New NCAA transfer rule gaining steam...

Redbirdfan21

I know we have another thread on this but I can’t find it. This rule makes more sense to me.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/958377033117196289

This jist if it- if coach gets fired or leaves, those players can leave an not sit out a year. Cannot follow coach and play immediately. Didn’t have time to read the whole article but I’m hoping it would also eliminate the grad transfer rule...

ricohill

This rule is much better than the open market transfer idea. Only downfall is if a coach leaves and the new coach is left with only a few players because everyone transfers.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, I can get on board with this rule. The previous one that was just a free for all would be awful and basically free-agency.

Adunk33

Staff member
Unfortunately, "• Student-athletes who are walk-ons or graduates are eligible immediately after transfer."

Grad-Transfers should have to sit one to play one. How many master's degrees can be completed in 2 years? After all, the point of being a grad transfer is to get a master's degree, right.....

ricohill

Adunk33 said:
Unfortunately, "• Student-athletes who are walk-ons or graduates are eligible immediately after transfer."

Grad-Transfers should have to sit one to play one. How many master's degrees can be completed in 2 years? After all, the point of being a grad transfer is to get a master's degree, right.....

I've always wondered how many grad transfers ever get a masters degree? I wish the NCAA would release that info. My guess is most never step foot in a classroom the second semester or at all.

Adunk33

Staff member
ricohill said:
Adunk33 said:

I've always wondered how many grad transfers ever get a masters degree? I wish the NCAA would release that info. My guess is most never step foot in a classroom the second semester or at all.

I would be shocked if more than 10% actually get their degree. I will say this. I know Hawkins is still going to some classes and at BC. I don't know if he is a candidate for a medical RS or if he is just taking advantage of the free athletic trainers/rehab from his knee injury.

I have a professor, who taught grad classes at KU in the early-mid 2000s. Back then, basketball grad transfers were not as common but when they did come in. They would come syllabus day, and not again until the final, if there was an exam. If not, they would just turn in their final project, usually C work and repeat the next semester.

Redbirdfan21

One thing a buddy of mine mentioned is if you let grad transfer play immediately, you still have to allocate 2 years of scholarships for them, since most grad programs are more than a year. This would keep some of the P5 from poaching MM guys if they have to use two scholarships on them.

Metamoron

How about you only get the scholarship back when the grad transfer graduates with his masters. To me that makes sense, supports the reasons by for the grad transfer rule and would really make both player and coach think it through.

Top Bottom