Snubbed Article

ISU FAN 1

https://stockdailydish.com/illinois-state-syracuse-head-six-ncaa-tournament-snubs/

Why is this resurfacing, other than to rub salt in our wounds? Haven’t we suffered enough?

Bird Friend

So why did you post it here? To reopen old wounds and rub salt in them? Haven't we suffered enough?

Adunk33

Staff member
Well, that sucked. Thanks for the reminder :lol:

Phantom

Bird Friend said:
So why did you post it here? To reopen old wounds and rub salt in them? Haven't we suffered enough?

:lol:

I said in January of that season that we wouldn't have enough even if we won out until Sunday. I also said on that Selection Sunday and I'll say it again now. Still probably an unpopular opinion, but whatever: We didn't get snubbed.

We just didn't do QUITE enough.

27-4 (17-1) regular season champs, RPI 33 looks & sounds great. But that's where the buck stopped. I said in January '17 that unless we win the tourney, we'd get no at large. The non-con wasn't impressive, and we had two killer losses that would've eliminated any at-large shot. Let's not forget the committee will look to exploit the SLIGHTEST stain on any mid major resume. Even riding the coattails of WSU's heyday wasn't going to help, and getting bombed by them in the title game was the final nail in the coffin.

- Take away one of those bad non-con losses, we probably get in.
- Don't lose by 20 in the title game, we probably get in.

At the end of the day though, we didn't get snubbed. We did the maximum a mid major can do and still not get in (including getting a LOT of help in other conference tourneys that year), but the decision was understandable...sucked then, sucks now...but it is what it is.

ChiRedbirdfan

Phantom said:
Bird Friend said:

:lol:

I said in January of that season that we wouldn't have enough even if we won out until Sunday. I also said on that Selection Sunday and I'll say it again now. Still probably an unpopular opinion, but whatever: We didn't get snubbed.

We just didn't do QUITE enough.

27-4 (17-1) regular season champs, RPI 33 looks & sounds great. But that's where the buck stopped. I said in January '17 that unless we win the tourney, we'd get no at large. The non-con wasn't impressive, and we had two killer losses that would've eliminated any at-large shot. Let's not forget the committee will look to exploit the SLIGHTEST stain on any mid major resume. Even riding the coattails of WSU's heyday wasn't going to help, and getting bombed by them in the title game was the final nail in the coffin.

- Take away one of those bad non-con losses, we probably get in.
- Don't lose by 20 in the title game, we probably get in.

At the end of the day though, we didn't get snubbed. We did the maximum a mid major can do and still not get in (including getting a LOT of help in other conference tourneys that year), but the decision was understandable...sucked then, sucks now...but it is what it is.

:text-+1: :text-+1:
I agree that the 2016-17 ISU team had the talent to be an ncaa tournament team but I differ from the snubbers in that I believe ISU ultimately underachieved and failed to earn/prove worthy of an ncaa bid. The Redbirds were 27-6 at the time of selection Sunday, 17-1 MVC and tied for 1st in conference with the following notables:

1. Lost at Murray State in the season opener. Murray State finished the season 16-17, 8-8 in the ovc and was seeded 7th in their conference tournament. A bad loss and the one the sits atop the Redbird resume when you look at their record...meaning unfortunately it sticks out like a yellow pimple on the end of a nose. 

2. Lost the 3rd game of the season at TCU, at team that was 19-15 on selection Sunday, 6-12 in the Big 12 and finished 7th place in their conference. 

3. Lost at Tulsa, 15-17 record, 8-10 AAC, 7th place in conference

4. Finished 3rd in a weak/marginal Diamond Head Classic Holiday tournament with a loss to San Francisco, 20-12, 10-8 WCC, 4th in the WCC.

5. Finished 17-1 (but so did another MVC team) regular season in the 12th RPI conference with Sun Belt and MAC right on the MVC heels as respects to RPI. Had an impressive win over the Shockers at home when unfortunately not on national TV only to get absolutely obliterated by Wichita 2 times in a row when the game was on national TV.

6. No notable wins outside of the home Wichita game. 

Too bad Wichita Marshall was not the coach of this Redbird team as they had the talent to make the ncaa and win a few games, IMO.

ricohill

Great team, not a good enough resume to deserve to be in the dance. Also, blew the only chance to ever host Illinois is Redbird Arena will be one of the most crushing blows in my lifetime. Thanks, Muller.

bombay

Gotta snake a few mid-majors to make room for deserving teams like 14-16 alahama.

DWRedbird

ricohill said:
Great team, not a good enough resume to deserve to be in the dance. Also, blew the only chance to ever host Illinois is Redbird Arena will be one of the most crushing blows in my lifetime. Thanks, Muller.

My thing about the not deserving, is that in my opinion we deserved it more than Wake Forest and Vandy. We can talk all we want about the games we didnt win, but I will never be convinced that a team who can't win 20 games deserves a spot in the tourney. I think we got snubbed because we should have gotten in over them.

chuckie1980

Snubbed by a tournament with the yearly reputation of always snubbing a collection of teams.

If a team could looked through their season and say that if THIS HAPPENED then they know they will be invited...then maybe being SNUBBED will just go away.

Living through this garbage for so many years...I always blame the NCAA and their tournament policies for creating the atmosphere. I never have blamed a team or coach for not reaching the tournament (NCAA) and the backup (NIT).

Fix ISU? please. FIX NCAA.

Phantom

chuckie1980 said:
Snubbed by a tournament with the yearly reputation of always snubbing a collection of teams.

If a team could looked through their season and say that if THIS HAPPENED then they know they will be invited...then maybe being SNUBBED will just go away.

Living through this garbage for so many years...I always blame the NCAA and their tournament policies for creating the atmosphere. I never have blamed a team or coach for not reaching the tournament (NCAA) and the backup (NIT).

True to an extent, but at the end of the day, the onus is on the team. Sure, the selection committee snubs teams each year but if you want to avoid that...DON'T GIVE THEM A REASON TO EXCLUDE YOU.

In 2017, we gave them about 5. In 2008 and 2009, we gave them about 15.

So while at first glance it appears we got screwed, one brief deeper look shows we simply didn't earn the at-large. When it comes to mid-majors, the NCAA always has a keep-them-out first mentality, so you have to reduce the amount of ammo they have against you and you can't slip up.

chuckie1980

Phantom...that's the kind of BS that just needs to be removed. There is one Division One basketball....not two.

Phantom

chuckie1980 said:
Phantom...that's the kind of BS that just needs to be removed. There is one Division One basketball....not two.

I, and virtually every mid-major fan in the country agree there's tons of BS involved. The committee has a moving target every year and if you don't hit it perfectly, they will exclude you. in 2008, 2009 and 2017 we unfortunately checked far too many of their "No" boxes.

The committee will never allow 2006 to happen again.

chuckie1980

The committee will never allow any prior year to happen again...because they still have never gotten right.

ricohill

The easy solution is to win the MVC tournament championship. We've lost by 9 (blowing a 16 point lead), 20, and 16 points the last 3 times we've been in it. Don't leave it in the hands of the selection committee.

ChiRedbirdfan

Phantom said:
chuckie1980 said:

True to an extent, but at the end of the day, the onus is on the team. Sure, the selection committee snubs teams each year but if you want to avoid that...DON'T GIVE THEM A REASON TO EXCLUDE YOU.

In 2017, we gave them about 5. In 2008 and 2009, we gave them about 15.

So while at first glance it appears we got screwed, one brief deeper look shows we simply didn't earn the at-large. When it comes to mid-majors, the NCAA always has a keep-them-out first mentality, so you have to reduce the amount of ammo they have against you and you can't slip up.

:text-+1: Well said Phantom....each and every team controls their own destiny. Each and every year there are teams that feel snubbed but some other fortunate teams that just made it in. Passing blame elsewhere is nothing other than deflecting or ignoring reality, IMO.

Adunk33

Staff member
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand time and have been ridiculed for a "defeatist mindset." At our level, there is one way to 100% make the NCAA tournament. Win your conference tournament. The committee has shown enough over the years that they will look for reasons to put in a .500 P5 team over a 22+ win MM.

Don't put your fate in the hands of other people.

Phantom

Adunk33 said:
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand time and have been ridiculed for a "defeatist mindset." At our level, there is one way to 100% make the NCAA tournament. Win your conference tournament. The committee has shown enough over the years that they will look for reasons to put in a .500 P5 team over a 22+ win MM.

Don't put your fate in the hands of other people.

Bingo.

The defeatest mindset would be relying on assistance from the committee to throw us a bone. Screw that. Own it, do the work, and find a way in ourselves, whether that be by winning the MVC tourney, or not shitting up a 27-win season with suicidal losses to bad teams, or getting blown out on national TV...twice.

Top Bottom