Northern Iowa - 12/31/2022 - 2:00 PM - Marquee

ISU86

Last game of 2022. Return to CEFCU Arena.

This will be a telling game. We have come out slow and sluggish nearly every game, and UNI (Ben Jacobson) seemingly has had our number. The first half of the UIC game was borderline embarrassing (if that game occurred last season the villagers would have been clamoring for HCDMs head on a stick). Maybe it was nine days between games and the journey to get away from campus (did some fly Southwest (?)). It was not a good sign to feel the need to play Stadelman eight minutes, while scholarship players Andrews and Schmitt cannot get on the floor during that same time (although the UIC play-by-play guy thought Alston was not only playing but scored as well). Only Miller has now not seen the court.

We do not appear to have any urgency offensively, slowly reverting back to what appears to be last season (lots of shot clock issues and forced outside shots). Finishing around the rim is also a concern.

Hopefully, the character some hoped/thought was starting to appear in early December games returns to put a bow on the year. Whether is be a coach and/or player, someone(s) has got to figure out how to get this team out of the starting blocks earlier in the game.

If Sandage is available and shooting well, this may allow the rest of the offense to flow. Someone also needs to set Lewis up, he cannot seemingly drive the lane and not turn the ball over. On defense, we cannot afford to have either Tytan Anderson or Bowen Bourn go off.

It would be nice to have Jacobsen's number for once. I think it may happen.

Redbirds 69, Panthers 66

NOTE: we are averaging 3,351 at home (fifth out of twelve in the conference). Largest crowd was the opener versus Western Illinois (4,133). Over/under whether we are above/below for this game?

Phantom

Agree on all. It'd be nice to come out fast and set some tempo. Fortunately there's only a couple days since the last game (if the long breaks between games & ugly starts is any correlation.) Hopefully Sandy is ready to go.

Despite their lackluster start, obviously you never count a Ben Jacobsen team out. We just need to start well...and get back to the FT line, which had been a big early plus for us. Reduce/eliminate their second chance looks and for the love of Christ start securing rebounds and loose balls (hands and strength need to be a focus in the offseason.)

Last 2 games showed some life in the second half, but if we don't wait that long again, we can win this one.

Crowd-wise. would obviously love to see the over from the opener. Had we won last night and come in 7-7 (2-1) it might be worth a few more folks. Historically we've drawn pretty decent on New Years Eve, but attendance is down everywhere in the league so it's not like we're gonna put 8K in the building for this one. I'd guess 4K, but who knows. I'll be there with a couple others, snagged the Student for a Day tix so it'll be fun revisiting the old stomping grounds (too bad Section D no longer exists :cool:)

P

Popsto4

Last game of 2022. Return to CEFCU Arena.

This will be a telling game. We have come out slow and sluggish nearly every game, and UNI (Ben Jacobson) seemingly has had our number. The first half of the UIC game was borderline embarrassing (if that game occurred last season the villagers would have been clamoring for HCDMs head on a stick). Maybe it was nine days between games and the journey to get away from campus (did some fly Southwest (?)). It was not a good sign to feel the need to play Stadelman eight minutes, while scholarship players Andrews and Schmitt cannot get on the floor during that same time (although the UIC play-by-play guy thought Alston was not only playing but scored as well). Only Miller has now not seen the court.

We do not appear to have any urgency offensively, slowly reverting back to what appears to be last season (lots of shot clock issues and forced outside shots). Finishing around the rim is also a concern.

Hopefully, the character some hoped/thought was starting to appear in early December games returns to put a bow on the year. Whether is be a coach and/or player, someone(s) has got to figure out how to get this team out of the starting blocks earlier in the game.

If Sandage is available and shooting well, this may allow the rest of the offense to flow. Someone also needs to set Lewis up, he cannot seemingly drive the lane and not turn the ball over. On defense, we cannot afford to have either Tytan Anderson or Bowen Bourn go off.

It would be nice to have Jacobsen's number for once. I think it may happen.

Redbirds 69, Panthers 66

NOTE: we are averaging 3,351 at home (fifth out of twelve in the conference). Largest crowd was the opener versus Western Illinois (4,133). Over/under whether we are above/below for this game?
Our offense kinda need an overhaul at this point in the season. It’s kinda bad to be honest. Call me bias if you want but. Mal playing pg is probably the best option but then again the best 3 pt shooter on the team isn’t have plays ran for him and it’s hurting the team

Bird Friend

Fifteen points in the first 10 minutes. Then flat . . . flat, flat, flat . . . 10 turnovers . . . without McCheese, we'd be getting our butts really handed to us. Man do we need a true PG . . . and a true big . . .

Manchester Matt

Not sure where Cheese was in the final seven minutes of the half, but he sure was good in the first half of it.

The bench is far too deep right now. He played 11 players in the first half, and I’m not sure why.

P

Popsto4

Not sure where Cheese was in the final seven minutes of the half, but he sure was good in the first half of it.

The bench is far too deep right now. He played 11 players in the first half, and I’m not sure why.
Yep he gotta pick his 7 8 at the most I think.

P

Popsto4

Yep he gotta pick his 7 8 at the most I thin
Based on what I’ve seen this game and so far this season I think the Birds are going to get a really good draft choice when the season is over.
Lol, I think most of the problems are offensively. The talent may be lacking but it’s not like they’re giving up 100 per night. No one sprints to their spots offensively, play way too slow, other than Liam none of our bugs should be taking 3 point shots. No true pg is the biggest issue I see. Not enough screens are being ran, and we don’t have any idea about our rotation yet. I say scrap this offense and implement new sets.

Top Bottom