NFL Draft

JHBird

Any guesses where Robinson and Kirk go? I'm a Detroit Lions fan (go ahead and laugh) and I'd love it if they took Robinson. I feel like he would do well there. Kirk is another player I always liked. A couple of years ago I was talking to some of our players and they couldn't stop talking about how a big time player Kirk was. I know Devontae Harris was a corner, but is Kirk a better NFL prospect? Harris and really good speed and I loved how he hit.

Right now I'd say Robinson in the 4th round, and Kirk in the 6th round. I feel like both will make an NFL roster. The more players we can get into the NFL the better. I think coming out of High school that Robinson had some interest from Iowa ( maybe as a preferred walk-on???). He could of easily been lost in the shuffle there; so coming here instead and getting playing time immediately probably gave him the best chance for the NFL. Lesson learned to other recruits. You need tape if you're going to play at the next level.

Phantom

They're both for sure getting more attention after their performances in the East-West Shrine game. Hard to guess rounds but Kirk could go higher than 6th to a team that needs secondary depth.

As for JR, 4th sounds about right but he might have a shot at 3rd if teams realize his game speed & power will outdo his combine measurables. He's a great athlete, but an even better football player. The team that understands this will get a damn good RB.

MadBird

David Johnson from UNI went in the 3rd round in 2015. Zach Zenner was undrafted the same year. Coprich undrafted in 2015. Shakir Bell undrafted. Herb Donaldson undrafted.

So, it could be promising, but lots of the top MVFC haven't gotten a bid. Gotta believe his showing in the Shrine Game earns him a something around 4th or 5th or maybe better??

fourthandshort

Its considered a thin draft at RB this year, though RBs are just not valued as much as they used to be and they tend to get drafted lower of late. But he is definitely in the top 5 mix at RB and showed well during his Shrine game week .. he was the talk of Shrine all week at RB position. Only down side is on his 2 big plays, he got caught from behind. So anyone looking for a breakaway threat will not likely value Robinson as much as someone looking for a very tough paitient RB who can quickly see and hit the holes hard. Not sure who that might be.

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
Its considered a thin draft at RB this year, though RBs are just not valued as much as they used to be and they tend to get drafted lower of late. But he is definitely in the top 5 mix at RB and showed well during his Shrine game week .. he was the talk of Shrine all week at RB position. Only down side is on his 2 big plays, he got caught from behind. So anyone looking for a breakaway threat will not likely value Robinson as much as someone looking for a very tough paitient RB who can quickly see and hit the holes hard. Not sure who that might be.

Not being a wise azz but how does it count as being "caught from behind" if the tackle is made in the end zone?

Besides.......there are about 3 guys in the NFL that can house a run from 60+ yards. it just doesn't happen very often in the NFL. Not with how fast the DB's are in the league. a smart GM/HC/OC will see that JR has plenty of juice to get chunk plays.

There are 2 things as I see it JR needs to show to get drafted and get time on the field:

1---receiving ability---which he showed at the Shrine game. he can catch the ball reliably
2--ability to step up in pass protection. this may come with time and good coaching since he didn't do much of this as a Bird. But he has the size, smarts and the willingness to do so and because of that i don't see an issue.

fourthandshort

DannyCooksey said:
fourthandshort said:

Not being a wise azz but how does it count as being "caught from behind" if the tackle is made in the end zone?

Besides.......there are about 3 guys in the NFL that can house a run from 60+ yards. it just doesn't happen very often in the NFL. Not with how fast the DB's are in the league. a smart GM/HC/OC will see that JR has plenty of juice to get chunk plays.

There are 2 things as I see it JR needs to show to get drafted and get time on the field:

1---receiving ability---which he showed at the Shrine game. he can catch the ball reliably
2--ability to step up in pass protection. this may come with time and good coaching since he didn't do much of this as a Bird. But he has the size, smarts and the willingness to do so and because of that i don't see an issue.
point taken on TD run ... though 2 guys closed on him.

I stil love his chances, especially if that proves to be his only weakness at next level. To your point, very few runners have no weaknesses. His vision and patience as a runner will serve him very well .. and he is hard to tackle.

JHBird

If he runs anything below 4.6 I think he'll be golden. He's powerful with nifty foot work; deceptive agility for his size. Yeah, he won't break a 80 yarder in the NFL but still decent speed.

fourthandshort

JHBird said:
If he runs anything below 4.6 I think he'll be golden. He's powerful with nifty foot work; deceptive agility for his size. Yeah, he won't break a 80 yarder in the NFL but still decent speed.

read somewhere credible .. the avg 40 time for NFL RBs is 4.59 .. not sure if that was starters or all rostered NFL RBs. If his forty is right around 4.60 .. his other skills have to push him over. In the right system, that knows and needs his skill set, he will thrive.

Boy, that crazzymark was right for once !!!! He called this day one.

JHBird

fourthandshort said:
JHBird said:

read somewhere credible .. the avg 40 time for NFL RBs is 4.59 .. not sure if that was starters or all rostered NFL RBs. If his forty is right around 4.60 .. his other skills have to push him over. In the right system, that knows and needs his skill set, he will thrive.

Boy, that crazzymark was right for once !!!! He called this day one.

Yeah, Golden probably was the wrong word. To me if he's got average speed then the other stuff will mean more, like his durability, power and shiftiness. We all agree he's not slow, just not a burner. I'm not sure at what speed would the teams be turned off from him...like what is the minimum he would need to not be overlooked? It seems like he has some good tape here. He's kinda of bulky guy, so he was probably moving faster on those long runs than I thought. The other poster was really spot on about the pass blocking though. Nobody wants their 100 million dollar QB's getting flattened on a blitz...but he's got the size to block at least.

fourthandshort

Was looking at a number of RB draft rankings, can't find any with Robinson getting drafted. Trying to recall which one had him going as 5th RB. I thought it was draftscout, but they have him 17th now. I saw on one other list him as 16th RB. I checked about 6 or 7 RB draft projections. Not looking so promising right now. This would suggest he is going to need a good combine.

http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=RB&DraftYear=2020&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

Top Bottom