Power 5 closer to shutting out everyone

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe this hasn't been posted.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20164007/alabama-crimson-tide-coach-nick-saban-envisions-changes-college-football-playoff

fourthandshort

Nick Saban is a Wus !!!

eh .. not sure that one holds as much water as my buddy Barry being a Wus .. because Barry Alvarez is still a Wus.

On serious note, Saban is making a different argument than Barry. Hence, Barry is still a Wus.

fourthandshort

But I think the notion that a college that bands together with a bunch of other colleges to tell the NCAA how they want to be governed is utter BS. The greed behind the whole notion of the P5 breaking away from NCAA is ridiculous when you boil it down to fact that we are talking about college sports, not professional sports. .. and their argument is mainly so they can make more money. The college game is nothing without the college campus they play on and benefit entirely from. And they have no right to change this fact just because they make a bunch of money and now want to make even more and no be held to rules of all other colleges.

Take these exact same teams and coaches off the college campus, and go form your own minor league or semi-pro league somwhere else and call your selves the P-5 and pay all your players .. you will fail or whither on the vine .. just like all the other attempts. Point being ... it is a a college game .. leave it the hell alone. Work to fix the NCAA issues if needed. But leave the college game alone . let the student athletes be student athletes. Most of them will not play in NFL.. It will turn into an even worse pressure cooker, the more you allow money to drive decisions. It is a college game . period. They should have no right to break away from NCAA to make their own rules just so they can make more money.

ISUBU

fourthandshort said:
But I think the notion that a college that bands together with a bunch of other colleges to tell the NCAA how they want to be governed is utter BS.

Don't disagree with the sentiment, but colleges banding together to manage their sports programs is the definition of the NCAA.

This type of threatened separation broke up the old network game of the week deal in college football. It used to be that teams were on national TV only a limited number of times each season. That's how ISU played a national network game of the week thirty years ago. Anyway, a group of big football programs threatened to leave, the NCAA dropped the restrictions, and thirty years later the conferences are printing money with their cable networks.

I just don't see how you can stop it if they gain the public's support. They have the major bucks, if the TV money wants them to only play themselves, about the only recourse would be antitrust laws. And the politicians have their hands in those deep pockets.

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
I don't see how r scheduling up makes you a wuz. That's just me.

timmy.. i was kidding about Saban ... he clearly just wants level playing field of more tough games.

But I am genuinely convinced Barry is just afraid of tough FCS games .. he claimed FCS games makes Big 10 less competitive .. even though every other conference does same thing for most part.

So I think Saban's argument is different from Alvarez's.

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
fourthandshort said:
But I think the notion that a college that bands together with a bunch of other colleges to tell the NCAA how they want to be governed is utter BS.

Don't disagree with the sentiment, but colleges banding together to manage their sports programs is the definition of the NCAA.

This type of threatened separation broke up the old network game of the week deal in college football. It used to be that teams were on national TV only a limited number of times each season. That's how ISU played a national network game of the week thirty years ago. Anyway, a group of big football programs threatened to leave, the NCAA dropped the restrictions, and thirty years later the conferences are printing money with their cable networks.

I just don't see how you can stop it if they gain the public's support. They have the major bucks, if the TV money wants them to only play themselves, about the only recourse would be antitrust laws. And the politicians have their hands in those deep pockets.

I don't know enough about the inner working of NCAA, but clearly both sides are motivated largely by money and power .. which is ruining the "intercollegiate" aspect of college sports in my opinion. If P5 is doing this for leverage to make NCAA better, than I applaud them ... but I don't think that is their motivation.

I do realize there is little that can be done to stop it .. except for maybe a congressional act. If P5 gets what all it wants, the problems with college sports will only get worse. And watch what happens with recruiting as a result .. you will see more and more shenanigans, including 8th graders and HS freshman, and underperforming/injured commits/players being forced out .... by coaches desperate to win and keep their jobs/salary .. a very bad thing to be clear.

Pie in the sky, I know. But P5 seems to be wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

TIMMY

I worked with Alvarez for about 15 years on the Wisc. Coaches Assoc. Clinic (I know, you're happy for me).
He's a hell of a football guy. In fact in a lot of ways he reminds me of Spack.

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
I worked with Alvarez for about 15 years on the Wisc. Coaches Assoc. Clinic (I know, you're happy for me).
He's a hell of a football guy. In fact in a lot of ways he reminds me of Spack.

no doubt he's proven himself as both HC and now as AD .. I completely respect what he's done with their football program. But that doesn't change my opinion on this issue .. granted, if I wasn't an ISU fan, I wouldn't care nearly as much, even though I would still think these FCS games are win-win proposition. I've singled him out for his role in getting all Big 10 to stop these games .. I wouldn't have cared if only Wisconsin stopped playing them.

ISU_DirtyBird

If they do go this route I'd like to see them do away with the 5 conferences and do a realignment of maybe into more of a divisional split like the NFL does with the same type of scheduling. Do away with the regional scheduling and create more opportunities to really create some unique match-ups we haven't seen in this generation.

cubird

As CTE concerns grow..less kids playing football may end up killing the golden goose and pot of gold the P5 enjoy! A generation from now...Robots

fourthandshort

cubird said:
As CTE concerns grow..less kids playing football may end up killing the golden goose and pot of gold the P5 enjoy! A generation from now...Robots ... and Madden 2050 being played on PS12s.

FIFY

cubird

Damn! Added some internet slang to my scrabble vocabulary. Who said Redbird posters aren't informed :ugeek

Top Bottom