. ISU fans can look forward to even better things to come.

Yes, the Women's Redbird team this year finished strong and showed on the court they are the 3rd best team in the MVC this season. One of only two teams to defeat Missouri State in conference play. The confidence and ability to finish games strong was noteworthy over the 2nd half of conference play.

Drake is a very good team, but it was laughable they were ranked #21 in the nation going into the MVC Tournament. No MVC team has that kind of athleticism, speed and size. Missouri State's dominant win in the Tourney championship is a blueprint for defeating Drake, and for consistently winning in the MVC. The Lady Bears played strong defense for 40 minutes, and absolutely took away Drake's inside scoring, relegating Drake to scoring on the 3 point perimeter when they could. The Drake team is accustomed to getting 10 to 20 easy layups per game on teams that cannot defend the paint against their motion offense, constant backdoor cuts, and quality passing. Couple that strong defense with aggressive play on offense, against Drake's average, gambling style of defense and what happens - a whole lot of Drake fouls and free throws for the Lady Bears, and a whole lot of Drake turnovers. And a 21 point lead going into the 4th quarter. I'm guessing Robin Pingeton will be watching video from that game.

With Goods graduating, even more challenges for Coach G. But I think Redbird fans can appreciate that this coaching staff has the program headed in the right direction.

Top Bottom