One Scholarship Left

Adunk33

Staff member
There are various mentions throughout some threads about what to do with the final scholarship. Figured it would be easier to have it all in one place.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/ex-wichita-state-point-guard-to-join-isu-men-s/article_1f0b5997-1def-55a8-9778-8ef741e07dfb.html

“We don't really need anyone else eligible to play right now,” Muller said. “We're actively looking for someone who will redshirt or transfers to redshirt. It could be late (in the summer) or a mid-year guy if we held on to it. We have a lot of flexibility with that.”

To me, this tells us that Muller is as confident as you can be about Torres being eligible for next year.

I think we've moved on from Greenlee. We are still interested in Mitchell but he doesn't want to Redshirt. I'm thinking the final scholarship goes to a sit out D1 transfer. Kind of the same situation as when Banyard committed in mid-June.

DannyCooksey

Adunk33 said:
There are various mentions throughout some threads about what to do with the final scholarship. Figured it would be easier to have it all in one place.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/ex-wichita-state-point-guard-to-join-isu-men-s/article_1f0b5997-1def-55a8-9778-8ef741e07dfb.html

“We don't really need anyone else eligible to play right now,” Muller said. “We're actively looking for someone who will redshirt or transfers to redshirt. It could be late (in the summer) or a mid-year guy if we held on to it. We have a lot of flexibility with that.”

To me, this tells us that Muller is as confident as you can be about Torres being eligible for next year.

I think we've moved on from Greenlee. We are still interested in Mitchell but he doesn't want to Redshirt. I'm thinking the final scholarship goes to a sit out D1 transfer. Kind of the same situation as when Banyard committed in mid-June.

I don't agree with his statement "we don't need anyone else eligible to play right now".

Bird Friend

DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

I don't agree with his statement "we don't need anyone else eligible to play right now".

And this is probably why Dan's willing to take a guy okay wearing the RS . . . the shirt can come off, if needed. I kinda wonder if a guy like Urbancic would be willing to sit out, learn the system, and be the sniper in training . . .

ILSTUGRAD11

DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

Ya why would we want to create competition at positions when we have a team full of unproven guys? Seems like we may have promised PT to guys which I don’t like. PT should be earned. Also, history tells us we will have 2-3 guys in walking boots so maybe don’t throw away a scholarship for next season so quickly?

I am fine with giving it to a transfer but don’t jump to that when you have uncommitted guys like Mitchell out there that could potentially contribute next year.

DannyCooksey

ILSTUGRAD11 said:
DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

Ya why would we want to create competition at positions when we have a team full of unproven guys? Seems like we may have promised PT to guys which I don’t like. PT should be earned. Also, history tells us we will have 2-3 guys in walking boots so maybe don’t throw away a scholarship for next season so quickly?

I am fine with giving it to a transfer but don’t jump to that when you have uncommitted guys like Mitchell out there that could potentially contribute next year.

100%. He's leaving the roster short intentionally well before the annual Walking Boot Invitational hits in October. He just doesn't learn from past mistakes.

Redbird222

Take the best player ... Freshman, JUCO, or transfer. I personally wouldn't mind more depth at bigs or deadly 3 point shooter.

Redbird60451

I understand the feeling after last season, use the scholarship on someone in the here and now. I also get the feeling of pocketing it for next year, as you do not want to give anyone currently on the roster the idea they are being recruited over, which just puts you in the problem of losing depth, which is what your trying to avoid. I would lean toward a guy who's going to be here for 4 year (or at least that potential) and a complete player, not a specialty guy like specifically an outside shooter. Also not going to be a guy who's using us as a year till he moves on to something better.

As much as I hate saying a player like Hein, but someone with the similar bleed Red syndrome (what Hein should have been but because of injury and people leaving all the time wasn't). You know, who does all the garbage work, willing to set the screens, take the charge, willing to do the role asked of him and let the better players absorb the spotlight. Someone who's going to ultimately be your leader on the practice squad and make the starters better during practice because he does the little things right, and then our human victory cigar that we cheer for because we are up by 20 and we want him to hit a basket. You may think this is a waste of a scholarship, but in my opinion a guy or two like this is what the 11/12th player should be. If we already have that guy on the roster, I don't see him. Or at least we aren't talking like there's a guy like this on the roster currently.

HT59

Redbird60451 said:
I understand the feeling after last season, use the scholarship on someone in the here and now. I also get the feeling of pocketing it for next year, as you do not want to give anyone currently on the roster the idea they are being recruited over, which just puts you in the problem of losing depth, which is what your trying to avoid. I would lean toward a guy who's going to be here for 4 year (or at least that potential) and a complete player, not a specialty guy like specifically an outside shooter. Also not going to be a guy who's using us as a year till he moves on to something better.

As much as I hate saying a player like Hein, but someone with the similar bleed Red syndrome (what Hein should have been but because of injury and people leaving all the time wasn't). You know, who does all the garbage work, willing to set the screens, take the charge, willing to do the role asked of him and let the better players absorb the spotlight. Someone who's going to ultimately be your leader on the practice squad and make the starters better during practice because he does the little things right, and then our human victory cigar that we cheer for because we are up by 20 and we want him to hit a basket. You may think this is a waste of a scholarship, but in my opinion a guy or two like this is what the 11/12th player should be. If we already have that guy on the roster, I don't see him. Or at least we aren't talking like there's a guy like this on the roster currently.

;)

ChiRedbirdfan

DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

:text-+1: can never have too much depth

V Boy

DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

Yes. Duh. We definitely need another guard. Muller’s overconfidence in his roster might be his greatest weakness.

Reggie Redbird

DannyCooksey said:
100%. He's leaving the roster short intentionally well before the annual Walking Boot Invitational hits in October. He just doesn't learn from past mistakes.

It would be nice to have more post depth. If Torres is eligible, which I can’t see him being signed if the NCAA didn’t signal a likeliness to grant the waiver, then we don’t need to focus on PG. The problem is trying to find someone at this point who could make a difference.

We have less of a depth problem now though starting with 14 eligible players. If we’re dipping below 10 in October as you mention or after, we have much bigger problems than we did last year when we sat out about 1/3 of the roster.

I do have to ask if you would advocate not signing KF, JH, or DB in order to have had more depth last year. If so, who would you not have signed? Considering we have 0 guys sitting out for next year and may have 1 versus 2-3 or more in past years, are you happier than in years’ past with the depth of our roster?

BTbird

My guess is that DM isn't expecting any of our higher priority recruits to sign with us this year so he is going to hold on to it and not sign a recruit that may never contribute over the next 4 years just for the sake of having more depth next year. Also, These decisions aren't made in a vacuum so if you are going to criticize, it seems Jones, Belcher and Reese also are deserving of it.

ISU FAN 1

If the right player is available, use the scholarship. Otherwise, save it. Talent, not a mere body, represents depth.

Retire 12

Pocketing the scholarship if we don't land someone that's a very high priority might also be happening due to our new assistant having "ins" where we didn't before. There may be a couple 2020's now on our radar that Muller is looking long term for here, instead of just throwing a body on the bench for a couple years.

I'm all for filling the roster if we can due to recent history, but coach turnover may be playing a part here too.

PurpleRedbird

Retire 12 said:
Pocketing the scholarship if we don't land someone that's a very high priority might also be happening due to our new assistant having "ins" where we didn't before. There may be a couple 2020's now on our radar that Muller is looking long term for here, instead of just throwing a body on the bench for a couple years.

I'm all for filling the roster if we can due to recent history, but coach turnover may be playing a part here too.

Exactly what I think. We have 2 new coaches with new recruiting ties. I'm all for leaving it open so we have 4 open for next year (Torres, ZC, Hillsman). I do fully expect Torres to get a waver to play next year. He ticks a lot of the boxes for what the NCAA looks for in providing a waver. No way we sign him if Dan wasn't pretty sure he was going to be able to play.

ChiRedbirdfan

“Pocketing “ a scholarship is a bit is a stretch phrase as in a technical sense as you either use it or lose it as the schollie does not carry over. I know we tend to think that a high school player offered and accepting a scholarship is a four year propisition as coaches want to honor the commitment. The reality of today’s basketball game could not be further from the truth with players routinely transferring at their own desires and coaches routinely forcing players to transfer. I have heard that as many as half of the 700 to 800 ncaa d 1 basketball transfers are likely forced transfers. Forced transfers meaning coaches telling specific players that they no longer see thy player being a part of the team’s future and that the player at best will being seeing little or no playing time in the future. Hence “the player decides” to transfer to some other university in hope of playing time. I have been told by some close to Charles Mathews that he was forced to transfer and that is why “ he decided” to leave KY and transfer to Michigan. So Dan can offer all scholarships for any given year and always create room for a select recruit should he find someone he really wants for following year. He just needs to let someone know they will no longer be getting p.t. Harsh stuff but the reality of todays’s game. Pocketing a scholarship at this time of the year, unless the coach plans on using it mid season for a transfer, is a scholarship forever lost.

TIMMY

If you can fill the remaining scholarship with a kid who will make a significant contribution in the next couple years sign him. If not let it slide until you find someone who will.

Adunk33

Staff member
Adunk33 said:

Big surprise. Greenlee to Minnesota.