Open Letter from a 2014 Dad to the Team of 2017

redbirddad10

I'm a dad of a player from the 2014 Team, I just watched the first installment of this seasons "The Next Step". During the episode Coach Spack says:"They picked you Fifth!?!?" in reference to MVC Coaches poll that picked the Birds 5th in the Conference. As Coach points out, the 2014 Team was picked fifth in the MVC Pre Season poll too. It made me reflect on the 2014 Team and what a Special Team looks like from the perspective of a former Athlete, Coach, Fan, Dad? What made the 2014 Team special from my perspective and why I see a lot of the same things in this Team.

As a former College Athlete, when all is said and done your left with the satisfaction of doing your best or the regret of not taking advantage of opportunities you've been given. Do your job to the best of your ability, whatever it is. Then you get to live with more satisfaction and less regret. Regardless of the outcome, I don't think too many people would say the 2014 Team left much on the field. They left it all on the field and can be proud of that Season and the first trip for ISU to the FCS Championship game.

As a Coach, I will tell you, this is the your Team. You get to play for maybe four college teams. Look at the guys in the Locker Room and realize those are the only Teammates you are ever going to have. I know you are all competitive young men, a room full of competitive young men usually has strife. That's OK, work it out. Remember all you have is each other. No one is coming to save your Team, make your teammates better, make you better! You will determine the 2017 Teams fate.

As a Fan, the one thing I noticed that impressed me was every time the 2014 team talked to the media they had each others back. At first it sounded like the players were just saying things Players are taught to say to the media. But I remember after a home game, a few games into the Season, listening to the post game Interviews and thinking; "These guys really mean it!" I heard the respect they had for their teammates as well as the recognition of "This is Our Team.These are my Teammates, I'VE GOT TO DO ALL I CAN TO MAKE THIS TEAM BETTER!"

I knew a lot of players on that 2014 team. Lots of guys sacrificed for the season to be successful. I knew players who didn't play as much as they thought they should. I knew players who changed position Senior Year to help the team. I know players who put Pro Careers on the line and played with major injuries to make the team successful. I knew some players knew they had to step up and play bigger roles then they ever had before. I'm sure guys weren't happy from time to time. I'm sure there were guys who didn't get it. There always are. But most did get it and it showed.

I have followed a lot of the Seniors and Upperclassmen on this Team. You have the same feel. All I can say is "Ride or Die, my friends", this team is all you've got and all your ever going to have.

Lastly, I want to say to each of you as a Dad, whether your Dad has been part of your life or hasn't, whether he tells you he's proud of you or just can't seem to say the right thing, I can tell you; he's proud of you. You should be proud of what you have accomplished. Your playing for a great program and been part of putting ISU Football on the map. You play in the toughest Conference in FCS. No one can take that from you.

So, 2017 Team, the question is what are you going to do? Are you walking away soaked in satisfaction or coated with regret? Best of luck, we are rooting for you. Go Birds!

Source

You're right. Every single player left everything on that field in '14. One sticks out more than the rest, and that is James O'Shaughnessy. Everyone has to remember the kickoff after Tre's score. James was on the kickoff team, and laid out the Bizon returner, knocking himself out of the game. James was not letting that dude go passed him for anything, which is a testament to why he is still on an NFL roster. Talent can take you far, but heart, determination, and grit are all things that teams cannot overlook. Incredible player from an incredible team.

I hope our team has a Shag this year. Every championship team needs one.

fourthandshort

great post RBDad10 .. would only like to add following point.

My opinion is that the character of the 2014 team was built on the backs of the 5-6 2013 team. I've said this before ... that team started so badly, particularly on defense. But by mid-season, it had regained respectability. We were later struggling offensively under former OL coach Barnett ... we became too predictable on offense and things got worse the better teams got to know us thru scouting.

So after 2013, we get new OC Beathard and then transfer QB Roberson showed up in June. But Roberson did not win the job until last week of August camp. But many of us knew we had something special brewing beginning in spring, before Roberson even transferred. And it was the very same 2013 team less number of seniors. QB Winkler was having a very good spring under new OC Beathard, but eventually lost job to Roberson.

As t happens, 2016 was also a down year (6-5) with a lot of inconsistency early and improvement later in season. Struggle is good sometimes .. prepares you to deal with adversity. Agree with RBDad10 .. this team has a certain character developing. Only question is OL development. or we would be talking top 5 to 8 team right now again .. like 2014. I think we can get there with this group. Time will tell ... thinking we'll know by mid-October when SOS starts to ramp.

But it does have similar feel right now .. just not as sure as I was in August 2014 ... yet.