Robinson Appreciation

Total Red

Staff member
I started the season as more of a Markel Smith fan than a James Robinson fan. It's a moot point really. They're both very good and they're both going to play but I've begun to appreciate what Robinson brings to the offense.

The 2nd half against South Dakota allowed Robinson to use his misdirection/change of direction skills. South Dakota knew we wanted to run and their LB'er and Safeties were moving up at the snap of the ball trying to anticipate the hole Robinson was going to hit. This did allow them to crush some running plays for little gain or even a loss but it comes with a risk. The compressed defense no longer had 3 levels. If Robinson gets good blocking he could break through with no one in the secondary in position to catch him and that's exactly what happened.

Robinson makes LB'ers and Safeties miss by taking a play a different direction. That allows the rushing game to utilize misdirection with a straight hand off. Robinson wears #25 and he's staring to play like Coprich, in fact he's ahead of Coprich at the same point of their careeers. Robinson has the burst and the ability to start towards one hole and then veer toward another like Coprich did.

Now we just him to play a complete game. AS DP pointed out Robinson needs to pick up blitzes and he needs to hang on to the football. There's plenty of room for improvement but there's no doubt about his ability to run the ball.

btw I'm still a fan of Smith. I admire his toughess. It often takes 2-3 defenders to bring him down or stop his forward progress. It goes back and fourth with those two so maybe the next game goes to Smith.

jbird

I didn't realize until recently that redshirt freshman Jordan Birch is 6'-1" and 235. He must be fast, because he is a regular as a kickoff return guy. With speed and that size, he should be a major complement among our stable of RBs.

fourthandshort

Like them both a lot. I'm guessing Markel Smith was banged up 2 weeks ago (or in doghouse) when he got just 4 carries.

Robinson has a little more speed and elusiveness, but still strong and good size at 215 lbs. Smith is complete beast at 225 lbs and can run well for his size. I'm guessing reps will depend on how each game is going, but USD run defense was giving up 90 yards per game and just 2.7 yards per carry. Our game, USD gave up 331 on 47 carries, for 7.0 yards per carry. Even take away Robinson's 87 yard run in Q4 .. we still got 244 yards on 48 carries for 5.3 yards per carry.

So we more than doubled USD run defense numbers even without the 87 yard run ... and their rund defense ranked 3rd right behind us.

Against YSU, with a little rain expected, and our run defense is definitely better than YSU .. we should be able to control the game in trenches .. both teams have suspect OLs .. but we'll if our OC and OL come with a strong game plan and execute it against YSU. If so we will get a lot of yards on ground ... because their run defense has beem average, ranking 7th in MVFC .. granted they have played very tough SOS. Their pass defense has been pretty tough, so have to respect that and the SOS they've played very competitively. But their banged up on offense, so their run offense might not be what it has been.

I look for big games from both Robinson and Smith this week. And another well managed/executed game from Kolbe. Kolbe was unsung hero last game .. had 4 drops, 3 very easy drops, 1 caused his only pick .. or he would have been 16 for 19. And made good pocket decisions to take pressure off OL.

MadBird

And as I like to point out about a lot of guys, J Rob is only a soph. We (some of we) expect these guys to walk in and be studs on day one. Takes some time. It was pointed out last year, he played at a pretty small school too, there would be some adjustment. He's getting better, learning what he has to do. Markel's got a little more experience, but he's also young. Both trending upward!

StLRedbird

Thanks, TR. I've learned quite a bit about this game from you over the years. Just the latest example of that...

Birdswin

I agree - excellent observations by TR - out RBs have talent and ability - still improving. By the same token - I think our play calling needs to improve to take better advantage of these talents, as they can be used to improve the passing game as well.

dpdoughbird06

MadBird said:
And as I like to point out about a lot of guys, J Rob is only a soph. We (some of we) expect these guys to walk in and be studs on day one. Takes some time. It was pointed out last year, he played at a pretty small school too, there would be some adjustment. He's getting better, learning what he has to do. Markel's got a little more experience, but he's also young. Both trending upward!

"Freshmen are...stupid."

~ Dan Muller speaking at my Rotary last week ~

He meant that they have to not just learn a system and get up to college speed, but also how to prepare their bodies for a game, how to eat, how to manage time, etc. - coaches basically have to teach them everything about being a college athlete on top of working on their athletic development. Obviously this applies to all sports. And that's why it's so impressive to see the rare true underclassmen dominate - especially in football, where red shirts/greyshirts are the norm to bulk up and learn a system.

JHBird

We are blessed to have both Smith and Robinson. I can't really tell which one is faster. If it's 4th and 1, I would probably give it to Smith, but Robinson is tough to bring down as well. I didn't think Robinson had the speed to break an 87 yarder, but I was wrong. Both are sophmores, and with the young O-line, I can only imagine how dominating our ground game will be in two years. I think it's already frightening other teams. Both RB's went over 100 yards yesterday and would of had even more if it hadn't been a blowout. Still can't believe we thumped YSU like we did. They probably can't either. To me this shows how great a Coach Brock is. He really righted the ship after the SIU disaster.