Offensive Coaching Changes

Redbird78

cpacmel said:
I wish they would retain Clark just as the OL coach.

Might be able to say the same about Dicken and QB, but have to trust that Coach saw a need for wholesale change.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Just as CYA, Randy has said some have been let go, but can't confirm which ones yet.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/932646996489523200

Redbird28

I don't think this would ever happen but the more I think about it, the more I wish they would try to pull Derek Leonard away from Rochester and have him run the offense. He's clearly capable of creating an offensive monster as he's demonstrated throughout the years there, and even though it's high school I think his understanding of offense would translate. It'd be an outside the box hire for sure, but a 125-28 record with 6 state championships says this guy understands a winning culture and knows how to instill it.

After this failed Co-OC adventure, the Birds need a solid singular leader that has an offensive vision. Leonard could be that guy, but the question is whether or not it's too big of a leap from High School to FCS. Does anyone know if it's happened successfully before anywhere else?

fourthandshort

Odd that all 3 are going. How do you blame Kiernan for WR problems .. he had no horses to whip. And agree on keeping Clark .. he helped put 3 home grown guys in NFL camps last year.

Very glad Dicken is gone. Just not the right guy for this level job. Also very glad Spack pulled trigger fast. Start the search early during playoffs and for lead up to signing date.

Beathard ? Stubblefield ?

cpacmel

Redbird28 said:
After this failed Co-OC adventure, the Birds need a solid singular leader that has an offensive vision. Leonard could be that guy, but the question is whether or not it's too big of a leap from High School to FCS. Does anyone know if it's happened successfully before anywhere else?

Leonard is interesting, as I believe he is alum too.

UNLV’s Head Coach went straight from the high school ranks to head coach there.
Gus Malzahn went from high school to Arkansas’s oc.

I’d love to see Luke Huard come back

MadBird

Well, many of us wanted to see changes, now we've got it, can't get too "misty" about the folks involved, altho many of us especially thought Clark had been pretty successful. And I'm a little surprised the Purdue connection didn't keep Dicken around. But if you think Kolbe had a bad year, didn't improve from last year, you might want to get a new QB coach. And if you think the OL didn't develop as planned/needed, time to move on there too. And the WR's weren't productive. Etc. etc.

Wonder if there weren't some hard feelings maybe during these two years of co-OC's? Some conflicts with Spack that came out and he just wanted to start fresh with a whole new offensive coaching team?

I'd think the jump from HS to FCS might be too much but you never know. Some of our assistants, not just this group but for a while, arrived with only a couple years experience at the DII or III level, or maybe as graduate assistants at FBS. Easy to argue several years of successful HS experience might be sufficient.

You'd like to think Spack has what is viewed as a solid program and could recruit some decent guys.

SteveO

While the defense had its off moments during the year, they did prove to be one of the best in the FCS. How nice would it be to have an Offense performing at a similar level.

StLRedbird

In a perfect world, things like this wouldn't happen, but this probably needed to happen. Agree with the kudos to Spack for doing it quickly, if it's gonna be done. Also hope the all involved land on their feet.

Reggie Redbird

cpacmel said:
Redbird28 said:

You know I'm a fan of giving Luke Huard a shot as OC. He is also someone who could be a potential HC down the line.

I wonder with Clark if he was offered to go back to just OL and turned it down. We'll never know, but he's the one I'm surprised isn't staying in some capacity.

Redbirdfan21

cpacmel said:
Redbird28 said:

Derek played QB at Illinois College. His dad, Ken, is an ISU grad

WoodlandWarrior

I played against Ken Leonard in high school. A fine player in his own right and great coach at Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin.

Never like to see people losing their jobs, but I think it needed to happen. I was actually thinking about whether or not it would be a possibility to let Dicken go on Saturday. I initially thought maybe they'd keep him around as QB coach, but Jake has not only not progressed as a QB, but, IMO, has maybe even regressed some this season. Spack is a pretty loyal guy though, so a bit surprising if true.

Would this be the first time he's let members of his coaching staff go? Can't think of any off the top of my head...

DannyCooksey

A good coach is a good coach no matter what level. That's my take anyway. If this Leonard guy is the goods..........he will succeed anywhere.

For the record, Gerry Faust went from Cincinnati Moeller HS to HC at Notre Dame in 1981. Can't think of a bigger jump ever than that. He wasn't very good but that's besides the point.

Spack should cast a net far and wide and find a great coach. This is an attractive job and I have to think he is going to find an excellent coach. I am very glad he acted swiftly. This change should also fully ensure an open QB competition this off-season as everyone starts from Square 1.

Hamdonger

Derek Leonard could coach on Sundays. Not kidding, no exaggeration. He's stayed at Rochester because of his young family and he has a wonderful thing rolling. He has been sought after, somewhat, but the time and energy commitment to coach at the next levels are ENORMOUS...and always at the expense of your family.

SHG and Rochester highlight what athletics is all about.

A little insight into the Leonard family. IT'S WORTH THE WATCH. If you pray...well...

http://www.channel1450.com/2017/10/05/letters-for-liz-where-faith-family-and-football-takes-on-a-whole-new-mission/

GratefulRed

Total Red said:
Offensive coaches Billy Dicken , Dan Clark (Co- OCs) and Kane Keirnan (WRs) are not being retained.

What is the source? Still not seeing this in the news anywhere.