Rebranding

birdlife

Saluki's set to unveil a new look later this week.

could SIU have the worst set of logo's over the history of the MVC? some of those were really, really bad. (granted, it's probably pretty difficult to make a Saluki look tough)

https://twitter.com/SIUSalukis/status/1100047771845816320

Birdman07

polish the turd. Youre about to be a satellite campus playing in D2 within 20 years.

bb fan

I thought the current Saluki dog was a very weak design. The typeface is ok, but the dog looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

CaliRdBrd

Birdman07 said:
polish the turd. Youre about to be a satellite campus playing in D2 within 20 years.

Probably in our best interest if they get back to being competitive, rather than going the other direction (D2).

Birdman07

CaliRdBrd said:
Birdman07 said:

Probably in our best interest if they get back to being competitive, rather than going the other direction (D2).

I really don't see that happening. They have lost 45% of enrollement and are in a lot of debt. Their medical programs are transfering to Edwardsville essentially making Edwardsville the main campus. Siu-c will be a fledging satellite campus of a directional school in the middle of nowhere that is millions in debt. They need a miracle.

ChiRedbirdfan

Birdman07 said:
CaliRdBrd said:
Birdman07 said:

I really don't see that happening. They have lost 45% of enrollement and are in a lot of debt. Their medical programs are transfering to Edwardsville essentially making Edwardsville the main campus. Siu-c will be a fledging satellite campus of a directional school in the middle of nowhere that is millions in debt. They need a miracle.
. Where you getting this information?

TIMMY

Not moving any time soon if ever.
https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/forget-moving-siu-school-of-medicine-to-edwardsville-administrators-say/article_20d6c724-4e4c-5907-9c95-c3fb236392ad.html

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that's not true. Med students come to Carbondale in Year 1, go to Springfield for Year 2 and then fan out across the state for 3 and 4 in whatever specialty they are interested in.

Birdman07

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20180506/siu-system-faces-potential-split-as-campuses-argue-over-funds

This one just talks about proposed legislation to split the campuses and shuffle around academic programs. Doesn't specifically say medicals in this one so the search continues.

Birdman07

The proposal was rejected but reintroduced since Edwardsville has now taken over Carbondale in enrollment.

Birdman07

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/forget-moving-siu-school-of-medicine-to-edwardsville-administrators-say/article_20d6c724-4e4c-5907-9c95-c3fb236392ad.amp.html

This is one that talks about giving the medical school to Edwardsville but not the original one I read.

Birdman07

isuquinndog said:
Yeah that's not true. Med students come to Carbondale in Year 1, go to Springfield for Year 2 and then fan out across the state for 3 and 4 in whatever specialty they are interested in.

Will it happen? I don't know. But, don't call me a flat out liar. Thank you in advance. See above. Another program will also train some completely in Carbondale and not going to other places. I can post that too if you want.

Birdman07

Looks like the med split is less likely now. But, with enrollment now in favor of Edwardsville and continuing in that direction and carbondales debt i wouldn't be surprised if it eventually goes that way.

Birdman07

Speaking specifically regarding sports

https://dailyegyptian.com/79417/sports/siu-athletics-running-on-cumulative-deficit-of-26-million/

Birdman07

You have to remember if these enrollment numbers keep going the way they are with Edwardsville now the leader and already having nursing, dental, and pharmacy then this battle the proposal faces might become true. And, it might not. a year ago when these article were written Carbondale was still the leader and therefore siu-e denied the money they requested. I bet they get it now.

Birdman07

I stick by my statement. In the next 20 years siu-c will be a fledging satellite campus of a directional school in the middle of nowhere without their medical schools and in debt (or completely independent).

Writing is on the wall. Might not happen this time around but this is the third proposal. By round six it will happen especially if the enrollment gap widens in favor of Edwardsville which seems likely to happen.

cpacmel

Birdman07 said:
Their medical programs are transfering to Edwardsville essentially making Edwardsville the main campus.

So this is happening? When? :text-link:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you're right. Southern is a system though, SIUC runs SIUE. They share a president, board of trustees (or whatever theirs is called). So it will be tough. I think it will take the legislature to break them up.

SIUC is (or was, not sure if it's failed) to build a law center in Springfield as well.

Birdman07

Yes law center from what I've read is staying St siu-c even if their is a split. I don't how there couldn't be in the next 10 years if Edwardsville is up to 17.5 and Carbondale is down to 10. And, in that likely scenario given the current enrollement pace the proposal to give medicals to Edwardsville makes sense in that Edwardsville already has nursing, dental, and pharmacy. Who knows if it will happen but a split is pretty much a sure thing because Edwardsville won't stand for getting 40% of the money if they're almost twice the size in 10 years.

Top Bottom