NIU Coach Leaves

MadBird

Since they're a future opponent, and he's a former ISU coach, this seems like a legit post here:

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-rod-carey-expected-next-temple-head-coach/
Rod Carey is expected to be the next head coach at Temple, sources told FootballScoop on Thursday. We are told the deal has not yet been signed, but Carey is the pick and Temple is expecting to get the deal done today.

Carey is currently the head coach at Northern Illinois, where he is 52-30 in six full seasons. He guided the Huskies to MAC championships in 2014 and 2018.

Now, I know NIU has been kicked around quite a bit on these pages, but would Spack be a possible candidate for that job, being he's from Rockford and all? Would that be a move up? Article says Carey made $600K plus at NIU - how's that stack up with what Spack gets here? Would they consider him a "good" candidate?

StLRedbird

I recollect Spack having turned down multiple MAC head coaching jobs before taking the job here, but I could be remembering that wrongly. At the time I thought it reflected how difficult he thought it would be to succeed in the MAC.

Temple hasn't sucked as badly as they did before they got kicked out of the Big East. But that's not an easy place to win. Actually, it's been a stepping stone job recently. That might be Carey's motivation.

MadBird

StLRedbird said:
I recollect Spack having turned down multiple MAC head coaching jobs before taking the job here, but I could be remembering that wrongly. At the time I thought it reflected how difficult he thought it would be to succeed in the MAC.

Temple hasn't sucked as badly as they did before they got kicked out of the Big East. But that's not an easy place to win. Actually, it's been a stepping stone job recently. That might be Carey's motivation.

Seems like kind of an odd move to me, him being a total Midwest guy but maybe StL you've hit it on the head - really nothing between MAC and the Big 10+ in the Midwest. This gives Carey a step up toward what would almost surely be his dream job in the Big 10+.

I would agree with your comment about Spack turning down MAC in the past, but am wondering (and hoping he's not) if he'd consider NIU.

Redbirdwarrior

Not worried about the MAC luring Spack, but I am worried about Fitzgerald possibly getting scooped out of Northwestern and Brock getting a SWEET job in Evanston.

MadBird

Redbirdwarrior said:
Not worried about the MAC luring Spack, but I am worried about Fitzgerald possibly getting scooped out of Northwestern and Brock getting a SWEET job in Evanston.

I'd say you're overrating Spack a little, at least until he gets back to Frisco and/or hits a couple 8 or 9 win seasons back to back.

NIU, maybe. NU, no chance.

And I believe Fitz is a lifer, altho could be wrong. I get the feeling the Packer job was his if he wanted it.

Here's an article from the DeKalb paper. A couple names seem like a stretch, but the best news is Spack is not mentioned. The paper speculates P5 assistants with history at NIU, for the most part (I'm not sure a couple of them would leave to come back to NIU, but what do I know?)..

https://www.daily-chronicle.com/lists/2019/01/09/4c417a5b08344203a17d07c20254a218/index.xml?page=5

Chi-bird

If the Packers indeed want and offer Fitz....he could stick around where he is loved, while simultaneously leveraging that offer into a ridiculous contract at NW. By ridiculous, I mean as close to a lifetime contract as one can get.

As far as Spack and NIU - I don't see it happening (even if offered), but I wouldn't rule it out. I think we're above many MAC shools for Spack and it would be a step back taking a job in Ohio, etc. where he may not have as many ties and there are many FCS and FBS schools. NIU is different in that it is closer to the Chicagoland and Rockford Market. His recruiting ties would not need to change, etc. If he ever wants to go BIG 10, I'm afraid he will have to prove himself somewhere other than here. My hope and guess is that he's happy where he is and that he still sees us as a sleeping giant. The MVFC is kicking ass, and unlike the MVC, we aren't losing our best teams. Even if we were to, we have a number of programs that are damn solid, softening the blow.

TIMMY

MadBird said:
Since they're a future opponent, and he's a former ISU coach, this seems like a legit post here:

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-rod-carey-expected-next-temple-head-coach/
Rod Carey is expected to be the next head coach at Temple, sources told FootballScoop on Thursday. We are told the deal has not yet been signed, but Carey is the pick and Temple is expecting to get the deal done today.

Carey is currently the head coach at Northern Illinois, where he is 52-30 in six full seasons. He guided the Huskies to MAC championships in 2014 and 2018.

Now, I know NIU has been kicked around quite a bit on these pages, but would Spack be a possible candidate for that job, being he's from Rockford and all? Would that be a move up? Article says Carey made $600K plus at NIU - how's that stack up with what Spack gets here? Would they consider him a "good" candidate?
Also puts him 2 hrs closer to his casual getaway place in Wisconsin.

fourthandshort

I'd be stunned if he left for NIU job ... but I think he would do ok at MAC level and NIU might be most logical fit for Spack But I also don't think it offers anywhere near the job satisfaction he gets at ISU. Plus, they've had some success in recent years .. and I don't think he could improve much on what they've done. Another plus, I believe he really wants to coach this 2019 team ... he knows something really special is already brewing on this defense. And his offense is 2 positions away from another playoff run .. QB and WR .. that and placekicker. He wants to prove 2014 was not a fluke for his program.

Spack is a builder not a climber.

ChiRedbirdfan

Redbirdwarrior said:

Spack to Northwestern? If this post is serious that one is really out there, IMO. I think you would have a better chance of predicting the numbers of the next 10 power ball drawings than of Northwestern picking Spack as a head coach.

If Spack could get a nice contract (5-6 years) then NIU would seem to be a possibility at least financially if he nearly doubles his salary... esp given his age where he could bank a lot of money as he heads towards retirement. I wonder if being an employee from one state of Illinois university to another state of Illinois university would help him continue to build his state of Illinois pension (assuming ISU athletics are part of state employees retirement pension?) That may be a big difference from the other MAC universities?

ChiRedbirdfan

Reggie Redbird said:
cubird said:
Double his salary.

I thought he made between $400k-$450k here. However, even if we bumped his pay to $500k, we still couldn’t pay him close to NIU.

Why would ISU bump his salary? As of recent it is not like Spack has been setting the world on fire...basically 3 straight years of 500 winning percentage and only a playoff loss. Next year may be another 500 or so year, IMO. Question is would NIU want him?...a few years ago I would definitely say yes but now who knows?

Virginia Redbird

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Reggie Redbird said:
cubird said:
Double his salary.

I thought he made between $400k-$450k here. However, even if we bumped his pay to $500k, we still couldn’t pay him close to NIU.

Why would ISU bump his salary? As of recent it is not like Spack has been setting the world on fire...basically 3 straight years of 500 winning percentage and only a playoff loss. Next year may be another 500 or so year, IMO. Question is would NIU want him?...a few years ago I would definitely say yes but now who knows?

I like Coach Spack and hope he stays in Normal but I also agree with Chi. The last few years have been mediocre. Spack totally mishandled the Offensive Coordinator position when he decided to go with the Co-Coordinator concept for two years. He and the Birds had a great run to the National title game a few years ago but overall the Birds performance in the playoffs is less than impressive. A really nice win over App State on the road a few years back. The National Title game run but then you also have the loss at home to Richmond where you could make a case they were embarrassed and the debacle of a 4th quarter at Central Arkansas. After the close loss to the Bison in Frisco I think his stock was way up but in the years since it has probably dropped quite a bit.
Maybe NIU would be interested but I would not put money on it. I really cant imagine Northwestern making that move. There are issues for a coach at Northwestern that would make it difficult to put a winner on the field consistently. Kudos to Fitzgerald for the job he has done at a school that is not a football factory. But Northwestern has just dropped a bundle of money on facilities for football and I just cant see any scenerio where Fitzgerald departs and they pick up an FCS coach. Just my opinion but that is the way it goes with coaches quite frequently. When you win everyone wants you but lose a few games and...nobody knows your name.

fourthandshort

VA RB .... good post, interesting you raised the 4th qtr debacle of 2016 UCA game ... very similar to this season ... where a single quarter, with couple mistakes undid us. Only difference was the UCA game happened in Q4. This year it was usually 1st or 2nd quarter, only to spend rest of game catching up .... but same thing with couple key mistakes (turnovers, special teams miscues, bad field position, etc). That UCA game was impressive one for us for 3 quarters .. .6-5 team completely manhandling a highly ranked 9-2 team with their very impressive defense and pretty good offense .. and on the road no less. But then 2 special teams gaffes early in Q4 gave them 10 points and 100% momentum shift .. only lost by 7.

That could have been great story for Spack ... 6-5 beats goes on road to beat ranked 9-2 on road ... but 2 plays turned that one and we collapsed. I don't think we had any chance against EWU in round of 16 game on road ... but 6-5 MVFC team making it to round of 16 in the first year of post-Roberson/Coprich .. would have been a nice season, including the win over a very solid Northwestern team. But then wheels fell off offense in 2017. Still very competitive at times, but then couple of inexplicable collapses (NAU, SIU) undid that season.

Learning what it takes to win and overcome adversity when things don't go well .. we struggle with latter. IMO we always seem to show plenty of promise but still have our moments where sh-t happens, and we aren't able to consistently overcome it. Playing in MVFC is part of the challenge and issue ... very few breaks in schedule. But we have to figure how to get over this 6-5 hump ... Spack needs to figure this out. If we figure out how to be consistently pretty good in pass game, next year should be a good year.

Virginia Redbird

I thought I would post a link to a story about the Northwestern $260 million athletic facility. The football practice facility on the lake looks pretty nice! These are the "haves". Beautiful facility. The money in the Power 5 is really staggering. I don't think Fitzgerald is leaving anyway, he has a sweet and steady gig at NU, but if he did depart does anyone think the University is investing this kind of money in the football program and then will go out and pick up a low profile coach?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/10/17219292/northwestern-new-practice-facility

JHBird

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Reggie Redbird said:
cubird said:
Double his salary.

I agree. I don't think NIU's fan base would jump for joy if they signed him now. Note that I like Brock and want him to stay here of course.

ChiRedbirdfan

Virginia Redbird said:
I thought I would post a link to a story about the Northwestern $260 million athletic facility. The football practice facility on the lake looks pretty nice! These are the "haves". Beautiful facility. The money in the Power 5 is really staggering. I don't think Fitzgerald is leaving anyway, he has a sweet and steady gig at NU, but if he did depart does anyone think the University is investing this kind of money in the football program and then will go out and pick up a low profile coach?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/10/17219292/northwestern-new-practice-facility

I went to the unveiling event and was blown away by how nice the facility was even though I had heard great things ahead of time. ISU gotta have a long term plan on how to get into the money as there is a ton of it in college sports.

chuckie1980

Northwestern Practice Facility....do you think there is an apartment there to live in?

Top Bottom