Offense... Again.

Retire 12

We simply don't have one.

I saw a nice little 3 man game between MY, EC, and Gass resulting in a 3 off the weave, but that's it.

No movement whatsoever. Our offense seriously needs addressed.

Retire 12

1 minute left... and we jack a 3 down 2 with an inside advantage?

Metamoron

I have always hoped that whenever Marty gets fired we could hire him as our offensive coordinator.

Birdman85

We should have been pounding it in all night last night. Drake has zero inside strength.

ekeyfanclub

Birdman85 said:
We should have been pounding it in all night last night. Drake has zero inside strength.
Muller said in the post game that Drake does a really great job of fronting the post and that led to us purposely not going to the post as often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DoubleDeuce

As long as I remember the Alex Rubin/Austin Hill team that could barely get into the 50s on offense, I will not complain about scoring 70+.

DWRedbird

Birdman85 said:

I agree, Drake has little inside strength, but they do have some athleticism in their "bigs" . I actually think Muller made exactly the adjustments we needed to when we added a little motion and started driving our wings to the basket. This game's second half and the second half of the UNI game are the first times all year where I've thought we were actually starting to play to our strengths. The stuff where we just start jacking up terrible threes has to stop though.

Retire 12

If you're not worried about the lack of offensive motion, then we obviously won't agree here.

I feel like lately this has been our recipe:

1st half - try and out athlete them
2nd half - make adjustments based on what we are seeing.

Nothing wrong with the 2nd half. it's winning us games.

But we look really really lost on the offensive end in the 1st half of games right now. That's a recipe for disaster in St. Louis.

BirdsEyeView

Retire 12 said:
If you're not worried about the lack of offensive motion, then we obviously won't agree here.

But we look really really lost on the offensive end in the 1st half of games right now. That's a recipe for disaster in St. Louis.

When they went on their run in the first half, we were jacking up nothing but 3s.

Benson tweeted at half:
Evans 3 of 7 on 3s in first half
Everyone else 2 of 21!!

Inside out is the best approach for making 3s at a higher rate. Whether that be dribble penetration by MY (ala UNI 2nd half) or throw it down low to Fayne/N'Diaye and back out.

ekeyfanclub

BirdsEyeView said:
Retire 12 said:

When they went on their run in the first half, we were jacking up nothing but 3s.

Benson tweeted at half:
Evans 3 of 7 on 3s in first half
Everyone else 2 of 21!!

Inside out is the best approach for making 3s at a higher rate. Whether that be dribble penetration by MY (ala UNI 2nd half) or throw it down low to Fayne/N'Diaye and back out.

The 2 of 21 was both Drake and ISU. I believe Drake was 1 for 10. Ours wasn't much better. I think we forced some 3's in the first half, but I also think we had some good looks that just didn't fall.

I agree about the dribble penetration but I would say that it applies to everyone not just MY. We have much better ball movement when we drive to the basket. Evans and Clarence both had a couple of assists doing that.

Baltimore Bird

Other than a 5 minute stretch in the 1st half, I thought we played pretty well. There were several lazy passes made that led to steals and layups at the other end and the fouling of jump shooters has to stop. Hein and Gassman are unable to stop the dribble drive and that leads to more layups or kickouts for open jumpers.

10 blocks was huge for us and numerous other times Drake was near the basket and had to alter their offensive plan because of the fear of the block. Their small lineup worked against them in that regard.

For me, the turning point of the game was Hein fouling out near the beginning of OT with the game tied. I said to my wife that we would win the game at that moment. Timmer missed 2 free throws and without Hein in the game we were better on both ends of the court. He has had his moments including a huge 3 at one point, but his plus/minus was a negative IMO last night. I suspect he was playing so much because of illness and EC was not any better.

All of the minutes our top 9 played during the year really helped last night. I am hoping we get to see more of TB at Loyola.

MadBird

Retire 12 said:

I'm with you on this one, 12, it's been a sore spot with me almost the whole time Muller has been here. Very hard to figger out what we're trying to do on offense, which has led me to conclude either we don't have one - ie. the offense IS chuck up the first three they see or bust out on a break - or the team totally ignores the plan and coach does nothing about it. I exaggerate a little, BUT other than last year when we seemed to have some semblance of a scheme and a point guard who ran it (even tho there were stretches when the "chucker" offense seemed to take over).

Now, we do seem to have some nice "back door/alley oop" type plays from time to time, and they do work the ball around on the perimeter from time to time. But we look a little unstructured to me. Doesn't seem to kill us all that much, but it's not like we're world beaters either.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
So Sports Reference uses a stat called BPM or Box Plus/Minus. You can read about it here

This is against an "average" basketball player. OBPM is offensive and DBPM is defensive.
Code:
<i>
</i>Player			OBPM	DBPM	BPM
Milik Yarbrough		5.3	2.3	7.6
Phil Fayne		1.6	0.5	2.1
Keyshawn Evans		4.9	-3.2	1.7
Taylor Bruninga		0.5	-1.9	-1.4
William Tinsley		-2.3	2.4	0.1
Isaac Gassman		0.2	-0.2	-0.1
Daouda Ndiaye		-2.2	4.6	2.4
Madison Williams	-1.7	0.7	-1
Luke Litwiller		1.5	-1	0.5
Matt Hein		-4	0.2	-3.9
Jerron Martin		-5.3	-1.5	-6.7
Elijah Clarance		-8.8	-1.4	-10.2

Bird Friend

isuquinndog said:
So Sports Reference uses a stat called BPM or Box Plus/Minus. You can read about it here

This is against an "average" basketball player. OBPM is offensive and DBPM is defensive.
Code:
<i>
</i>Player			OBPM	DBPM	BPM
Milik Yarbrough		5.3	2.3	7.6
Phil Fayne		1.6	0.5	2.1
Keyshawn Evans		4.9	-3.2	1.7
Taylor Bruninga		0.5	-1.9	-1.4
William Tinsley		-2.3	2.4	0.1
Isaac Gassman		0.2	-0.2	-0.1
Daouda Ndiaye		-2.2	4.6	2.4
Madison Williams	-1.7	0.7	-1
Luke Litwiller		1.5	-1	0.5
Matt Hein		-4	0.2	-3.9
Jerron Martin		-5.3	-1.5	-6.7
Elijah Clarance		-8.8	-1.4	-10.2
[/quote]

Based on that, we should be seeing more of Luke Litwiller.

Bird Friend

isuquinndog said:
David is second highest total of BPM on the team because of his defense. I found that really interesting.

Based on the chart, we should be seeing more of Luke Litwiller.

Top Bottom