Next - Mo State Bears

Birdswin

The ole Bears of Mo State - the Birds need to make sure they do not have a let down. Mo State is coming off of a bye week - I would bet, there will be several gadget plays up their sleeve. I believe they run a little triple option from time to time.

Game is at 2:00 - 385 miles from Normal - 5 1/2 to 6 hours driving depending on construction and number of restroom breaks. I would say at 7:00 am take off and get back around midnight or so. Will need to think about this a little.

fourthandshort

I haven't dug in yet, but generally speaking we do well against dual-threat read-option QBs. Spack defenses (now under DC Niekamp) almost always do one thing better than anyone else ... play your position and stay in your lane. It seems like we get a few less sacks than we used to, because our guys know the importance of staying home. But think back to the best read option QBs we've played in recent years .. Christion, Streveler, Stick, etc. We have more trouble with pure QBs in good offenses (Lauletta, Cookus, Straub, McGuire) who can put them ball on dime, than we do against the best dual threat QBs. Spack and Niekamp will have the defense ready. This QB is very average throwing it.

And my confidence in our offense leaves me no doubt, they will struggle to contain our run game, which sets everything up for our pass game. And we've actually go a couple receivers not named Schnell.

My confidence is in 90% range for this game. But other good teams sometimes struggle at MoST ... and they just smoked NAU (without Cookus). So they will put up a fight. But our Redbirds should win by 2 to 3 TDs .. and I wouldn't be surpried if it were more.

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
I haven't dug in yet, but generally speaking we do well against dual-threat read-option QBs. Spack defenses (now under DC Niekamp) almost always do one thing better than anyone else ... play your position and stay in your lane. It seems like we get a few less sacks than we used to, because our guys know the importance of staying home. But think back to the best read option QBs we've played in recent years .. Christion, Streveler, Stick, etc. We have more trouble with pure QBs in good offenses (Lauletta, Cookus, Straub, McGuire) who can put them ball on dime, than we do against the best dual threat QBs. Spack and Niekamp will have the defense ready. This QB is very average throwing it.

Great insight. We finally had a good game against pocket passers on Sat. I hope we can contain Christion one more time this year.

chuckie1980

REDBIRDS 47
Bears 20

I wonder if Kolbe may get some playing time this game. He has played against the Bears.

Adunk33

Staff member
I don't think this game is going to be a cakewalk. Just last week the Bears destroyed No.20 Northern Arizona 40-8. I believe NAU was playing without their starting QB but it was much of the same team that wrecked us last year.

I always like our Birds chance, but since it worked last week, no prediction from me this week either.

This will be the first time Redbird fans will need to get ESPN+ to watch the game.

chuckie1980

I am so over ESPN3,+,etc....

Then we luck out last year watching the NAU game via facebook live...
and this past wkend's coverage via "stadium (Att Sportscast)"….I wish the MVC/ISU switched to this type of feed.

ChiRedbirdfan

chuckie1980 said:
I am so over ESPN3,+,etc....

Then we luck out last year watching the NAU game via facebook live...
and this past wkend's coverage via "stadium (Att Sportscast)"….I wish the MVC/ISU switched to this type of feed.

game was on directv this past weekend too.

DannyCooksey

Anyone know how we came out of the game from Sat injury-wise? Hopefully nothing serious if anything.

Road Valley games are no cakewalk. But running and stopping the run are two things we've done well at thus far and those things always travel well.

fourthandshort

DannyCooksey said:
Anyone know how we came out of the game from Sat injury-wise? Hopefully nothing serious if anything.

Road Valley games are no cakewalk. But running and stopping the run are two things we've done well at thus far and those things always travel well.
<i></i>

very good point ... they also do well in November and December when weather turns.

StLRedbird

This game doesn't cause me much concern. NAU was missing five starters inc. Cookus and played a mistake-filled game. MOST QB had five turnovers. Coaches reaction? He only had five bad plays out of 75. The 'birds are gonna steamroll these guys.

Redbirds 38
Build-a-bears 10

cpacmel

Before Birdswin yells at me....again :evil: :twisted:

Illinois State -9.5

Over / under 54.5

fourthandshort

Birds 41

Da Mini-Bears 14

the line makes no sense. they gave up 24 points to a bad D-II team. the only thing that will keep this game close is lot of rain/wind

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
Birds 41

Da Mini-Bears 14

the line makes no sense. they gave up 24 points to a bad D-II team. the only thing that will keep this game close is lot of rain/wind
My betting accounts are dusty and inactive, but I'm thinkin' about 'em this morning.

Total Red

Staff member
Birdswin said:
The ole Bears of Mo State - the Birds need to make sure they do not have a let down. Mo State is coming off of a bye week - I would bet, there will be several gadget plays up their sleeve. I believe they run a little triple option from time to time.

Game is at 2:00 - 385 miles from Normal - 5 1/2 to 6 hours driving depending on construction and number of restroom breaks. I would say at 7:00 am take off and get back around midnight or so. Will need to think about this a little.

I went to the last two games in Springfield, Mo. It's a lengthy drive but not difficult. They have a fairly impressive stadium and beer is now served in the west stands. The students sit on the east side or should I say student. Mo. St. struggles with student attendance even more than we do. Same situation, lots of students partying outside before the game but not too many inside.

Prediction?
Advantages MSU - This is an improved group of Bears with some bite. They're riding high after 40-8 smackdown of N. Ariz. They're at home and they have had two weeks to prepare.

Advantages Illinois State - This is the Illinois State Redbird Football team. Period.

Final Analysis - Advantage Redbirds

MadBird

I'll guess I'm not the only poster on this board who knows about Lambert's, Home of the Throwed Rolls, but will remind any potential travelers that Springfield is home to a place where you can get enough food in one sitting to hold you for many nights of drinking.

DannyCooksey

Total Red said:
Birdswin said:

Advantages Illinois State - This is the Illinois State Redbird Football team. Period.

Prob one of the best statements I've read on here. :clap:

Top Bottom