Scrimmage today

Total Red

Staff member
Nice Saturday for a scrimmage. A few players sat out because we don't want them injured. I didn't see RB Cole Mueller or TE Cam Grandy unless they played in the 1st minutes before I got there. Scotty Presson had a chance to shine with Grandy not playing and he did with 2 TD catches. The first was a long one where he outran the secondary. That's what makes Presson special. A TE with decent speed and some moves too. He can get those YACs. We lost 2 TE's but we're in good shape. QB Annexstad note to self after scrimmage - "get #11 the damn ball!" #POSITIONRELOADED.

The RBs looked good. I don't know if Wright gained weight but he appears even stronger. He can move the pile and he's not fun to tackle.

What the offense needs now is a deep threat. Ideally someone fast/tall with great hands. Our returning leading receivers, (Sobkowicz/Carr) are threats but neither one quite fits that description. We need another receiver. I was hoping someone from the portal would show up, but it looks like that ain't happening. Camo Nelson looks to be the 3rd starter. He caught some balls today but nothing deep. Nelson has speed and potential. If he can stretch the defense, it would open things up. The offense is potent in other areas so the table is set for someone like Nelson to be a big play receiver.

Defensively you have to like DL Josh Dinga and the inside linebackers. Tye Niekamp is looking so good we may have to consider kicking him out to outside linebacker to get him on the field, but Niekamp has a great future inside as well. The secondary is deep at safety and not so much at the corners, but I was pleased with the intensity of the hitting by the DBs.

The OL injury bug of last season may not be completely behind us. Bussone sat out the scrimmage with an injury. Gudaitis took his place at 1st unit G.

Total Red

Staff member
also a true freshman DL looked good - Steven Curtis. In the old days he would be redshirted. In the transfer portal era, if he helps now, he plays now.

MadBird

Thanks for the report TR. If the weather is anything like Minnesota today, great day for a scrimmage. Beautiful sunshine and temps today.

You correctly point out the need for fast and tall at WR - Sobkowicz is listed at 6'3, big enough but not fast enough? Contreras from Valpo show anything? I am hoping RS FR David Connors from Minneapolis can help, 6'3, and ran track in HS. He show anything today?

3 weeks till KO!!

Dmills

Nice Saturday for a scrimmage. A few players sat out because we don't want them injured. I didn't see RB Cole Mueller or TE Cam Grandy unless they played in the 1st minutes before I got there. Scotty Presson had a chance to shine with Grandy not playing and he did with 2 TD catches. The first was a long one where he outran the secondary. That's what makes Presson special. A TE with decent speed and some moves too. He can get those YACs. We lost 2 TE's but we're in good shape. QB Annexstad note to self after scrimmage - "get #11 the damn ball!" #POSITIONRELOADED.

The RBs looked good. I don't know if Wright gained weight but he appears even stronger. He can move the pile and he's not fun to tackle.

What the offense needs now is a deep threat. Ideally someone fast/tall with great hands. Our returning leading receivers, (Sobkowicz/Carr) are threats but neither one quite fits that description. We need another receiver. I was hoping someone from the portal would show up, but it looks like that ain't happening. Camo Nelson looks to be the 3rd starter. He caught some balls today but nothing deep. Nelson has speed and potential. If he can stretch the defense, it would open things up. The offense is potent in other areas so the table is set for someone like Nelson to be a big play receiver.

Defensively you have to like DL Josh Dinga and the inside linebackers. Ty Niekamp is looking so good we may have to consider kicking him out to outside linebacker to get him on the field, but Niekamp has a great future inside as well. The secondary is deep at safety and not so much at the corners, but I was pleased with the intensity of the hitting by the DBs.

The OL injury bug of last season may not be completely behind us. Bussone sat out the scrimmage with an injury. Gudaitis took his place at 1st unit G.
Mueller did sit out per Coach Peterson.

Total Red

Staff member
Thanks for the report TR. If the weather is anything like Minnesota today, great day for a scrimmage. Beautiful sunshine and temps today.

You correctly point out the need for fast and tall at WR - Sobkowicz is listed at 6'3, big enough but not fast enough? Contreras from Valpo show anything? I am hoping RS FR David Connors from Minneapolis can help, 6'3, and ran track in HS. He show anything today?

3 weeks till KO!!
Sobkowicz has had trouble getting separation. He and Annexstad made the most of it last season by mastering the back shoulder throw and catch. Sobkowicz did make a catch for a TD today when the corner whiffed on a tackle and he strolled in.
I didn't see Contreras today. I too have been waiting for Connors to make a move, but I haven't seen it yet and I'm fairly certain he dropped a ball today.
btw Eddie Kasper is getting a hard look. He could spell Carr in the slot or play out wide. Kasper isn't big but he has the speed and the hands.

Virginia Redbird

Thanks for the update TR! Be glad you are not in SE Virginia today. 92 degrees for a high but with the heat index over 100 degrees. It is offset of course by the stifling humidity! Well, come January we will be in the 30-40 degree range and a big snow is maybe an inch...maybe.

Lets hope the O-line is just a little banged up and the injuries that killed them last year do not make a repeat. Nice to hear the passing game is looking good. I am hoping for significant improvement on the offensive side of the ball this season. Not much longer to wait now to see how it comes together.

I have heard a few comments about Annexstad but nothing about the backup QBs. They probably don't get a lot of reps but how are the backups looking?

Total Red

Staff member
I have heard a few comments about Annexstad but nothing about the backup QBs. They probably don't get a lot of reps but how are the backups looking?
Rittenhouse is solid at #2. Sometimes he makes a throw on the run and you think he's a P5 starting QB. Other times not so much. When Annexstad got injured last year Rittenhouse got thrown into it as a RS-freshman with a banged up O-Line and subpar receiver group. He's getting better and he'll challenge for the job in '24. Here's Randy's take.

Manchester Matt

Thanks for the update TR! Be glad you are not in SE Virginia today. 92 degrees for a high but with the heat index over 100 degrees. It is offset of course by the stifling humidity! Well, come January we will be in the 30-40 degree range and a big snow is maybe an inch...maybe.

Lets hope the O-line is just a little banged up and the injuries that killed them last year do not make a repeat. Nice to hear the passing game is looking good. I am hoping for significant improvement on the offensive side of the ball this season. Not much longer to wait now to see how it comes together.

I think Tommy threw for 189 yards today. Good day for the top two signal callers.

Top Bottom