Paige Robinson Selected in Third Round of WNBA Draft by Dallas Wings

Hamdonger

WHOA!

Obviously, Paige is a really good player. I looked hard at this a few weeks ago and figured she would not get drafted...as there are only 36 players taken in 3 total rounds. This is a tremendous accomplishment.

The likelihood of Paige making a WNBA roster this year is not high. I believe the stat is somewhere less then 10% of draft picks (most are 1st rounders) make a roster in their first year because there are so many veteran players...and with only 12 teams, spots are hard to come by.

However, getting selected gives her a lot of street cred. This is a huge accomplishment for Paige! We were lucky to to have her! CONGRATULATIONS PAIGE!!!!

Last edited:

Hamdonger

Again, WHAT an accomplishment!!! Here's the deal, though. She has not made the league. She'll get a contract for training camp, which is right around the corner, and from there it'll be decided. The press release is a bit too ambitious. I'm picky with this because professional releases, from professionals who work for our university, need to be accurate.

Redbird60451

Again, WHAT an accomplishment!!! Here's the deal, though. She has not made the league. She'll get a contract for training camp, which is right around the corner, and from there it'll be decided. The press release is a bit too ambitious. I'm picky with this because professional releases, from professionals who work for our university, need to be accurate.
I totally get it. But now as you present your university to perspective young ladies looking to play in College, you can say. We get girls drafted. Can Illinois say that this year? Can any MVC school say that this year? There's only 36 picks, so this staff thought highly enough of you to make sure you were at their camp. It can only help achieve the greater goal for our WBB program. Also it shows the coach can sell the program, even if it was for 1 year.

The Wings had 5 picks in this draft. Total roster turn over. It should be an open competition with a new coach and different style of play there. It would be great to have representation.

Bird Friend

Interesting thing about Dallas’ draft night. They had five picks out of 36 total. They picked 3rd, 5th, and 11th in round one. They also traded for the rights to the 4th pick from the Mystics. Add in the 19th and 31st picks for a total of 6 out of 36.

Four of those six picks, including Paige, were for players who transferred up to play their final season . . . and excelled at the higher level. Dallas talked about these players’ ability to make the transition to a higher level so easily.

Key for Paige is they’re giving her a shot. Odds are long, sure. But you don’t make rosters you’re not given a chance to make. Plus she gets practice and workout time with professional players, coaches, and trainers. That’s got to help if she wants to play professionally overseas.

Hamdonger

Interesting thing about Dallas’ draft night. They had five picks out of 36 total. They picked 3rd, 5th, and 11th in round one. They also traded for the rights to the 4th pick from the Mystics. Add in the 19th and 31st picks for a total of 6 out of 36.

Four of those six picks, including Paige, were for players who transferred up to play their final season . . . and excelled at the higher level. Dallas talked about these players’ ability to make the transition to a higher level so easily.

Key for Paige is they’re giving her a shot. Odds are long, sure. But you don’t make rosters you’re not given a chance to make. Plus she gets practice and workout time with professional players, coaches, and trainers. That’s got to help if she wants to play professionally overseas.
Great post Birdie. If she makes a squad, the Redbirdfan forum is road-trippin', my peeps.

My goodness what an exciting day it must have been for Paige!!

Top Bottom