NIL

Redbirdwarrior

At the risk of sounding like Crazy Mark, I have been reading lots of quotes from MBB and FB coaches these last few months and they are getting much more open about their opinions that the NIL is killing college sports and making it impossible for 90% of coaches to do what they were hired to do because, instead of recruiting new players and coaching their style, they now have to constantly recruit every player on the team for 4 years and change their style to one where the players can do whatever they like and have no accountability.

Further, the elimination of the sit out year after transfer in addition to players being able to openly chase that bag every year has made college sports free agency each and every year, a model that even professional unions wouldnt dare ask for.

I wanted your thoughts.

Are the NIL and transfer rules killing college sports? If so, how long until they are beyond repair?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
It is for me. Especially at ISU's level. The NCAA president has already suggested that the P5 are going to break off because of NIL.

MadBird

At the risk of sounding like Crazy Mark, I have been reading lots of quotes from MBB and FB coaches these last few months and they are getting much more open about their opinions that the NIL is killing college sports and making it impossible for 90% of coaches to do what they were hired to do because, instead of recruiting new players and coaching their style, they now have to constantly recruit every player on the team for 4 years and change their style to one where the players can do whatever they like and have no accountability.

Further, the elimination of the sit out year after transfer in addition to players being able to openly chase that bag every year has made college sports free agency each and every year, a model that even professional unions wouldnt dare ask for.

I wanted your thoughts.

Are the NIL and transfer rules killing college sports? If so, how long until they are beyond repair?
Surely on life support, at least at the "highest levels", if not dead already.

Instead of trying to figger out how to get the money out of college sports, the effort is in how to spread the dough around. Tail wagging dog.

Read an article today that Ohio State athletic department took in revenue of $280+ million dollars last year.

I have one of those "friend of a friend of a friend" deals - friend of mine's pal is childhood pals with an ACC hoops head coach, winner of national title. Friend tells us coach is sick of putting up with "all this crap", even tho his school/program isn't playing up the "modern" game all that much. Considering getting out at age "mid-fifties". ACC coach is pals with a former Big East coach, who bailed a couple years ago rather than play the "modern" game. Losing good coaches already to the mess.

Redbird60451

I'm probably in the minority of paying the players and make it more like a true contract. You can jump from job to job, but there are repercussions because of a broken contracts. Like if I left my company before my 401K was fully vested, I'd lose all the company match. We hire contractors to do work for us, we can't just go through and hire them when the contract is done without paying a fee to the company we contracted with. It's a business. Sports are a business, that happened with the first televised college football game where some station paid the college the rights to broadcast the game. If you don't want it to be a business, make it a Club Sport where the kids pretty much pay for everything on their own, maybe get a sponsor to pay for matching shirts or something. But there are no fees charged to the student population to put it on. It's not played in big stadiums or on TV. The travel is not really paid for by the school, it's paid for through donations or fund raisers or cookie booths ect.... Pay the kids, make it a true contract, and let them have an agent negotiate it. Let there be repercussions for the contract being broken by either party.

Also this isn't just College sports. Chicago/Suburban Catholic schools recruiting kids to come to their schools. Kids parents moving to an apartment in a different city so their kid can play for a certain public high school. AAU teams steering their kids to specific colleges. Travel Baseball/Softball coaches hold 'camps' to 'train' kids, when they are really scouting them. Sports at all levels are guilty of it in someway.

MadBird

I'm probably in the minority of paying the players and make it more like a true contract. You can jump from job to job, but there are repercussions because of a broken contracts. Like if I left my company before my 401K was fully vested, I'd lose all the company match. We hire contractors to do work for us, we can't just go through and hire them when the contract is done without paying a fee to the company we contracted with. It's a business. Sports are a business, that happened with the first televised college football game where some station paid the college the rights to broadcast the game. If you don't want it to be a business, make it a Club Sport where the kids pretty much pay for everything on their own, maybe get a sponsor to pay for matching shirts or something. But there are no fees charged to the student population to put it on. It's not played in big stadiums or on TV. The travel is not really paid for by the school, it's paid for through donations or fund raisers or cookie booths ect.... Pay the kids, make it a true contract, and let them have an agent negotiate it. Let there be repercussions for the contract being broken by either party.

Also this isn't just College sports. Chicago/Suburban Catholic schools recruiting kids to come to their schools. Kids parents moving to an apartment in a different city so their kid can play for a certain public high school. AAU teams steering their kids to specific colleges. Travel Baseball/Softball coaches hold 'camps' to 'train' kids, when they are really scouting them. Sports at all levels are guilty of it in someway.
Lots of good stuff there. But seems like there could be a middle ground somewhere between "club sports" and Minor League with multi-millions on the line. Somehow.

Rollbirds5

Instead of trying to figger out how to get the money out of college sports, the effort is in how to spread the dough around. Tail wagging dog.

Read an article today that Ohio State athletic department took in revenue of $280+ million dollars last year.

I have one of those "friend of a friend of a friend" deals - friend of mine's pal is childhood pals with an ACC hoops head coach, winner of national title. Friend tells us coach is sick of putting up with "all this crap", even tho his school/program isn't playing up the "modern" game all that much. Considering getting out at age "mid-fifties". ACC coach is pals with a former Big East coach, who bailed a couple years ago rather than play the "modern" game. Losing good coaches already to the mess.
I know that was one of the reasons Lon Kruger retired from Oklahoma. He was close to retirement anyway but he told us if the NIL and the no sit out transfer rule went into effect it wasn't worth the headache just to coach a few more years

Hamdonger

Not too hard to figure who you're talking about. True gamers and honest people! Running great minds and teachers out of the game!! That family came across the country to spend a full day with the wife of a former longtime assistant who had just passed.

Hamdonger

I attend ISU games because I love ISU but I rarely watch college basketball anymore and haven't for several years. Athletics used to be my total life and basketball was always my fave. I lightly keep up...but it is becoming a game that I'm having a hard time recognizing...from every aspect. And I'm not that old!

We have created a basketball temple unto itself and she is a crumbling. The focus on self is the death of us all.

This is not a sustainable model. But I'm not sure that our current society is a sustainable model, either.

Man I'm a grouchy ole fart.

ISU86

I wanted your thoughts.

Wonder if Jay Bilas foresaw all of this when he was preaching from his pulpit?

P4/5 (depending on Big East) athletics are minor league teams and have been for quite some time; the biggest thing they have going for them is the Michigan Wolverines is much more lucrative than the Ann Arbor Anteaters. What "rules" are in place, let alone enforced, are not taken seriously. Anytime P4/5 belches, the rest of the NCAA is there with a bucket to make sure everything is spic and span to their liking (see NIT changes). ABC/Disney/ESPN, CBS, Fox, NBC, etc., although laying off significant staff, still fork over billions of dollars. Tail wagging the dog.

And you cannot put the jeannie back in the bottle.

There will come another day, sooner rather than later, when even the Big Ten and Southeastern will start taking more of the Atlantic Coast and Big Twelve remaining bigger brothers while shedding their own weaker sisters (who have managed to bob and weaver the hatchet). Oregon State and Washington State have already seen it first hand with the Pac 12. Eventually the likes of a Mississippi State or Purdue will be jettisoned because they do not bring enough value to merit their slice of the pie.

SgtHulka

I agree

But don’t call me Shirley

SgtHulka

Not sure what ISUs NIL playbook includes, but where I am now the local players are regulars on local tv commercials. Plumbers…

We should do that. DP needs triangle shaped tots for a special time. The Three Point Tots, brought to you by Johnny Kinziger.

dpdoughbird06

Not sure what ISUs NIL playbook includes, but where I am now the local players are regulars on local tv commercials. Plumbers…

We should do that. DP needs triangle shaped tots for a special time. The Three Point Tots, brought to you by Johnny Kinziger.
The only idea worth putting on the menu was sadly before its time: the Gooey (Megginson) Zone was going to combine all the best attributes of the SmOreo (currently on hiatus) and the Zonut (a recently relaunched calzone stuffed with Denny’s Doughnuts).

If only Gabe could have spent some time in the military or on a Mormon mission and waited a decade for NIL to unlock the profitability in his outsized personality.

ISUBird

I don't know about basketball, but wasn't Annexstad in a car commercial?

DoubleDeuce

I'm all for a player being able to sell his own jersey or sell autographs...but I'm not sure there's a way to keep this honest. Coaches are going to increasingly lose control over their own rosters. Certainly the big money boosters that are paying the players will want more and more say in who the money is going towards. Coaches will need to start negotiating with the boosters on who to recruit and who to retain on their current roster.

DBird

I'm all for a player being able to sell his own jersey or sell autographs...but I'm not sure there's a way to keep this honest. Coaches are going to increasingly lose control over their own rosters. Certainly the big money boosters that are paying the players will want more and more say in who the money is going towards. Coaches will need to start negotiating with the boosters on who to recruit and who to retain on their current roster.
Yep!!!!
Add that to the list of problems with the whole thing!

SgtHulka

The only idea worth putting on the menu was sadly before its time: the Gooey (Megginson) Zone was going to combine all the best attributes of the SmOreo (currently on hiatus) and the Zonut (a recently relaunched calzone stuffed with Denny’s Doughnuts).

If only Gabe could have spent some time in the military or on a Mormon mission and waited a decade for NIL to unlock the profitability in his outsized personality.
The Foster Double Double Zone. Double pepperoni and double sausage

Flingers and Kinziger commercials could be good. Hi. I’m Johnny Kinziger and my favorite pizza is the Fligers…No Johnny. It’s FliNgers. Right. The Fligers Windy City Fire is my favorite pizza. Sigh...

Burford can do Dennison Ford.

Honestly no need for name games. Any commercial that runs locally or on the ESPN+ feed could have player cameos. Any way to sweeten the pot to retain players would be good.

CaliRdBrd

I wanted your thoughts.

No doubt it has ruined college sports, but so has the portal.
Good luck putting those genies back in the bottle.

Top Bottom