OL Megginson tranferring in from Illinois

GratefulRed

Former UofI OL confirmed he is tranferring to Illinois State. Has two years of eligibility.

​Megginson was rated the No. 122 overall player in the national rankings of Scout.com out of high school.

He was the consensus top-rated offensive lineman in Illinois' class of 2015. Scout.com listed Megginson as the No. 12 offensive lineman in the nation and Rivals.com ranked him at No. 18 among linemen.

DaveBird10

This was the lineman I wanted. Big time get for Spack and company aa this should help the o-line out a ton. Welcome aboard Gabe, you made the correct choice. Now let's go get a d-tackle and a reciever or 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JHBird

GratefulRed said:
Former UofI OL confirmed he is tranferring to Illinois State. Has two years of eligibility.

​Megginson was rated the No. 122 overall player in the national rankings of Scout.com out of high school.

He was the consensus top-rated offensive lineman in Illinois' class of 2015. Scout.com listed Megginson as the No. 12 offensive lineman in the nation and Rivals.com ranked him at No. 18 among linemen.

Awesome! I didn't know he had two years left as well, so even better. Looks like he started some games for UofI at both tackle and guard, but more at guard. Wonder where they will slot him in here? I figure Drew Himmelman is set at left tackle since he made the all MVC newbie team, and will only be a sophmore. So maybe RT for Megginson? I'm not sure where we have the biggest hole on the O-line.

cpacmel

Really good get! Especially when we don’t have an OL coach currently on staff.

fourthandshort

Man, we have a ton of young OL who have seen action .. only notable loss is Helt. But adding Megginson to mix should really bolster the that group nicely .. especially getting him for spring ball.

Think we are in very good shape for OL in comparison to this past fall. Only real concern is we need to find a center who can block and snap in shotgun. Helt had to play a hurt at Center because we didn't have a guy ready to step up.

But with OC Beathard and both our RB and OL groups being stacked deep, with 9 months to get them ready ... it is going to be fun to watch our run game next fall.

Gabe Megginson .. know any WRs looking to get on field ???

StLRedbird

This makes me think that I’m gonna check in one morning and see a thread that the St Xavier games been replaced too. Spack appears to be a man on a mission this offseason

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
Man, we have a ton of young OL who have seen action .. only notable loss is Helt. But adding Megginson to mix should really bolster the that group nicely .. especially getting him for spring ball.

Think we are in very good shape for OL in comparison to this past fall. Only real concern is we need to find a center who can block and snap in shotgun. Helt had to play a hurt at Center because we didn't have a guy ready to step up.

But with OC Beathard and both our RB and OL groups being stacked deep, with 9 months to get them ready ... it is going to be fun to watch our run game next fall.

The Birds will run it down the throats of many of their opponents next year.

DannyCooksey

StLRedbird said:
This makes me think that I’m gonna check in one morning and see a thread that the St Xavier games been replaced too. Spack appears to be a man on a mission this offseason
He should be. This was very much a wasted season IMO.

and the St. X game has to go. that really needs to be done away with.

StLRedbird

DannyCooksey said:
StLRedbird said:
He should be. This was very much a wasted season IMO.

and the St. X game has to go. that really needs to be done away with.

I think we shoulda probably seen this coming - our offensive struggles this past year, I mean. Spack appears to have let his loyalty to a couple assistants get in the way of what he probably realized should be done. Or it was hubris on his part. I prefer to think it’s the former

redkerr1

Megginson is a hilarious guy. Witty and very smart. You will enjoy his writing.

GratefulRed

fourthandshort said:

Watching that rainbow snap was so painful this season. It threw timing off every play

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:

YES, injuries at C had a big impact. Helt was a warrior. He did a great job battling through injury. It would have been nice to see what he could do completely healthy. If we shore up the C position we could have a seriously potent rushing attack and a strong overall offense.

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:

Spack has been pretty accurate with his optimism on each season. He liked his 2011 and 2012 teams. he was not confident with his 2013 team. He was very confident with his 2014 team despite being picked to finish 6th by MVFC coaches. he was reasonably confident with his 2016 team .. in my mind, that team over-achieved given what we lost and fact that Roberson played entire MVFC cnf season with soft casted fractured throwing hand.

But then 2017 happened .. he was very optimistic, though knew OL would be a challenge, and WR group needed to become more reliable (aka "every day guys"). but he was still vry optimistic .. but was wrong. He was right about how good we were, we saw some very impressive games. Think about the USD game, the YSU game, the SDSU game .. nearly beat them on road with an unproven RS FR QB. But he was wrong in that we were very inconsistent on offense .. and this probably embarrassed him.

So good observation .. probably safe to assume he is on a mission.

MadBird

fourthandshort said:

Did all our young guys use their redshirts already? I think so. Maybe not Evan Day? Would be a way to get someone an "extra" year if not.

I know I sometimes am the only one who beats this drum, but nice to get an Illinois kid too, I mean State of Illinois, central Illinois kid. Better than him going to WIU or EIU, etc .

fourthandshort

GratefulRed said:
fourthandshort said:

Watching that rainbow snap was so painful this season. It threw timing off every play

I thought I was only guy who noticed that .. ball floated high way to many times.

Southbound

fourthandshort said:
GratefulRed said:
fourthandshort said:

I thought I was only guy who noticed that .. ball floated high way to many times.
I thought it got like 3/4 of the way and just stopped. Jake had to reach forward to grab it.

crazzymark

will add to a rotation on the OL, tons of talent and we haven't even seen Ridgeway play yet and he will be a NFL caliber OL player in 4 years ...as will many of the OL..

Top Bottom