Committed Elsewhere "Niko" Newsome, 6-5, SG, Bloomington, IL (BHS)

Redbird222

I think a few posters have mentioned that they would like to see us offer him.

Phillygoat

Why haven’t we offered this kid yet? He’s been hooping, I could see him in a Redbird jersey.

Baltimore Bird

He may not be a Pedon type of player. He loves to stare down his opponent and taunt them after a good play. That seems anti Coach Pedon.

B

BirdGrad2011

Remember at most he’s a 17 year old kid (maybe 16). We don’t know how coachable he is. Don’t write off a kid with plenty of time to mature.

DWRedbird

Remember at most he’s a 17 year old kid (maybe 16). We don’t know how coachable he is. Don’t write off a kid with plenty of time to mature.

This. Even the stuff mentioned isn't really that big of a deal, but especially when you remember he is still growing up. From play style I'd love to see this kid in a Redbird uni. I wouldn't be surprised to see his offers take off during summer AAU ball.

cpacmel

I'm with Birdgrad and DW here. Kid reminds me of Osriris when he was that age, both in attitude and his game. He turned out okay. ✅

B

BirdGrad2011

I'm with Birdgrad and DW here. Kid reminds me of Osriris when he was that age, both in attitude and his game. He turned out okay. ✅
And I’m not advocating for a locker room or program cancer, but I’d love a little bit of confidence/swagger in a kid that backs it up with his play. For ISU to truly get its swagger back we are going to have to rub some people the wrong way.

SlackBooDom

BHS coach is former Muiller staffer Spencer Johnson. If there's an issue with this kid playing at the next level because of mindset, his high school coach would most likely fix that.

Bird Friend

Since his only offer so far is from WIU, I’d guess the reason why we haven’t offered is the same as why other schools haven’t offered: coaches aren’t sure yet if he’s got “something” they want to see in him. Could be attitude. Could be grades. Could be maturity. I don’t know what it is, but it seems to me we’d see other programs offering if they thought Niko was going to be ready. Summer will be the critical point for him if more than WIU start offering.

Adunk33

Staff member

The portal has gone so crazy that high school kids are changing schools and making formal announcements….

Anyway, NCHS plays a much different style than NCHS. We’ll see if Newsome can fit in with an already very talented ‘24 class at NCHS in recruits Roman and Webber.

ScoreboardDotRace

I wouldn’t not want this kid just because of a post. Normal has a solid, tenured staff. Will be interesting to see his growth this year.

Dmills

NCHS will be a very interesting team to watch next year. Should have the talent to compete for state.

Top Bottom