Redbirds at EIU

Total Red

Staff member
The mission is clear. Get the win, go to 2-1 in non-con portion of the schedule and hoist the trophy.
It will be good to get back to punching in our own weight class. HIT IT REDBIRDS!

redbirdfan04

Im going 38-10 Redbirds. If we lose I may need a redbird fan member to drive me to the hospital for a mental evaluation. hahaha!

jbird

I hope I'm proven wrong and the 'Birds crush the Panthers, but 14 points is a lot to lay on an FCS road game. I'm not yet sold on our offense. If I was just objectively betting this game (i.e., setting aside my loyaty to the 'Birds), I would probably take EIU and the points, but I have no idea if EIU is really bad this year.

Virginia Redbird

I don't predict scores but I am expecting a Redbird win. It is a rivalry game and crazy things can happen in those games but I think the Birds should win this game, maybe close in the first half and the Redbirds building a lead as the game goes along. If the Birds lose this game...this could be a long, long season.

fourthandshort

I think Redbirds win a close game, like 10 points or so. I'm just not ready to put money on the spread. We need to control the line of scrimmage in order to see what our offense and defense can do. Then we will have a better idea about our skill positions, what we need to work on from there.

MadBird

Trends go Redbirds' way - 3 wins in a row in Charleston, 5 wins in last 6 games. Spack 7-4 vs. EIU. EIU has lost its last 7 home openers (last win 57-24 vs. ISU).

I was reminded of another reason to dislike EIU -- Bears GM Ryan Pace is an alum!! ;)

You'd like to think, in a "normal" season, this is where the Birds get back on track somewhat. Put the WMU hose job behind them. Get straightened out before the MVFC season starts. I'm not sure this is a normal season, tho. EIU has lost on the road to InSU and Dayton. Gotta look at those and wonder.

It's hard for me to have too much confidence in our offense at this point, but you have to think it's gonna be better than last week. Prolly not as good as vs. Butler (altho EIU lost to Dayton from that conference). EIU's gonna come out hard to get a win.

I'll go Big Red 23 - Charleston State 13.

redbirds2000

I hope I'm proven wrong and the 'Birds crush the Panthers, but 14 points is a lot to lay on an FCS road game. I'm not yet sold on our offense. If I was just objectively betting this game (i.e., setting aside my loyaty to the 'Birds), I would probably take EIU and the points, but I have no idea if EIU is really bad this year.
Are you insinuating that EIU is a tough place to play?

Redbird28

I talked to someone who works at EIU last night and he said they are just really young, and didn't seem too optimistic about their chances.

fourthandshort

EIU outplayed ISUb statistically when they lined up at LOS, though lost.

We have dominated them since 2016 upset right after we beat Northwestern.

i would assume they will show up playing with attitude of nothing to lose. I can see this as frustrating close win or blow out .. but until i see more, close win .. like a 10 point game in Q4.

Hope im wrong.

redbirdfan04

I think we will know after the first drive what to expect. I have confidence in the defense but can our oline produce. Make blocks, change assignments at the line, not turn one mistake into multiple. If our oline struggles Saturday win or lose the season will never progress.

Total Red

Staff member
can our oline produce.
Yes

The O-Line will need to produce but we can't lay it all on them. We're going to face the equivalent of a basketball full court press from opponents until and unless we make them pay by going vertical. To accomplish that we'll need better blocking. The receivers will need to do a better job of getting separation or they need to beat defenders to the ball while covered. The QB needs to a better job of delivering the ball. The entire offensive unit needs to step up. I think it will happen, I don't Eastern has corners as good as WMU.

I said the same thing when we played Eastern in 2018. We had finished the 2017 season with 3 straight losses due to a weak passing attack. The rushing attack was stout with James Robinson and Markel Smith but defenses were stacking the box and challenging the Redbirds to beat them over the top.
In the 2018 game QB Brady Davis and the Redbird offense were more than equal to the task. WR Andrew Edgar started things off with a 42-yard TD reception. Spencer Schnell followed with 97-yard and a 33-yard TD receptions. It was 31-0 at the half with a 48-10 final. That's not a prediction, but it is something to shoot for.

And just to repeat -

can our oline produce? - Yes

Total Red

Staff member
If Asche is not ready to go at OT, then I look for Zambrano to step in. Z may already be our best option, and even if he isn't, he has the highest ceiling so we might as well put him on the fast track. We have more guards than tackles. We keep trying Evan Day at tackle but he's really a guard. A glimpse of the future is Zambrano and Asche at OT with Bussone, Day and Mueller a the guards.

Tomorrow we'll lean on the veterans - Georgie, Anderson, Bones. Lots of experience here.

Dmills

If Asche is not ready to go at OT, then I look for Zambrano to step in. Z may already be our best option, and even if he isn't, he has the highest ceiling so we might as well put him on the fast track. We have more guards than tackles. We keep trying Evan Day at tackle but he's really a guard. A glimpse of the future is Zambrano and Asche at OT with Bussone, Day and Mueller a the guards.

Tomorrow we'll lean on the veterans - Georgie, Anderson, Bones. Lots of experience here.

I'm pretty certain Asche is going to be out. Hope to see good things out of Zambrano!

Dmills

Just noticed this today (came out on Wednesday). Still waiting to find out about 2022, but will probably be on September 17, it is the only mutual opening that I noticed.

Virginia Redbird

Yes

The O-Line will need to produce but we can't lay it all on them. We're going to face the equivalent of a basketball full court press from opponents until and unless we make them pay by going vertical. To accomplish that we'll need better blocking. The receivers will need to do a better job of getting separation or they need to beat defenders to the ball while covered. The QB needs to a better job of delivering the ball. The entire offensive unit needs to step up. I think it will happen, I don't Eastern has corners as good as WMU.

I said the same thing when we played Eastern in 2018. We had finished the 2017 season with 3 straight losses due to a weak passing attack. The rushing attack was stout with James Robinson and Markel Smith but defenses were stacking the box and challenging the Redbirds to beat them over the top.
In the 2018 game QB Brady Davis and the Redbird offense were more than equal to the task. WR Andrew Edgar started things off with a 42-yard TD reception. Spencer Schnell followed with 97-yard and a 33-yard TD receptions. It was 31-0 at the half with a 48-10 final. That's not a prediction, but it is something to shoot for.

And just to repeat -

The offense needs to step up BIG TIME! But I think you forgot the possibly most important part of this...the offensive coaching staff which experience-wise would have to reach to be considered mediocre. This is just not an impressive staff on that side of the ball. Outside of Etheridge, who needs to get his hogs in gear, the rest have pretty thin resumes. I hope the offense shows some life today. EIU is a young team and physically the Birds should be able to play with them. They really could not match the physicality of the WMU lines last week. Particularly the Redbird O-Line.

Top Bottom