NIT Board announces changes to NIT and use of experimental rules

ISU86

anything to keep the Power 6 from completely disengaging

If this were in place last year, Ohio State (16-19) would have been been a guaranteed selection.

Fox is also pushing for a Power Six postseason "NIT" (of sorts) to be held in Las Vegas.

Metamoron

So what happens as conferences continue to consolidate and there are only 2 conferences left? 🤪🤪🤪

SgtHulka

200.gif

FriscoBird90

IMHO the NCAA is afraid the "power" conferences are on the verge of breaking away and setting up their own playoffs and tournaments for football and the other major sports. Revamping the NIT berth criteria is an attempt to keep such moves off the short-term calendar. In addition, the new NIT criteria begins to smooth the way for expanding the NCAA basketball field to 80 berths to include even more undeserving programs from the "power" conferences while the "mids" get maybe one or two more teams into the field. Either way, eventually the "majors" are going to get the gold mine while the "mid-majors" and "smalls" are going to get the shaft and become, essentially, Division 1-AA. It is, unfortunately, only a matter of time.

Phantom

This is such a pathetic joke and yet, sadly, not surprising.

It all really kicked into gear after the 2006 season. The NCAA hated that. Then for every Loyola or Florida Atlantic (or really any mid-major that made it into the Sweet 16) since then, they hated it even more. The whole country loves stories like that and ratings go through the roof, but nope, can't have anyone but P6's advance or get any share of the spotlight.

Now it's dominoed down to the NIT. They take away the regular season champ auto-bids simply because 17-14 P6 bubble teams who didn't get an at-large cry like a little bitch that they might have to play a road game against a Mid in the NIT. So the NCAA kowtows to those teams for no reason other than perceived TV revenue and a truckload of glad-handing bullshit. F**K the NCAA.

stats

So they are going back to having the committee pick the teams again. I can understand that. Having the 6 pre-determined conferences even before the season starts is wrong. Shouldn't the season have to play out first before they pick the six conferences? Why is there 2 mandatory teams from those conferences? Why is there an automatic home game? I know why, but can they even try to justifu their decisions?

Bird Friend

So they are going back to having the committee pick the teams again. I can understand that. Having the 6 pre-determined conferences even before the season starts is wrong. Shouldn't the season have to play out first before they pick the six conferences? Why is there 2 mandatory teams from those conferences? Why is there an automatic home game? I know why, but can they even try to justifu their decisions?
An apropos Freudian typo . . . JustiFU is exactly what it is.

Aggie

Eventually the big whatever, southeastern regional, the little big whatever and maybe one other all powerful conference break away to have their own tournaments in whatever sports the gambling companies can generate income off of. The ncaa will be out in the back pasture with a lot of company, I.e. everyone else in college sports. Maybe the ncaa can save itself by including 2 more conferences but I doubt it. Lots of entities will do strange things trying to stay relevant but we are where we are, and I am ok with that.

Then eventually the gambling will ruin it, big scandal, etc. And there will be hearings, lawsuits, etc. Therefore eventually someone will come up with the idea to form a governing body to ride herd on college sports. Oh course who knows by then it will be an all on line education environment.

SgtHulka

This is such a pathetic joke and yet, sadly, not surprising.

It all really kicked into gear after the 2006 season. The NCAA hated that. Then for every Loyola or Florida Atlantic (or really any mid-major that made it into the Sweet 16) since then, they hated it even more. The whole country loves stories like that and ratings go through the roof, but nope, can't have anyone but P6's advance or get any share of the spotlight.

Now it's dominoed down to the NIT. They take away the regular season champ auto-bids simply because 17-14 P6 bubble teams who didn't get an at-large cry like a little bitch that they might have to play a road game against a Mid in the NIT. So the NCAA kowtows to those teams for no reason other than perceived TV revenue and a truckload of glad-handing bullshit. F**K the NCAA.
A totally “power conference “ tournament is of no interest to me.

ISU86

I'm not sure it is going to be much interest to some of the power conference teams that make it. There are underachieving power conference teams that decline the NIT almost every year.
Now some of those underachievers will have no choice but to play. Many of their games will be under attended, a fair share of upsets will be had, and the "they were disappointed about being overlooked for the Big Dance and were flat" hand will be played. Rinse and repeat.

stats

Now some of those underachievers will have no choice but to play. Many of their games will be under attended, a fair share of upsets will be had, and the "they were disappointed about being overlooked for the Big Dance and were flat" hand will be played. Rinse and repeat.
One of the best things about the NIT is when a major conference actually had to travel and play in a gym from a small conference. It looks like that won't be happening in the first round anyway. I did not see any logic given why they were guaranteed a home court.

gobirds85

One of the best things about the NIT is when a major conference actually had to travel and play in a gym from a small conference. It looks like that won't be happening in the first round anyway. I did not see any logic given why they were guaranteed a home court.

There is no logic, it's based solely on the almighty $$$. The ncaa will continue to kiss the azz of the bigger conferences in an attempt to appease them, but in the end, they will still leave because it's all about the $$$.

FriscoBird90

In the eyes of the "majors," that is one of the WORST things about the NIT. Having one or more of their middle-of-the-pack or slightly lower programs travel and occasionally lose on the road to "mid-major" programs exposes how little difference there is at times between the eighth-place team in Big Power Conference A and the second or third best team in a conference such as the MVC. Heck, if that keeps up, how are they ever going to continue justifying giving out only two or three NCAA tournament at-large berths to quality non-power conference programs while favoring their own programs with records like 17-14 (8-10)? This obvious, intentional, further slanting of the table toward the power conferences along with the development of new "power conference friendly" qualification criteria really took off after publication of the article explaining how the MVC had "cracked the code" of the RPI.

Top Bottom