Scrimmage highlights

Total Red

Staff member
This wasn't your typical defense dominates preseason scrimmage. The offense moved the ball and put it in the end zone. QB Jefferson came out like a ball on fire with better accuracy and consistency on his throws than I have ever seen. The other QBs looked good too but for most of the scrimmage they looked like they were losing ground to Jefferson. Waring made some good throws but I really like the way he moves around in the pocket. He has exceptional pocket presence, he's hard to sack, and he can take off and run or throw under pressure. Morris and Dorsey looked good too. As the scrimmage wore on the defense stiffened and they took advantage of some offensive miscues. Jefferson had 2 int's and one bobbled snap. The first int was on target but it needed to be thrown just a little more in a straight line (no arc) with just a little more velocity. Nice pick by Iverson Brown. The 2nd int was a pass that shouldn't have been thrown. The defense had too much time to react.

At RB Pha'leak Brown was nursing an injury. Nigel White got the start and he ran hard. Looks like Kevin Brown, Cole Mueller and Rashard Lampkin are competing to be the #3 back. Kevin Brown always looks good when I see him. Nice burst, nice moves. If Mueller is a power back he'll need to get even bigger.

The long awaited arrival of WR Micah Jones was a brief one but he looked good for the time he played. He does play like a TE. One of our smaller DB's bounced off when he tried to bring him down.

Defensively, Isbell is a big play guy. When you mention a player as a match up problem you normally think of an offensive player but Isbell is a match up problem on defense. He's too athletic for big guys to block and too strong for little guys to block. I saw some guys down on the depth chart that are knocking on the door and walking (bursting) through. As near as I can tell Fehrmann is the 3rd team Jack linebacker. That would put him behind Simon and Jackson. That position is loaded. Fehrmann has to get some PT. All the linebacker spots are well stocked. Campos is a backup linebacker with definite 1st team ability. Jordan can push Vandenburgh at strong side linebacker and that's saying something. The D-front has the necessary depth, Dinga is no longer a surprise, he's real. If you're serious about keeping the D-Line fresh then rotate Sobkowicz in. He's too good for the 3's.

The lowlight of the scrimmage was C Drew Bones being helped off the field with a lower leg injury. The O-Line already had to be shuffled with OT Asche sitting out. But even with the revamped front line the offense scored points. That's a good thing.

Birdswin

The biggest issue I see is the offensive line. Our QBs were scrambling constantly - several times the DE was getting near the QB before he even completed his drop back steps. How many times did our RBs get hit either behind or right at the line of scrimmage?? The O-Line was moving no one. Way to many "matadors" - yes, they are very big guys - but how about moving someone. What I saw several times - the Tackles were playing to hit a DE at the place where he was at the snap (as if the DE would be stationary), instead of where the DE would be after taking a step or two - burned time and time again.

As for QB - Waring looked the best to me. In the two-minute drill - while in FG range - Jefferson threw a terrible interception - cannot do that. He threw across the field at an angle - ball was in the air a long time. He was around the hash marks on the left side of the field and three to the right side front corner of the end zone, double coverage. The DB made an easy pick.

As for Waring - what I liked a lot - he kept his eyes downfield while scrambling and good decisions. He engineered the long drives. I also thought Morris showed promise and made a number of good plays. Although shorter than the others, he moved the ball.

Virginia Redbird

I don't think we will know very much until the first couple of games but interesting to read the different observations. It sounds as if the O-line is a bit banged up and if the O-line is not solid there will be issues regardless of who is at QB. I have never seen Waring play but it would not bother me a bit if he ends up the starter. Whoever makes the offense go is who I want behind center. If that is Jefferson, fine. If it is someone else, that is fine too. Looking forward to seeing the team play on opening day!

Total Red

Staff member
For years we've been bucking for more TE involvement in the passing game. Well Taula led the team in receptions in the spring season and the scrimmage yesterday included 7 TE receptions by (Lewis 3, Deming 2 and Taula 2) for 94 yards and 3 TD's!
It's the Golden Age of Tight End receiving. How long will it last? Maybe as long as the TE's Coach is the Co-Offensive Coord and play caller.

TE's Spaulding and Charles also had catches.

Last edited:

MadBird

Interesting to sort through the observations posted here and the reports in the Pantagraph and ISU website. Birdswin said the OL looked a little spotty, but all other reports are the O carried the day. I'm sure it's somewhere in between.

Jefferson seems to have a tendency to toss up those cross-field turkeys that get picked off. Gotta get that squared away.

Nice to see Jeremiah Jordan from Madison show up on D. Gotta believe he'll up us at some point, maybe sooner rather than later.

Scrimmages are hard to judge. But seems good to know the offense moved the ball some. Hopefully it's not a reflection on our D!!

Anything from freshman RB Sean Allen? I'm not unhappy with the current group, just curious. He was hyped last year in HS, but Homewood-Flossmoor didn't really have a great spring.

Total Red

Staff member
Jefferson seems to have a tendency to toss up those cross-field turkeys that get picked off. Gotta get that squared away.

Anything from freshman RB Sean Allen? I'm not unhappy with the current group, just curious. He was hyped last year in HS, but Homewood-Flossmoor didn't really have a great spring.
I'm fairly certain that Sean Allen was in there for a carry or two but those were rather nondescript. We've got 8 RB's on the roster. They have different styles but most of them are very close in ability. The two true freshmen, Wenkers Wright and Sean Allen, will have to work hard to climb over the more veteran running backs. That's not to say we won't see them in an undecided game this season.

You can find an old post on this site (Nov, 2018) #7 to #1.
That post discusses a walk-on, freshman running back - Kevin Brown, who is still on the team. At various times during that season there were 6 other running backs that would be considered ahead of him on the depth chart. But one by one they became unavailable or undesirable, so late in the last game of the season the Redbird inserted the freshman walk-on. Youngstown St. led that game at Hancock 28-21 but K. Brown scored two 4th Q TD's and the Redbirds prevailed 35-28.

btw the Cross-field Turkeys are playing at a bar over by Mackinaw this Thursday night. I may go over and check them out.

fourthandshort

For years we've been bucking for more TE involvement in the passing game. Well Taula led the team in receptions in the spring season and the scrimmage yesterday included 7 TE receptions (3 Lewis, 2 Deming and 2 Taula) for 94 yards and 3 TD's!
It's the Golden Age of Tight End receiving. How long will it last? Maybe as long as the TE's Coach is the Co-Offensive Coord and play caller.

TE Brett Spaulding caught a pass too.
Encouraging to hear about our TEs of late ... maybe Spack began to realize TE does not stand for Tackle Eligible???

redbirdfan04

My intial thoughts were Waring would be the starter this year. Jefferson continues to make really bad mistakes. Throwing that ball across the field which then was picked in the scrimmage is exactly what he needed to stop doing. Then again the backup always looks better when the starter does anything wrong. I hope Jeffereson figures it out and does well because if a change is made it is probably because we are 1-4 or 0-5 and the season is over anyways. I don't see a change being made earlier but that is just a guess.

Top Bottom