Redbirds at EIU 9/16

BEAT THE BISON

It's going to be a warm sunny day, bring the sunscreen!!!! Going with EIU friends and sitting in the home side wearing the Redbird Colors!!!! Section F. But I Made this point before, the visitor viewing is terrible, the field has a wide Track around it, and the ISU seats go up only 10 rows high, everyone is siting in those top rows, its hard to see the game from their, most high schools have better visitor area............ Predict Redbirds 24 Panthers 7

DaveBird10

ThisIsTheLineup said:
Who is all making the trek to Chuckton for the game Saturday? Where are you sitting? Tailgating?
I will be at EIU with a friend of mine and we are sitting on the isu side. Where we are tailgating idk but we do plan tailgating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reggie Redbird

I would forecast the crowd to be a little lighter than in past years because ISU is hosting the kickoff to its next capital campaign at Redbird Arena. I wouldn't be surprised if that chopped down 100 fans who would normally go to that game based on donors and university employees who would normally make the trip.

Redbird78

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
This is a joke there is no live video broadcast.

Looks like it might be on the OVC digital network (similar to ESPN3).

http://www.ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Live=5721&sport=4&type=Live

ChiRedbirdfan

Chi-bird said:
I think we struggle to score in this one, but we win. 20-17

Is the EIU defense suppose to be good this year or what is your concern with ISU scoring...offensive line?

fourthandshort

last season, EIU defense ranked between 45 and 55 in FCS (depending on which source you like) while going 6-5 in OVC against roughly 50th ranked SOS. According to Keeper site, defensively they lost 4.3 of 11 starters and 44% of tackles. So they were an average defense against a very average SOS. Their only chance is that they mix things up and get our OL on their heels.

But other poster pint may be that this game is like Bears-Packers .. it rarely matters how much better we are ever year (except 2013) .. it is usually a close ugly game with something unusual about it. Even in 2014, we won easily due to forced turnovers against this same QB (Kentucky transfer) ... but it was statistically close game, even though we were way better.

Last year, we completely outplayed them and lost by 3:

- total yards 443 to 263
- 1st downs 25 to 15
- yards per play 6.1 to 3.8

2 turnovers on our own 33 and 17 gave them 10 points. Had 3 TOs to their 0. Kolbe got injured on vicious sack though can back into game .. would miss 1st half of InSU game.

Per Keeper site, here is EIU lost defense:

Team Total DL LB DB Tackles
EIU 41% 28% 51% 44% 4.3

Here is EIU lost offense:

Opp RUSH PASS QB RB WR OL Lost
EIU 185 220 0% 77% 65% 24% 4.8

So best guess is their defense will be average, and their offense will be below average. Their QB is solid. If we play our game defensively, we will rattle him. They loss most of their skill position production at RB and WR.

Massey has us winning on road by 11, which I think is minimum. But it may not be pretty and could take us all 4 quarters before we pull away.

ChiRedbirdfan

If this game is like the "Bears vs Packers" I hope the Redbirds are the Packers as the Packers have won 37 to the Bears 15 during the past 25 years. Plus Packers have a good chance to get another two this year.

According to the data and polls it looks like ISU should handle EIU even on the road. I would like to see ISU live up to expectations and take control.
Prediction:
ISU 17 EIU 3 at the half
ISU 31 EIU 10 Final

Watson

ISU handles EIU with a solid fight but, EIU withers in the 4th. EIU for some reason plays "up" for the ISU game but year in year out they are not on par with ISU.

OVCnetwork, is free. For those with streaming capabilities (Roku is much preferred device) this is a free app. So long as one has at least 25 Mgbit download it will be seamless, otherwise it may buffer. Picture quality is as good as regular T.V.

Sorry, I watch all of ESPN3 stuff and other apps on my regular HD tv. I didn't mean to infer that one needed a Roku, obviously there is no need for a streaming device if one wants to watch it on their laptop.

Redbirds18

Watson said:
ISU handles EIU with a solid fight but, EIU withers in the 4th. EIU for some reason plays "up" for the ISU game but year in year out they are not on par with ISU.

OVCnetwork, is free. For those with streaming capabilities (Roku is much preferred device) this is a free app. So long as one has at least 25 Mgbit download. Otherwise it will buffer. Picture quality is as good as regular T.V.

Sorry, I watch all of ESPN3 stuff and other apps on my regular HD tv. There is no need for a streaming device if one wants to watch it on their laptop.

Thanks for the info Watson. Do you know if they offer replays of the game after it has concluded on the OVCnetwork?

Watson

Redbirds18, I do not know if it is archived. That is an excellent question. It wasn't that many years ago that we couldn't get all the Valley games on ESPN3. Now I feel inconvenienced or irritated when we play at other leagues that don't have the ESPN contract. ESPN is fantastic for allowing the viewer to pull up anything that was aired or streamed live under ESPN umbrella. Usuallly that content is available for viewing for a week.

I will check out the OVC network later this evening when I'm home.

Redbird28

Redbirds18 said:
Watson said:

OVCnetwork, is free. For those with streaming capabilities (Roku is much preferred device) this is a free app. So long as one has at least 25 Mgbit download. Otherwise it will buffer. Picture quality is as good as regular T.V.

Sorry, I watch all of ESPN3 stuff and other apps on my regular HD tv. There is no need for a streaming device if one wants to watch it on their laptop.

Thanks for the info Watson. Do you know if they offer replays of the game after it has concluded on the OVCnetwork?

I just jumped on there and it looks like the Central Arkansas v Murray St. game from 9/9 is still available for viewing on there on the On Demand tab.

Total Red

Staff member
I'm looking forward to the trip to Charleston this weekend. It's been a great rivalry and the Panthers can never be taken lightly.

I think the two teams should consider changing the marketing of this game. Instead of calling it the Mid-America Classic maybe they should call it the Craft Beer Bowl. That's the trend these days isn't it? You have a friend or co-worker that tells you about an obscure and exotic craft brewery that only they and a few enlightened others know about.

That's the way I feel about this series. I've seen a lot of great games with great players like NFL QB's Romo and Garapollo for Eastern. Illinois State has featured players like Cam Meredith and James O'Shaun and the NFL's newest star Shelby Harris. I got to see all of that NFL-caliber talent at a fraction of the cost you would to pay to see them now.

Should I care that most of the College Football world isn't aware of any of this and wouldn't know good College Football if it bit them on the butt? I don't. Give me my Craft Beer Bowl. Game On.

Watson

S0rry for delay, I hate Mother Goose Club. It appears that OVC "archives" their games for a limited time. I have not tried this. Please don't come and hurt me if I'm wrong.

Watson

OVC: Digital Network

http://ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Live=5716&type=Live

Chi-bird

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Chi-bird said:
I think we struggle to score in this one, but we win. 20-17

Is the EIU defense suppose to be good this year or what is your concern with ISU scoring...offensive line?

I don't believe our offense is where it needs to be in order for us to feel good about winning on the road now. I think we have a steady quarterback, and a stable of quality running backs, but the line is young and we don't have great receivers. Gibbs is a darn good one, but as a unit, I'd say the receiving corp is deep, but a little lacking in playmaking. With our defense being as good as it is, and our O-line as green as they are....I assume we are going to take on a very conservative approach on offense in terms of play calling.

I think that as the year progresses, we will not only be a better offense, but I think the playcalling will be more dynamic.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
If this game is like the "Bears vs Packers" I hope the Redbirds are the Packers as the Packers have won 37 to the Bears 15 during the past 25 years. Plus Packers have a good chance to get another two this year.

According to the data and polls it looks like ISU should handle EIU even on the road. I would like to see ISU live up to expectations and take control.
Prediction:
ISU 17 EIU 3 at the half
ISU 31 EIU 10 Final

i probably revealed my age there .. I guess I was mainly referring to the Ditka era (1982-92)

JHBird

fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

Prediction:
ISU 17 EIU 3 at the half
ISU 31 EIU 10 Final

i probably revealed my age there .. I guess I was mainly referring to the Ditka era (1982-92)

No you didn't. On this board you're still a 'Freshman' like the rest of us.
:D