O-Line Update

redbirddad10

Can anyone give some detail on the status of the O-Line? Big Question coming into season, running game seems to have gotten off to strong start but see a bunch of new names out there recently???

Virginia Redbird

redbirddad10 said:
Can anyone give some detail on the status of the O-Line? Big Question coming into season, running game seems to have gotten off to strong start but see a bunch of new names out there recently???

Article from the Pantagraph. Both starters on the O-Line are expected back next game according to Coach Spack. Injuries but their backups played well.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/young-players-fill-in-just-fine-for-redbirds/article_7fadd540-b5d6-5a26-ab4f-6acfe6db9ed1.html

DannyCooksey

Depth

gotta love it. Those two guys played well in relief. Makes the starters work harder. the players behind them can replace them if their play suffers.

fourthandshort

Reallky liking the OL progress so far ... 3 more games to hone themselves until we get hit with 5 straight top 10 teams .... we got this, right guys ??

This offense is stocked deep for next 2 years .. only going to get better. Ironically, I think next season, we'll be talking about how good our offense is and that our defense will be the work in progress .. losing several Seniors at DT and DB .. but we will reload there, like we always do on defense.

Way to go OL group .. just keep plugging away !!!

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
Reallky liking the OL progress so far ... 3 more games to hone themselves until we get hit with 5 straight top 10 teams .... we got this, right guys ??

This offense is stocked deep for next 2 years .. only going to get better. Ironically, I think next season, we'll be talking about how good our offense is and that our defense will be the work in progress .. losing several Seniors at DT and DB .. but we will reload there, like we always do on defense.

Way to go OL group .. just keep plugging away !!!

I agree. Very encouraged by the progress of these O Linemen. I think it speaks to overall depth and talent of the roster. There is excellent competition every day in practice. No choice but to work hard and improve.

I think only a really talented player is on the 2-deep and others behind working to move up. Only the really strong programs can boast that.

Virginia Redbird

A good article in the Pantagraph regarding the Offensive Line.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/youthful-isu-offensive-line-prospering/article_3156034a-cd37-5b8d-a7d7-07ef3b1ceacb.html

fourthandshort

Good find Virginia .. nice article. Kudos to the OL group and Coach Dan Clark .. so far so good, but need to keep plugging away. There will be ups and downs and schedule toughens .. got to weather it and continue to improve.

“I’m satisfied where they’re at right now,” said Clark. “But you’re always pushing for more. I know what this conference (Missouri Valley) is going to give these guys. It’s a grind. It’s going to be a grind this next eight weeks.”

p.s. translated, we're not quite "there" yet, but we're getting there

crazzymark

as I said in the preseason..depth is amazing for this REDBIRDS..better that many D1 programs

Virginia Redbird

This is the same article the Randy wrote for the Pantagraph but it is now picked up by the NCAA website on the FCS page news stories. Nice the Redbirds are getting some wider exposure.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-09-27/fcs-illinois-states-youthful-offensive-line-prospering-undefeated

redbirddad10

Thanks, I found the articles since requesting the info and my first impression was great news that we have strong back ups. Really impressive at the FCS level but not a surprise considering the stacked classes Spack's Coaches have been bringing in for multiple years now. Go Birds.