Shaka, Shaka, Shaka ????

Rocket Man

At this point, it looks like this will be Shaka Smart's last season at Texas. Things could change, but not likely. Let's pretend the Illinois State HC job opens at the end of the season (yes, I know, not likely). Would you want Shaka at ISU? Would it be feasible to hire him?

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/01/26/ncaa-basketball-illinois-surges-shaka-smarts-future-weekly-takeaways/

Discuss . . .

stats

If you are in the bottom half of your conference in the Big 12 or Big East, there are no easy wins. They have net rankings of 1,4,7,38,46, 61,70,71,76,88. Even though the majority of the schools in the Big 10, ACC and SEC are usually pretty awesome , there are usually 2 or 3 teams in the conference, you can count on for easy wins. Teams can't do that in the ten-team Big 12.

In my opinion, Shaka will usually be in the bottom half in that conference, but would almost always be near the top in a mid major. You could probably say the same about Bruce Weber.

I would definitely love to see ISU hire Shaka, but no I don't think it is feasible as he is currently locked up at $3 million a year.

Rocket Man

If Shaka gets fired at Texas he is not going to make $3 million with his next gig. More than likely he will either go to middle tier to bottom dwelling P6 program or a mid-major. I just thought it would be fun to think about him coming to ISU. However, more than likely he will make $1 - 1.5 million in his next job. So yeah, probably too rich for ISU.

It is hard to figure out why he has not experienced success at Texas. He's a young hip coach and during his days at VCU and early tenure at Texas he was kind of a darling of the national media. Texas is a recruiting hotbed for basketball. He had phenomenal success at VCU. So why do peeps think he has struggled at Texas?

DannyCooksey

There are several choices Shaka will have that are far superior than coming to ISU.

1---he could take another job at a better program for more money.
2---he could take a cushy studio analyst gig for $500K+ for a couple years.
3--he could retire if he wanted
4---he could become a high school coach
5--he could start a record label
6--he could become a motivational speaker and make serious $$$
7--he could go into politics
8--he could learn to cook or bake and open a restaurant or bakery
9--he could become a pharmaceutical rep
10--he could become a writer/author

MadBird

Rocket Man said:
If Shaka gets fired at Texas he is not going to make $3 million with his next gig. More than likely he will either go to middle tier to bottom dwelling P6 program or a mid-major. I just thought it would be fun to think about him coming to ISU. However, more than likely he will make $1 - 1.5 million in his next job. So yeah, probably too rich for ISU.

It is hard to figure out why he has not experienced success at Texas. He's a young hip coach and during his days at VCU and early tenure at Texas he was kind of a darling of the national media. Texas is a recruiting hotbed for basketball. He had phenomenal success at VCU. So why do peeps think he has struggled at Texas?

I don't disagree at all that Shaka is a "hip young coach", and folks on this board have speculated about the kind of coach who might be next if we need a next, but you know, check out the Top 25 and there aren't all that many "hip young" coaches in there. Lots of cranky, what was it called on one thread there - intense and crazy, coaches out there. Mark Few, Scott Drew (50+ years old), Bill Self, Brian Dutcher/San Diego St. (60 years old), Leonard Hamilton, Chris Mack (50+ years old), Anthony Grant (50+ years old), Coach K, Izzo, Calipari, Huggins, etc. etc. - well, you get my point.

I'm wondering if the day of the "hip young coach" has passed everyone by?? Or age 50 is the new 40!!?? :lol: I'd be glad to buy into that.

Top Bottom