Portal Guys We Should Consider

Bird Friend

Put anyone you think the Birds should be contacting here. This should be guys the Birds haven’t contacted, or haven’t started following.

Adunk33

Staff member
FWIW, It's going to get really sloppy if we have a thread for every kid we've contacted in the Portal. Slay's recruiting philosophy seems to be to cast a wide net and make as much contact as possible. Might be worth using this thread as a catch all, until we formally offer the kid?

MadBird

Another guy from UW-Green Bay, kind of interesting. Rich Byhre, 6'8 240 lbs from Waukesha, WI. Started for them this year, was a transfer from DII Rockhurst where he was All-American, with pretty nice stats. Looking for a place to have more "impact" and a better system fit. Oh, and 40% from three.

Article in Green Bay paper says he visited Drake and NIU before transferring to UW-GB last year.

Last edited:

Bird Friend

FWIW, It's going to get really sloppy if we have a thread for every kid we've contacted in the Portal. Slay's recruiting philosophy seems to be to cast a wide net and make as much contact as possible. Might be worth using this thread as a catch all, until we formally offer the kid?
Makes sense, but that’s up to posters . . .

Baltimore Bird

That is a great article. I know Pedon cannot name names, etc. I hope the conversations with a few of the players were very frank and pointed.
We really need to have at least 3 Portal additions. I don't believe running it back with the same crew, plus 2 freshman and 1 portal player minus Lewis will make us better. We had some fortunate wins (at Indiana State, at Mo State, at Murray State) this year and some unfortunate losses (Valpo 2, UIC at home). I think they somewhat balanced themselves out. The unbalanced schedule also helped us too. We only played UNI and In State once and they were both top 4 teams. That likely will not happen in 2025. Coach is right. We need shooters! One is not enough.

Hamdonger

I concur with all...this was a big league article. Great job kid!!

For the 3 things Ryan is looking for...which I love...we've got a long way to go.

SgtHulka

That’s a good article Sarge - thanks. I tend to forget about the fine reporting at the Vidette.
The articles are just as good and as timely as the Pantagraph without the oops you've read 3 obituaries this month, No Sports For You! They do a bang up job reporting and interviewing

redbirdron1

I believes Pedon’s style is initially to sit a guy down and say, “ we must recruit over you cause we need more scoring from your position. In all likelihood you’ll be planted at the far end of the bench and get about 3.5 minutes per month.”

In his world that means time to drive on while he hasn’t been a Bad Guy and forced em out.

He’s big on relationships and therefore can look the kid in the eye years down the road knowing he didn’t force the guy out in an ignorant fashion.

This is just my guess.

TIMMY

Pedon's job is at stake. He lost to Valpo twice and Evansville twice. He's got a talent deficit and no way to change that without some scholarship players moving on. If they can't come to that conclusion on their own he needs to do it for them. It happens all the time.

Or he can be a DePaul assistant in a couple of years.

cubird

At a minimum we need a real stretch 4 that can shoot the 3 and go down low if necessary. Yes another shooter please. Can Lieb and Davis improve offensively? The second half of the season Davis showed he could defend multiple positions and his shot improved until he broke his thumb.

Bdub777

At a minimum we need a real stretch 4 that can shoot the 3 and go down low if necessary. Yes another shooter please. Can Lieb and Davis improve offensively? The second half of the season Davis showed he could defend multiple positions and his shot improved until he broke his thumb.
I don’t see much opportunity for Lieb. If he stays, i predict he’s next year’s Ryan Schmitt. That’s a scholarship we need.

Top Bottom