Northern Iowa vs Wisconsin on BIG Ten Network

ChiRedbirdfan

These teams are playing their charity game tonight at 7:00 PM. On DirectTv the Big Ten Network is around 612. Good chance to get a sneak preview of Northern Iowa.

I disagree with those that don't believe ISU should play a game like this due to potential injuries. The fact remains that injuries can occur in practice as much as in games. ISU really needs the in game experience as much as any team.

ChiRedbirdfan

Even though it is only a practice game and it was on the road I gotta say that UNI looks weak. Uni moves the ball well and is disciplined by they could not create any offense. Their guards could not do a thing offensively. Wisconsin dominated and this is suppose to be a rebuilding year for them. Great experience for UNI to play a tough road game in front of a big crowd.

V Boy

UNIs guards are not strong. They will be overmatched against P5 teams. But against Valley teams they might be good enough. That’s one of the more interesting storylines of the year IMO.

MadBird

Attended the game tonight (had the best seats I've ever had for a game, Row E behind the scorer's table, so maybe 5 rows up, half court, not our regular seats!).

UNI scored the first 10 points, in fact, Juwan McCloud scored the first ten points (then was held scoreless the rest of the way). Then UW ran off something like 17-2 and the horse was out of the barn, as they say.

UNI looked very weak. The Badgers are replacing 4 starters, had 2 freshman playing big roles, and a little used reserve (a 7 foot Belgian) starting. But they had little trouble with the Panthers, once that opening segment - about 5 minutes or so - was over.

I saw ISU handle UNI last year at RA, and was kind of skeptical of UNI being ranked so high this year, based on that game. Koch was manhandled tonight by Ethan Happ. They started a freshman from Twin Cities at #2 guard and he was pretty impressive. Kid from Texas, 6'7 Isaiah ______, looked pretty decent. That was about it. They have a ways to go.

BirdsEyeView

Not sure why this might surprise anyone?

They lost their leader in 5 statistical categories last year in Jeremy Morgan. And, if you all recall, they were not good last year to begin with when he was on the team. You lose him coupled with an average team to begin with...you get growing pains and what happened last night. Wisconsin is young, but the talent discrepancy is big.

I'm sure Jacobson will get them turned in the right direction, but people get blinded by a Coach's resume and don't actually look at the roster being put on the floor. This is one of those cases and why they were picked top 3 in the conference this year.

ChiRedbirdfan

BirdsEyeView said:

They lost their leader in 5 statistical categories last year in Jeremy Morgan. And, if you all recall, they were not good last year to begin with when he was on the team. You lose him coupled with an average team to begin with...you get growing pains and what happened last night. Wisconsin is young, but the talent discrepancy is big.

I'm sure Jacobson will get them turned in the right direction, but people get blinded by a Coach's resume and don't actually look at the roster being put on the floor. This is one of those cases and why they were picked top 3 in the conference this year.

The only thing that surprises me is that many have UNI in the top 3 or 4 in the MVC including some predicting they could win it. UNI should get Jacob Keller off their football team and use him at the guard position.

BirdsEyeView

ChiRedbirdfan said:
BirdsEyeView said:

The only thing that surprises me is that many have UNI in the top 3 or 4 in the MVC including some predicting they could win it. UNI should get Jacob Keller off their football team and use him at the guard position.

UNI had to come from behind to defeat UNC-Pembroke (D2) the other day, and the comeback only happened with the best two players on Pembroke fouled out.

Yikes.

Top Bottom