Question for football guys…

gobirds85

This has been driving me crazy and I have not been able to get an answer from any of my buddies. Here’s my question…why do offenses run plays to the short side of the field so many times? To me, it makes no sense. The field is compressed so one would think the defense has an easier job at making the stop. What am I missing?

Birdswin

I have often wondered that too - about going to the short side. Several football coaches gave several explanations:
1. A lot of teams put their best defensive players to the wide side - thus go away from the defensive strength.
2. Teams tend to run plays more to one side of the field because of the strength on one side of the O-Line - thus, that is the direction of those plays and they end up on the short side.
3. Some coaches inherently call plays that are to their side of the field - so they can see it better.

Birgs

I have often wondered that too - about going to the short side. Several football coaches gave several explanations:
1. A lot of teams put their best defensive players to the wide side - thus go away from the defensive strength.
2. Teams tend to run plays more to one side of the field because of the strength on one side of the O-Line - thus, that is the direction of those plays and they end up on the short side.
3. Some coaches inherently call plays that are to their side of the field - so they can see it better.
Also, on the short side of the field, the O-Line inherently SHOULD have an (albeit it seemingly minuscule) head-start knowing the snap count; whereas (broad-brush painting here) some exterior defensive linemen and backers may tend to have better quick-twitch reaction or closing abilities over a larger (again relative to the short side) closing area...

...or not.

gobirds85

Also, on the short side of the field, the O-Line inherently SHOULD have an (albeit it seemingly minuscule) head-start knowing the snap count; whereas (broad-brush painting here) some exterior defensive linemen and backers may tend to have better quick-twitch reaction or closing abilities over a larger (again relative to the short side) closing area...

...or not.

Sounds reasonable.

Top Bottom