SIU

V Boy

They play like a team. They play defense. They don’t turn it over. They make the extra pass. And they get the ball into the hands of their best player most possessions.

ask yourself.... do we do any of those things? Name one.

mullins is clearly recruiting a different type of kid than Muller. Mullins places value system over any physical attribute.

Muller is chewing out his transfers (who just got here) for not trying hard enough.

Mullins has barely been SIU coach for 12 months and he already passed up the guy who has been here almost a decade.

Sad.

V Boy

SIU just went on the road and pretty much dominated a Top 20 Big East program.

Redbird222

SIU looks good and they are relying on 4 sophmores, one senior, and a freshman. They should be good for the next 3 years. My question this year would be the bench depth and experience.

As far as Butler, they were missing their starting senior point guard and the team is back less than 10 days from a 2 week layoff due to COVID.

It's still a good road win for SIU.

V Boy

I also love when everyone talks about how young ISU is.....for purposes of lowering expectations of course.

SIU top 7 players.

soph
Soph
Soph
Soph
Sr
Frosh
Frosh

they are 6-0. Beat Murray St. Beat Butler. Doesn’t seem like their expectations are too low.

CaliRdBrd

SIU looks good and they are relying on 4 sophmores, one senior, and a freshman. They should be good for the next 3 years. My question this year would be the bench depth and experience.

As far as Butler, they were missing their starting senior point guard and the team is back less than 10 days from a 2 week layoff due to COVID.

It's still a good road win for SIU.
Our identity is collecting a bunch of highly athletic project players with attitudes that everyone else has passed on. Muller seems to think he can be the one to reach, and develop, these kids; a noble cause but it continues to backfire. Get us a coach who recruits gym rats and we’ll then create an identity, and compete every year.

Last edited:

Redbird222

I also love when everyone talks about how young ISU is.....for purposes of lowering expectations of course.

SIU top 7 players.

soph
Soph
Soph
Soph
Sr
Frosh
Frosh

they are 6-0. Beat Murray St. Beat Butler. Doesn’t seem like their expectations are too low.
I was the only who mentioned their age and i did it because they are playing well. I also said they are going to be good for the next three years.

I do think their inexperience may factor into games. They had a 16 point lead with 15 minutes to go tonight. Jones picked up a 4th foul on a charge when they didn't have numbers ... as a senior he pulls that out. They had quick possessions and some missed free throws the last 10 minutes that helped let Butler back in the game. They had an unfortunate turnover and Butler had a chance to tie the game with an in bounds play under Butler's basket. Two years from now this game doesn't come down to a last minute possession. You may think I am lowering the expectations, perhaps I am just tempering it a bit. Oh well.

I will say this, I like our sophomores and Freshmen but theirs are playing better than our right now ... especially defensively.

V Boy

I was the only who mentioned their age and i did it because they are playing well. I also said they are going to be good for the next three years.

I do think their inexperience may factor into games. They had a 16 point lead with 15 minutes to go tonight. Jones picked up a 4th foul on a charge when they didn't have numbers ... as a senior he pulls that out. They had quick possessions and some missed free throws the last 10 minutes that helped let Butler back in the game. They had an unfortunate turnover and Butler had a chance to tie the game with an in bounds play under Butler's basket. Two years from now this game doesn't come down to a last minute possession. You may think I am lowering the expectations, perhaps I am just tempering it a bit. Oh well.

I will say this, I like our sophomores and Freshmen but theirs are playing better than our right now ... especially defensively.
Hey just to clarify I just randomly posted my post about this. Did not read your post a few mins before so none of this is directed at you.

ILLST25

SIU played some great basketball last night. Well coached with few mistakes.

WoodlandWarrior

Have to admit the Salukis are competitive under Mullins. Their 6-0 start is impressive. As a long time fan from the Collins era I want our program to be top 3-4 in the Valley every year and at least be an NIT selection. Mediocrity for long stretches in between the occasional breakout season is insufficient.

jamminjamarsmiley

Bradley and SIU were among the worst D1 programs back in 2012. Janko had built ISU into a contender year in, year out in a very strong MVC (unlike today). Sad what a difference 8 years makes. Standings from 2012 below. Dan was handed a stacked deck and has squandered it.

196AFD99-CDB9-47F2-BE70-51A9D571F6E9.jpeg

Baltimore Bird

SIU is a great example of what coaching does in College Basketball. I sure hope we get back there soon.

redbirds2000

Exactly what does HCDM bring to the table? I’m struggling to come up with one positive...
I'll give a positive! He has hired some really good assistant coaches. Not quite sure about this group. But he has brought in some guys that have had some success, but were smart enough to jump ship when the timing was right. And he is going for a Thursday 3Peat! Meanwhile, the school's biggest rival is going for a Sunday 3Peat. Has any other ISU coach pulled off that feat??