NIL chaos

Metamoron

Player (Wong) from Miami says he should get more NIL money than incoming transfer got $800K. Guy who runs Miami’s NIL says “he is under contract and I don’t renegotiate”. Wong says if you don’t up my $$$ I will go into portal or go to NBA. And of course, school can not be involved.

Got to be great for team chemistry……

Jay Wright, Roy Williams, etc made good decisions.

B

BirdGrad2011

This is dangerously close to pay for play. One of the few rules around NIL is it cannot be tied to a school. Get your popcorn because this could be fun with a new President coming into the NCAA soon.

schoolsportsfan

Word on the street is Reeves’ NIL deal was $300,000 and a car. If true, I don’t blame him one bit for leaving ISU. For an organization that promotes fairness in competition, the NCAA has missed their objectives with allowing NIL. Sad.

BTbird

Player (Wong) from Miami says he should get more NIL money than incoming transfer got $800K. Guy who runs Miami’s NIL says “he is under contract and I don’t renegotiate”. Wong says if you don’t up my $$$ I will go into portal or go to NBA. And of course, school can not be involved.

So athletes can have NIL agents but not professional sports agents?

Yogi

for years all I heard wa about how the universities were taking advantage of the kids and that players should be paid ( not on this forum ) now all the complainers got what theyanted they F ed up college ball because of the greed makes me glad to be oldsp I wont see where it ends put me in the stay off my lawn club

BTbird

There’s an approved list of agents the kids can have while maintaining eligibility.
got it. Just seems at this point, might as well let the players do whatever they want. it's not like hiring a professional agent takes away from the integrity of the college game now that NIL is in place.

B

BirdGrad2011

got it. Just seems at this point, might as well let the players do whatever they want. it's not like hiring a professional agent takes away from the integrity of the college game now that NIL is in place.
Think this is more to try to protect kids from scummy agents than anything.

dpdoughbird06

Word on the street is Reeves’ NIL deal was $300,000 and a car. If true, I don’t blame him one bit for leaving ISU. For an organization that promotes fairness in competition, the NCAA has missed their objectives with allowing NIL. Sad.
Devil’s advocate perspective: some guys’ talents don’t translate to the pros as well as others’. Despite how slimy huge NIL paydays feel, it’s kind of nice that a player who can help push a blue blood over the top can make six figures without having to travel overseas - and while at least notionally receiving a free education.

The NCAA was clearly not going to enact anything that made sense anyway, so in some ways blowing the lid off the paying of players issue is preferable.

Bird Friend

You had to know it was gonna happen . . . If money's involved, it'll be abused.

Metamoron

The comment I saw somewhere said that NIL guy at Miami said something about helping him get other NIL deals

Bird Friend

angry david oyelowo GIF by Team Coco

jerry maguire GIF by Jerology

Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Redbird222

A couple of thoughts

1. NIL contracts ... offer bonus that can be clawed back if player leaves. Put in non-compete clauses. Treat them like it is .... a business.

2. Maybe the NCAA should allow players and teams to negotiate the duration of their scholarship. One year deal - both the school or the player can terminate the agreement each season with one year renewals with mutual agreement. A player is eligible immediately upon termintaion of one year deal. School can also offer 2 , 3 or 4 year deals. In a 4 year deal, player could only leave if coach leaves or school releases them to have immediate eligibility. If they leave early, there should be the old wait a year (similar to non compete clauses in business). This might swing the pendulum back a little and make it more balance for both the player and school. Here potentially how

1. When the coach is recruiting a player and that player insists on one year deal you may get some insights on their long term plans
2. Since there may be some repercussions in breaking a muti year agreement (scholarship)
schools may have a better opportunity to potentially retain players longer
3. Player still have the right drop class or go to JUCO without penalty because that would not violate non compete
4. Player is protected and gets scholarship/NIL deals on multi year agreements even if not playing to expectations
5. School and player can mutually agree to part ways and no penalties or wait period if mutual

Just some thoughts and I am sure there are better more well thought out things being proposed. I can't see it staying the same ... its chaotic and detrimental to the sport.

Top Bottom