Roll Call for Redbirds @ Huskies

fourthandshort

I'm a maybe. Got a daytime commitment that makes for long day .. so still deciding.

MadBird

I'm very disappointed to miss this one, we'll be spending the "last weekend of summer" at the cabin, with the traditional Labor Day picnic and so forth. We will be making the drive down from Madison for the home opener tho!! Hopefully going for win #2.

Chi-bird

I’m in.....I had wanted to make last year’s game in Fort Collins, but the logistics are much easier this time.

B

BirdGrad2011

I’m 50/50. Prior commitment but only 20 mins from DeKalb so we’ll see.

Total Red

Staff member
We can add everybody that responded in the Group tickets vs. NIU thread. That number keeps growing. We should have a good turnout as this game checks a lot of boxes. We have fans that have wanted more athletic events in the Chicago area. It creates an easy travel day for them and it still isn't difficult to drive up from B/N.

We're playing a FBS school with a winning tradition. The Huskies have finished at or near the top of the MAC many times in recent years and they've been to a lot of bowl games including the Orange Bowl. It creates an interesting dynamic for the game. While both coaches are saying all the right things to show respect we know that there is an undercurrent that runs in a different direction. NIU fans act like they're the big brother patting little brother Illinois State on the head while allowing him to play ball with the big boys for awhile. Redbird coaches, players and fans don't accept any of this. It's true that we don't feel equal to NIU. Redbird Nation feels it has the better team and we're eager to prove it. There's going to be a Saturday night smackdown in the far west burbs - Be there.

Redbird28

My family of 3 will be in attendance thanks to the glorious work of [mention]Chi-bird[/mention] on putting together the group tickets. It'll be a long drive for us, but we'll be there ready to witness this FBS upset special.

So, tailgate? Anyone got any ideas on that whole deal? [mention]Cindy00[/mention] ???

gobirds85

I will be with 4-5 Redbird fans myself but that number could climb. Hoping the weather holds up.

Cindy00

I haven't done any pre-planning for this game. If someone wants to figure out where to tailgate and all the logistics we would probably join in.

Redbird28

Cindy00 said:
I haven't done any pre-planning for this game. If someone wants to figure out where to tailgate and all the logistics we would probably join in.

EB and Cara would love to see you guys. I figured worst case, if we can't figure out a tailgate spot or it's raining we could go to Fatty's. That's the bar and grill they do their Inside Huskie Football show at so I'd guess it'd be active on gameday.

MadBird

Total Red said:
We can add everybody that responded in the Group tickets vs. NIU thread. That number keeps growing. We should have a good turnout as this game checks a lot of boxes. We have fans that have wanted more athletic events in the Chicago area. It creates an easy travel day for them and it still isn't difficult to drive up from B/N.

We're playing a FBS school with a winning tradition. The Huskies have finished at or near the top of the MAC many times in recent years and they've been to a lot of bowl games including the Orange Bowl. It creates an interesting dynamic for the game. While both coaches are saying all the right things to show respect we know that there is an undercurrent that runs in a different direction. NIU fans act like they're the big brother patting little brother Illinois State on the head while allowing him to play ball with the big boys for awhile. Redbird coaches, players and fans don't accept any of this. It's true that we don't feel equal to NIU. Redbird Nation feels it has the better team and we're eager to prove it. There's going to be a Saturday night smackdown in the far west burbs - Be there.

Hey, and no one is mentioning payback for the stolen playbook game back in, well, when was that? It was Denver Johnson era, yes? Was it the last meeting, year 2000?

ISUBU

MadBird said:
Hey, and no one is mentioning payback for the stolen playbook game back in, well, when was that? It was Denver Johnson era, yes? Was it the last meeting, year 2000?
2nd game of Denver Johnson era. Ist game was against a division II school I think. Embarrassing is what it was.

Wanna know how long Kevin Glenn played in the CFL? That was his final Redbird season. He played every year since then up until this season. The NIU head coach was an underclassman running back in that game.

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
MadBird said:
2nd game of Denver Johnson era. Ist game was against a division II school I think. Embarrassing is what it was.

Wanna know how long Kevin Glenn played in the CFL? That was his final Redbird season. He played every year since then up until this season. The NIU head coach was an underclassman running back in that game.
NIU fans are still talking about the stolen playbook on their forum ... embarrassing, but still a classic. Would be better if it were a rival school though ... and even better if we were on the other side of it. :mrgreen:

TIMMY

Man that game sucked. Joe Novak was the NIU coach. He was just starting to turn that thing around. PJ Fleck was on that team. Best high school wide out I ever coached against. He's done pretty well for himself.

Reggie Redbird

I’ll be there with 10 others in our family and tailgating with 6 others. It should be a great game! We can’t pass up the opportunity to see us play an FBS game this close to home.

Birdswin

I have a group of 17 going. We will be tailgating in lot C2 - by the Convocation Center. Feel free to stop by!!!!

Jon99

Total Red said:

It’s what I have been saying... NIU fans look down on ISU because their football is FBS even though the rest of their school is garbage... realistically we don’t need to beat them to have a good season, they have more scholarships and a recruiting edge so they should beat us, but they lose to us in football and their fans will start jumping off cliffs..

TIMMY

Jon99 said:
Total Red said:

It’s what I have been saying... NIU fans look down on ISU because their football is FBS even though the rest of their school is garbage... realistically we don’t need to beat them to have a good season, they have more scholarships and a recruiting edge so they should beat us, but they lose to us in football and their fans will start jumping off cliffs..
Line those puppies up!
tumblr_n127v9GPFO1tsttdno1_500.gif

Top Bottom