Schertz looks to be Gone!

Seven

The Indiana St board is wild. Schertz's brother signed up before the coach officially announced and the exchanges did not go well. The thread is 70 pages of people losing their minds.

Birdfriend72

The Indiana St board is wild. Schertz's brother signed up before the coach officially announced and the exchanges did not go well. The thread is 70 pages of people losing their minds.
I bet. That would be a tough blow.

Dmills

Indiana State fans need to chill. Support the new regime and keep investing in your program. The fanbase has so much power right now if they would just use the resources to elevate their program instead of being pissed at Schertz

Birdswin

SLU already said there is announcement tomorrow (Saturday) with a press conference on Monday. Schertz's agent signed that the agreement with SLU - Before the NIT even started. It included a $4 million buyout - to keep other schools away or pay dearly. It worked on Louisville.

Reggie Redbird

Jank didn’t get as far in the NIT, but he had a pretty good tenure over a few more years. Folks were ticked he left for a much better financial deal. I believe Dallas was an area where his wife wanted to live too. He took Nic Moore with him. We’ve been in a similar boat.

Looking at Schertz. He’s taking a job at 2-3x the pay of the top of what InSU could have paid him and over double the highest paid MVC coach. That’s an extra $6-8-10 million over the course of his contract. If he fails at SLU, he is set for life and can pick a mid-major job or P5 asst job making good money. If he wins at SLU, a team paying $4…5…6+ million comes. Maybe that’s Indiana.

Hamdonger

Jank didn’t get as far in the NIT, but he had a pretty good tenure over a few more years. Folks were ticked he left for a much better financial deal. I believe Dallas was an area where his wife wanted to live too. He took Nic Moore with him. We’ve been in a similar boat.

Looking at Schertz. He’s taking a job at 2-3x the pay of the top of what InSU could have paid him and over double the highest paid MVC coach. That’s an extra $6-8-10 million over the course of his contract. If he fails at SLU, he is set for life and can pick a mid-major job or P5 asst job making good money. If he wins at SLU, a team paying $4…5…6+ million comes. Maybe that’s Indiana.
It's a no-brainer move that he's worked a long time for...and I wish him well. I hope Indiana State can stay competitive...we need it in The Valley. Of course, the Redbirds being competitive would certainly be nice.

Redbird222

We have talked about all of the turnover with the players but here is another driver ... the coaches. We have 60 new D1 coaches or 17% this year. We may get to 20% depending on who fulfills the current open positions.

Arkansas -
Bryant - Phil Martelli, Jr.
Cal Poly - Mike DeGeorge
Canisius -
Central Arkansas - John Shulman
Charlotte - Aaron Fearne
Charleston - Chris Mack
Charleston Southern - Saah Nimley
Coastal Carolina - Justin Gray
Cornell - Jon Jaques
DePaul - Chris Holtmann
Detroit Mercy - Mark Montgomery
Drake - Ben McCollum
Duquesne - Dru Joyce III
Eastern Washington -
Fairfield - Chris Casey
Florida A&M -
Florida Atlantic - John Jakus
Fresno State -
Gardner-Webb - Jeremy Luther
Hampton - Ivan Thomas
Houston Christian - Craig Doty
Indiana State -
IU Indiana - Paul Corsaro
James Madison - Preston Spradlin
Long Beach State - Chris Acker
Louisville - Pat Kelsey
Loyola (MD) - Josh Loeffler
Marshall - Cornelius Jackson
Mercer - Ryan Ridder
Michigan - Dusty May
Missouri State - Cuonzo Martin
Morehead State - Jonathan Mattox
Ohio State - Jake Diebler
Oklahoma State - Steve Lutz
Old Dominion - Mike Jones
Pacific - David Smart
Pepperdine - Ed Schilling
Rice - Rob Lanier
Saint Louis - Josh Schertz
Siena - Gerry McNamara
SMU - Andy Enfield
Southern Cal - Eric Musselman
Southern Illinois - Scott Nagy
Stanford - Kyle Smith
UIC - Rob Ehsan
USC Upstate - Marty Richter
UT Martin - Jeremy Shulman
UTRGV - Kahil Fennell
UTSA - Austin Claunch
Utah State - Jarrod Calhoun
Vanderbilt - Mark Byington
Washington - Danny Sprinkle
Washington State - David Riley
West Virginia - Darian DeVries
Western Carolina - Tim Craft
Western Kentucky - Hank Plona
William & Mary - Brian Earl
Wright State - Clint Sargent
Youngstown State - Ethan Faulkner

Hamdonger

We have talked about all of the turnover with the players but here is another driver ... the coaches. We have 60 new D1 coaches or 17% this year. We may get to 20% depending on who fulfills the current open positions.

Arkansas -
Bryant - Phil Martelli, Jr.
Cal Poly - Mike DeGeorge
Canisius -
Central Arkansas - John Shulman
Charlotte - Aaron Fearne
Charleston - Chris Mack
Charleston Southern - Saah Nimley
Coastal Carolina - Justin Gray
Cornell - Jon Jaques
DePaul - Chris Holtmann
Detroit Mercy - Mark Montgomery
Drake - Ben McCollum
Duquesne - Dru Joyce III
Eastern Washington -
Fairfield - Chris Casey
Florida A&M -
Florida Atlantic - John Jakus
Fresno State -
Gardner-Webb - Jeremy Luther
Hampton - Ivan Thomas
Houston Christian - Craig Doty
Indiana State -
IU Indiana - Paul Corsaro
James Madison - Preston Spradlin
Long Beach State - Chris Acker
Louisville - Pat Kelsey
Loyola (MD) - Josh Loeffler
Marshall - Cornelius Jackson
Mercer - Ryan Ridder
Michigan - Dusty May
Missouri State - Cuonzo Martin
Morehead State - Jonathan Mattox
Ohio State - Jake Diebler
Oklahoma State - Steve Lutz
Old Dominion - Mike Jones
Pacific - David Smart
Pepperdine - Ed Schilling
Rice - Rob Lanier
Saint Louis - Josh Schertz
Siena - Gerry McNamara
SMU - Andy Enfield
Southern Cal - Eric Musselman
Southern Illinois - Scott Nagy
Stanford - Kyle Smith
UIC - Rob Ehsan
USC Upstate - Marty Richter
UT Martin - Jeremy Shulman
UTRGV - Kahil Fennell
UTSA - Austin Claunch
Utah State - Jarrod Calhoun
Vanderbilt - Mark Byington
Washington - Danny Sprinkle
Washington State - David Riley
West Virginia - Darian DeVries
Western Carolina - Tim Craft
Western Kentucky - Hank Plona
William & Mary - Brian Earl
Wright State - Clint Sargent
Youngstown State - Ethan Faulkner
Any idea on a rough average annual coaching turnover %? I'm guessing last several yrs is higher...and I'm guessing it will continue to rise with the big program expectations of winning IMMEDIATELY given NIL Booster pressure and media contracts. The pressure to win is now enormous. Better make sure plenty of AA meetings are scheduled in mid major to high D1 circles. I'm only half joking.

Last edited:

Redbird60451

If Pedon delivers a run like Schertz did for InSU. I'd be happy as crap to see him get a job elsewhere at 6 or 7X his ISU salary. The question is can you find someone with the same fire to come in behind them and capitalize on all the press and keep the ball rolling. That's why I feel Drake won't miss a beat. They lost a winner, but they also hired a winner. I'd be more pissed that they missed out on hiring someone like McCollum. And really it's the fault of the InSU administration for not being ahead of something that was pretty much done 3 weeks ago.

Phantom

No surprise. Guy came into DI with an incredible DII resume, flipped Indy State in one season (66 wins, 2 postseasons, NIT runner-up in 3 years)...that will get anyone a big payday. For mid majors, it's a big game of musical chairs for players and coaches and you just have to hope you get the good ones when the music momentarily stops.

dpdoughbird06

If Pedon delivers a run like Schertz did for InSU. I'd be happy as crap to see him get a job elsewhere at 6 or 7X his ISU salary. The question is can you find someone with the same fire to come in behind them and capitalize on all the press and keep the ball rolling. That's why I feel Drake won't miss a beat. They lost a winner, but they also hired a winner. I'd be more pissed that they missed out on hiring someone like McCollum. And really it's the fault of the InSU administration for not being ahead of something that was pretty much done 3 weeks ago.
Give our ISU credit for getting ahead of their search when they pre-fired Muller in order to get a head start on landing Pedon. Based on where the game was at the time, he was the guy to get. Can he adapt to being a “system” coach where the players come and go every year? We’ll see, but in the moment we got our guy.

Of course, you’d always rather be the school losing the coaching moving up - and ideally landing a nice buyout if the AD writes a fair contract - rather than canning a coach and eating the final two years of a deal that didn’t work out.

gobirds85

This is a no brainer on his part. Now the question needs to be asked...who is he bringing with him?

The Valley has lost coaches from the best two teams this year. Indy St was a quick turnaround job, while Drake was dependent on the coach's son kicking butt for a few years. What happens in the Valley next season is anyone's guess because no one knows who's going to be wearing what uniform. We need to move up NOW. Hoping Pedon can ramp things up. Building a team at our level is no longer an option.

WIN. NOW.

Dmills

This is a no brainer on his part. Now the question needs to be asked...who is he bringing with him?

The Valley has lost coaches from the best two teams this year. Indy St was a quick turnaround job, while Drake was dependent on the coach's son kicking butt for a few years. What happens in the Valley next season is anyone's guess because no one knows who's going to be wearing what uniform. We need to move up NOW. Hoping Pedon can ramp things up. Building a team at our level is no longer an option.

WIN. NOW.
Disagree with attributing HC DeVries' success to his son. Yes, he is a great player and 2 time POTY. However, in the year before they added Tucker, they had Yesufu (6MOTY), Wilkins, Murphy, Hemphill (2nd team All-MVC, NOTY, All-Defensive), Penn (1st team All-MVC), Sturtz, and Brodie (All-Newcomer). They finished 2nd in the MVC at 26-5 (15-3) and earned the Valley's last at-large bid. You could argue that was HC DeVries best season.

gobirds85

Disagree with attributing HC DeVries' success to his son. Yes, he is a great player and 2 time POTY. However, in the year before they added Tucker, they had Yesufu (6MOTY), Wilkins, Murphy, Hemphill (2nd team All-MVC, NOTY, All-Defensive), Penn (1st team All-MVC), Sturtz, and Brodie (All-Newcomer). They finished 2nd in the MVC at 26-5 (15-3) and earned the Valley's last at-large bid. You could argue that was HC DeVries best season.

Yes, he had a bunch of help during the last few years, but at the end of the day, Tucker carried them thru this season and into the tourney. I would have loved to Yesufu, Wilkins, Hemphill, Penn, Sturtz and Brodie in a Redbird uni, if for only one season. It's pretty hard to discount what Tucker brought to the table.

Redbirdfan06

Give our ISU credit for getting ahead of their search when they pre-fired Muller in order to get a head start on landing Pedon. Based on where the game was at the time, he was the guy to get. Can he adapt to being a “system” coach where the players come and go every year? We’ll see, but in the moment we got our guy.

Of course, you’d always rather be the school losing the coaching moving up - and ideally landing a nice buyout if the AD writes a fair contract - rather than canning a coach and eating the final two years of a deal that didn’t work out.
Year 3 is pretty critical for Pedon and staff. If Martin, McCollom, and the new Indiana State coach are able to reload their rosters and be competitive in Year 1 while we are still a middle to lower of Valley team, then I am not sure we got the right guy.

Aggie

Year 3 is pretty critical for Pedon and staff. If Martin, McCollom, and the new Indiana State coach are able to reload their rosters and be competitive in Year 1 while we are still a middle to lower of Valley team, then I am not sure we got the right guy.
If he cannot get it done this year, then I believe he is not the guy for the new future. Building a culture and bringing in freshmen and developing is a roadmap probably for the past. Every year now is a rebuild/reload year. Now is probably more of a system, talent evaluation, and recruiting climate. Especially in the middle mid majors. Most players if they develop into something good will go get the 6 figure payout. One and done. Move up and out. This is the future. If the player spreads the money out over a couple years they can even lessen the tax implications. And yes if you play for a Florida team you have no state income tax. The angles are so much different now. Lastly, what did the Indiana State fans expect? Guy works his whole career to make a living and he gets a chance to cash in not just for him but for the future of his family and they are mad about it? Give 99% of them the same deal and they leave southwestern Indiana in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom