Pedon Gets Bigger Props from Me

gobirds85

If he wants to get in a real dirt race car, he needs to get in a sprint car. The speed is light years faster than a late model. With that being said, it's great to see he likes short track dirt racing. He just needs to take the fenders off.

Phantom

Tony Stewart is trying to put a dent in that with the Eldora Million and other big $$$ events. I know Farmer City used to be on the WoO calendar, but I don't think they race there anymore.
Be great to see more WoO events at Joliet too. At least they kept the dirt track and dragstrip going while the Cup track imploded and is now growing weeds. Speaking of Stewart, Joliet would be a perfect track (along with Grundy County Speedway in Morris) to host an SRX race, one of the coolest series' going. Just sucks its only 6 races a year.

gobirds85

Be great to see more WoO events at Joliet too. At least they kept the dirt track and dragstrip going while the Cup track imploded and is now growing weeds. Speaking of Stewart, Joliet would be a perfect track (along with Grundy County Speedway in Morris) to host an SRX race, one of the coolest series' going. Just sucks its only 6 races a year.

I raced a midget at Grundy Cty in the early 2000s. After I got out I still owned a car with two other guys (one guy was a Redbird). We had a great driver but the cost of being competitive became insane. Rising costs decimated pavement midget racing.

I would love to have more WoO shows in the area. Maybe even a High Limits show on a week night.

Both Joliet and Grundy Cty would make great tracks for that series. They could run at each track in successive nights. That would be very cool.

MadBird

I raced a midget at Grundy Cty in the early 2000s. After I got out I still owned a car with two other guys (one guy was a Redbird). We had a great driver but the cost of being competitive became insane. Rising costs decimated pavement midget racing.

I would love to have more WoO shows in the area. Maybe even a High Limits show on a week night.

Both Joliet and Grundy Cty would make great tracks for that series. They could run at each track in successive nights. That would be very cool.
WOO isn't likely to run paved Grundy County. There is a good paved track winged sprint outfit out of Michigan that has come to Madison International Speedway which would be good for Grundy, and in fact this year USAC Silver Crown ran up here. Not sure why WOO didn't have many Illinois shows this year - think they used to run at LaSalle (shut down now), maybe Tri-City in Granite City? And way way back in the day at Springfield Speedway, long gone now. Haven't been to a sprint show in quite a while, I've lost my "mojo".

gobirds85

WOO isn't likely to run paved Grundy County. There is a good paved track winged sprint outfit out of Michigan that has come to Madison International Speedway which would be good for Grundy, and in fact this year USAC Silver Crown ran up here. Not sure why WOO didn't have many Illinois shows this year - think they used to run at LaSalle (shut down now), maybe Tri-City in Granite City? And way way back in the day at Springfield Speedway, long gone now. Haven't been to a sprint show in quite a while, I've lost my "mojo".

I meant that Tony Stewart’s All Star stock car series could run at Joliet and Grundy. The WoO are exclusively dirt. The promoter who booked a lot of WoO shows in Illinois passed away a year or two ago, so that might have something to do with the drop off in shows, that and the cost of a WoO show which continues to climb making it harder to turn a profit.

Phantom

Wow 85, small world. I built and worked on stock cars at Grundy for about 10 years in the early 2000s. Was on 2 late model, a street stock and sportsman championship teams. Got too time consuming and expensive lol. All the guys have retired but one of the guys I helped out also ran midgets and still does, along with his late model. He's actually like a 7-time Illini Racing Series champion. We call him the Ken Schrader of Grundy. Dude races everything lol.

And yea, SRX could run Grundy but if they had a choice they'd probably run the dirt oval at 66.

gobirds85

Wow 85, small world. I built and worked on stock cars at Grundy for about 10 years in the early 2000s. Was on 2 late model, a street stock and sportsman championship teams. Got too time consuming and expensive lol. All the guys have retired but one of the guys I helped out also ran midgets and still does, along with his late model. He's actually like a 7-time Illini Racing Series champion. We call him the Ken Schrader of Grundy. Dude races everything lol.

And yea, SRX could run Grundy but if they had a choice they'd probably run the dirt oval at 66.

Phantom, who is the driver you are talking about? I should know him.

redbirds2000

Okay, Coach Pedon gets higher marks from MadBird. Based on this story shared on FB, he appears to be a dirt track racing fan. Go Coach!!

The gentleman to coach's right is a Redbird Alum and helping get NIL off the ground.

SgtHulka

I raced a midget at Grundy Cty in the early 2000s.
Struggling GIF by bypuk

gobirds85

I was waiting for you to chime in.

For those unfamiliar with open wheel racing, a midget race car is a short open wheel based race car powered by a 4 cylinder motor. Very fast and very expensive…and sometimes, very fun.

gobirds85

Scott Koerner

I vaguely remember him. I raced with Doug Orseske, Joe Knippel, Sue Spencer, Danny Drangmueller and others in 2001-2002. I got out of the car and handed it over to a friend for a season, then I sold the car and bought David Gough's Hawk chassis. Josh Lane drove the car for us for two years and then we went over to the ASA Midwest Late Model Series for a year and then we pulled the plug.

Currently, my son (a Redbird) races a Shifter kart in the CES series. He has been out for the last year with a broken wrist that didn't want to heal up correctly, but now he is ready to get back in next Saturday at Blackhawk Farms. Hoping the wrist holds up.

Phantom

He drove one of Sue's cars for awhile back in the day. Forgot who owns his now. He has is own late model too that he's been racing for 20+ years. I played softball with Jimmy Anderson for a few years in those days too. He was always trying to convert me from the "taxi cabs" as he called them haha. Did 3 Super Late Model seasons with Brett Sontag where he won two of his four titles. Some CRA, ARCA and ASA Midwest races too with him and Ricky Baker. Small world for sure lol

gobirds85

He drove one of Sue's cars for awhile back in the day. Forgot who owns his now. He has is own late model too that he's been racing for 20+ years. I played softball with Jimmy Anderson for a few years in those days too. He was always trying to convert me from the "taxi cabs" as he called them haha. Did 3 Super Late Model seasons with Brett Sontag where he won two of his four titles. Some CRA, ARCA and ASA Midwest races too with him and Ricky Baker. Small world for sure lol

Jimmy Anderson was one the nicest guys in the pits. Not everyone was as welcoming but he was. Heck, you and I were probably in the pits somewhere at the same time. Small world indeed.

Hamdonger

Cool sidebar going here! When I was a teen we used to run over to Spoon River Speedway and watch a gearhead cousin run Late Model. Spent many Sat nights over there and it probably kept me out of some trouble! I had a fantasy or two of running 3-wide on the turns going sideways! (even though only room for 2)

gobirds85

Cool sidebar going here! When I was a teen we used to run over to Spoon River Speedway and watch a gearhead cousin run Late Model. Spent many Sat nights over there and it probably kept me out of some trouble! I had a fantasy or two of running 3-wide on the turns going sideways! (even though only room for 2)

My year is broken up into three seasons. Racing, then we slide into football and end up in college bball. By the time March Madness finishes off, it’s time to get back in the garage and the year (not by the calendar) starts all over again.

MadBird

My hat's off to you guys, I've spent many days in the stands at one type of racing or another. Props to all who turn the wheel or the wrench.

Spent a lot of time at Grundy over the years. I must admit, midget racing is not at the top of my list, but not because I don't enjoy it and don't appreciate it. Just have others higher.

Yesterday went to IMSA racing at Road America. Have always loved that track and road racing in general and had my camping button on my hat yesterday from 1976. So have been going there for quite a while.

Top Bottom