SIU

cubird

Didn't get to watch the game. Box score shows that Dowell and Wong combined for 45 points for the win.

mvcfan80

Didn't get to watch the game. Box score shows that Dowell and Wong combined for 45 points for the win.
We were very lucky to win. Really concerned about having to win 2 of last 3 to stay out of Thursday game.
Missouri State did not play anyone over 21 minutes and we played an OT game against a bad team. Could get ugly Saturday. I am sure we will be fired up but hard to very optimistic about a road game against a very good team.

TbooMarshall

We were very lucky to win. Really concerned about having to win 2 of last 3 to stay out of Thursday game.
Missouri State did not play anyone over 21 minutes and we played an OT game against a bad team. Could get ugly Saturday. I am sure we will be fired up but hard to very optimistic about a road game against a very good team.
“Hard to be very optimistic”. Lol.

MVCFAN80… what are your expectations? 24-9 (17-3) and a WNBA draft pick every year? Last years team won by 3 in Carbondale. It’s always been tough to play there for the past 7 years Coach G has been here, and long before that.

We are currently :
19-8
12-5 MVC
11-3 in last 14 games.

Do we at times struggle to score the ball, yes. Have we blown many average teams out? No. But we are finding ways to win. If we wind up with back to back 20 win seasons, and our 4th straight postseason birth (WNIT or NCAA), I’d call that a good year when you had to replace the best 3 pt shooter in school history and a MVC POY, WNBA draft pick.

We soon forget what life was like back in 2016.

Redbird82

“Hard to be very optimistic”. Lol.

MVCFAN80… what are your expectations? 24-9 (17-3) and a WNBA draft pick every year? Last years team won by 3 in Carbondale. It’s always been tough to play there for the past 7 years Coach G has been here, and long before that.

We are currently :
19-8
12-5 MVC
11-3 in last 14 games.

Do we at times struggle to score the ball, yes. Have we blown many average teams out? No. But we are finding ways to win. If we wind up with back to back 20 win seasons, and our 4th straight postseason birth (WNIT or NCAA), I’d call that a good year when you had to replace the best 3 pt shooter in school history and a MVC POY, WNBA draft pick.

We soon forget what life was like back in 2016.
This is another good year, Gillespie has done a great job since she has been here. But we have struggled on the road this year, and it’s not very likely we win against MSU. But can win the last 2 home games and still secure the 1st round bye

mvcfan80

This is another good year, Gillespie has done a great job since she has been here. But we have struggled on the road this year, and it’s not very likely we win against MSU. But can win the last 2 home games and still secure the 1st round by

mvcfan80

I agree it has been a very good year. My optimistic comment was in regard to getting a top 4 seed. We are capable of winning all 3 of these games. But winning on the road has been a struggle. We have played well at home but Belmont and Murray State will require us to really play well to win.Massey gives us 36% chance against MO State, 38% chance against Belmont and 58% chance against Murray State.
I think we match up pretty well against MO. State but it is a road game.Belmont's defense is really good. Just have to outscore Murray State.

Loyl2u

Hoping that most of the preparation time was used for (SW) Missouri State. Here is hoping they are ready to play from the toss Saturday, fighting over screens and closing out on shooters, pushing the ball up the court, going hard to get open and hitting the boards. Go Birds

Reggie Redbird

Just a couple thoughts:

1.) We seem to go on the road as Dee goes. How much does Moline represent a road game for this team? This game, we had someone else mightily step up (Dowell). The questions: how will Dee play in Moline? How will the officials call the game in the tournament? If she picks up a “frustration foul,” that could change the dynamic of the game if she’s on the bench or hesitant around the hoop.

2.) Can we get more valuable minutes out of Savannah? She has played more recently; we could use her eating some minutes in an opening game. She ate Evansville up inside. Not having to play Kate and Dee 35+ minutes in early games could help. Savannah does a nice job around the hoop.

3.) We seem to do well when Kate shoots more. I’m not sure if it’s called that she doesn’t shoot more or if she just is not a scorer. There have been games where her clutch shooting in the 4th quarter have made a difference in getting a win. To stretch opponents more, she needs to be a scoring option. She can hit a post shot, can drive effectively, and hit an outside 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom